1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Default Glass Question

Hi All:

I've had my DX for some time now and on day 1 had an Invisible Shield screen protector put on it.

The IS is now showing scratches, nicks and evidence of wear and tear. Sure, I could email Zagg and they'd send me out a new screen protector for the cost of shipping.

My question is, I'm thinking about just doing without a screen protector but am wondering how the Gorilla Glass on the DX has held up for those of you who have run your X screen "naked" for the past several months? I don't abuse my phone by any means and am worried that although I have been reasonably careful with my X, I have still managed to get multiple scratches in the Zagg. So perhaps my active outdoors lifestyle doesn't support an uncovered screen?

I guess what I'm wondering is, have you all found Gorilla Glass to be tougher than a screen protector such as the Zagg?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

I dropped my phone on the asphalt a couple days ago. Screen is fine. It's been in its birthday suit since the day I bought it.

ROM

Bought mine day one 7/15/10 never used any protectors on it, always have it in my pocket, on my desk, in my car cup holder etc, and there is not even the tiniest scratch ont he screen. Gorilla glass makes screen protectors totally useless it is amazing stuff, I almost want to try and scratch it lol.

I have an otterbox case, but no screen protector on it. I always keep my x in my pocket with whatever else may be in there & the screen is flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
    Hi All:

I've had my DX for some time now and on day 1 had an Invisible Shield screen protector put on it.

The IS is now showing scratches, nicks and evidence of wear and tear. Sure, I could email Zagg and they'd send me out a new screen protector for the cost of shipping.

My question is, I'm thinking about just doing without a screen protector but am wondering how the Gorilla Glass on the DX has held up for those of you who have run your X screen "naked" for the past several months? I don't abuse my phone by any means and am worried that although I have been reasonably careful with my X, I have still managed to get multiple scratches in the Zagg. So perhaps my active outdoors lifestyle doesn't support an uncovered screen?

I guess what I'm wondering is, have you all found Gorilla Glass to be tougher than a screen protector such as the Zagg?

Thanks!
    i had Invisible shields on my iphones, and i always ended up taking them off. never liked the feel. the IS is plastic, and its going to show more wear and tear than just normal glass anyway. i've been running mine naked since october and have not one scratch at all. i'm loving it!

+1 for no protector...
    we have a few DXs here and i have yet to see any with a scratch on them.
    our guys aren't gentle with them either.
    every screen protector i have tried seemed to make the display look dull
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

There's no need for it. I've kept all of my touchscreen phones over the last three years in my pocket with change, keys...whatever. Never had one scratch to the screen.

That's it, I'm taking my screen protector off right now............

That's nice that there are so many folks having success with the naked route, but I'm here to tell you that this stuff CAN scratch. I've babied my phone, been meticulously careful, won't put anything else in my pocket with it, have never dropped it. I've had it less than a month and it now has a very small scratch on the glass. I can't imagine how it got scratched, but I guess I'm going to put a protector on it now to avoid any more.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Naked is the only way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Xush View Post
    That's nice that there are so many folks having success with the naked route, but I'm here to tell you that this stuff CAN scratch. I've babied my phone, been meticulously careful, won't put anything else in my pocket with it, have never dropped it. I've had it less than a month and it now has a very small scratch on the glass. I can't imagine how it got scratched, but I guess I'm going to put a protector on it now to avoid any more.
    It's possible that a verizon rep put a screen protector on your phone when you bought it, and you don't know it's there. Try picking lightly at one of the corners with a pin.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

ROM
    Stock

I had a protecter for a couple months, but I got so sick of it I took it off. That was in September and since then no scratches. =)

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

All naked baby!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ROM
    Gummyjar 2.5

There was a gentleman posting on the forums a while back (this one I think) who accidentally dropped his phone on concrete and shattered the screen. After he had the old screen he reported to have taken his set of keys to the broken screen and couldn't put a scratch in them whatsoever. That being said, the whole phone isn't made out of the stuff and cosmetically may still get blemished. I have an otterbox on my DX not because i'm worried about scratches but because I drop my phone like its a live grenade lol.
    MacGyver Wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by azqretin View Post
    All naked baby!

Matches your avatar perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xush View Post
    This is the same EXACT issue I have. I care for this thing as if its my own child and somehow I get 3 tiny scratch marks that are definitely visible on a white background.
    I have no idea how this could have happened as I ALWAYS have it in an empty pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixMike View Post
    This is the same EXACT issue I have. I care for this thing as if its my own child and somehow I get 3 tiny scratch marks that are definitely visible on a white background.
    I have no idea how this could have happened as I ALWAYS have it in an empty pocket.
    It happens because a single grain of sand is harder than the glass.

I go naked on my screen, but like others have said sand will still scratch it. I developed a small scratch on my screen.

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

I just bought a used DX that is scratched ALL OVER the screen ... So yes, it will scratch ..

Luckily, it has a stuck pixel in the display and the warranty replacement gets here on Monday ... A screen protector is going on immediately.

Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    ROM
    GingerBread 2.3.3

Same here. I don't have screen protector on mine as well. Don't see the need since I have protection from a gorilla.

Gorrila is some strong stuff. No need for screen protectors with my DX.

Tapatalk deleted my long post. Will post later

Mine's been naked since I got it...not a scratch on it. I did have a Fascinate for about a month and that has gorilla glass as well, and I did get a small scratch on it, I believe from my dog running over it and stepping on it...but I can't prove that. I was just surprised that it got scratched because I've had quite a few touchscreen phones and have NEVER used a protector...they ruin the clarity of the screen.

I usually like to have one just because I work with all sorts of metals and crap at work. $10 for 2 screen savers, might as well do it.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi