1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Default Current Location Issues

Hi everyone,

Recently, I have started facing this issue with my phone. It doesn't detect my current location on Google maps or Places in Facebook. When I click on the google maps, it doesn't show the cursor anymore which points to your current location. On facebook, when I click on places, it doesn't show anything, it just says "loading" and it doesn't go anywhere from there. This happens even when I turn the GPS on. Any suggestions, please? Do I need to change any setting? Thanks!
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Is this through the apps or the browser?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty_82 View Post
    Is this through the apps or the browser?
    Both. It doesn't work in either.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

What gps settings are on in your location settings? If not, turn on all three options. When you open the apps, does the gps indicator come on in the notification bar?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Aah, that did the trick.

I turned on the use wireless networks in my locations setting, I must have turned it off at some moment. Thanks mate, appreciate your help. I am apprehensive of turning on the GPS until it's not needed because it kills the battery! I only turn it on when I need to get directions to somewhere.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Not a prob, glad your up and running. Unless an app is using gps it is not running continually, the icon in the notification bar will tell you when its used. I have mine on all the time and haven't noticed much difference. You could always use a toggle widget to quickly turn on and off if needed.

Just as a point on this issue. I had a problem getting my Navigation to get my location yesterday. It finally did after a couple of minutes. Then about a half hour later it came up with a bizarre glitch showing my location at about 1000 miles from where I actually was. I rebooted the phone and things went back to normal. I suspect that regular reboots are pretty essential to clear data paths.

I've had the same problem. My phone would randomly show me in Key West when I was in Tampa a few months ago. I went to talk to a VZW rep about it and another issue. All he told me on the GPS problem was that "they do not guarantee accuracy". Whatever that means.. basically doesn't work.. o well.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

So I was in a Vzw store yesterday and tried the Google Maps... (App I guess?) on the Droid X and for my location it had the "Your location within 800 meters" qualification, just like on my Centro, which really upset me. This is a Google phone after all, I would think the Google app should work.

Has Vzw crippled the Google location thing in favor of VZ Navigator? And if so, is there a way to re-enable it short of rooting?
    Palm1000-> Palm Pilot Pro-> PalmIII-> PalmIIIx-> PalmVx-> Kyocera 7135-> Treo 650-> Centro-> Droid Incredible2-> Samsung Galaxy S4