Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Default Another Google Maps Navigation question

Is there any way to plan your own route into google maps? I want to go to a specific destination, and maps shows the route using the major highways. I would like to set my route by using some back roads, all state highways, but not major ones. Kinda like using a via in Street Atlas.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    Superstar Status

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP M5 / Franco

Try getting the initial directions to your work. Then after it loads you should be able to edit the route by touching on the map the ways you would rather take and it should adjust your route. However I suppose that would only work for you if you knew the route you wanted to take.

There is now way to tell it what you want it to include and not include.
    Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting useful replies it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.Anything is possible when you think before you comment or post. Im on a computer.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Thanks for the reply. I do know the route, just want to get it into maps. I have tried the touching method without any luck.
    Thanks again,
    Errol
    Superstar Status

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP M5 / Franco

Yeah, the only way I know is to bring up the directions then to hit menu and see map. Then you can click and edit the way points. I wish it would allow you to set it so it will avoid certain type of roads and favor others like my stand alone GPS will. Maybe something you can suggest to google to work into a future release. Wouldent hurt to pitch the idea
    Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting useful replies it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.Anything is possible when you think before you comment or post. Im on a computer.

you might be able to do it in "google my maps" i know there is a my maps app in the market though i havent tried it

That is one of the things i wish they would make easier with gmaps. i drive trucks so it would be nice if in the nav menu i can press on one of the turns and have a avoid road button. i am glad they added the alternate routes but i think they could do a little better

Once your destination is set and the map is up, touch the bottom left corner where it shows the travel time, then touch the icon that pops up on the bottom right that looks like direction arrows to your final place. That should bring up a screen that has 2 or 3 route directions for you to pick, along with distance and time info. Hopefully, the one you want will be there.

If that doesn't get your desired route, another way is to just set the destination to one of the cities/towns that the route you want to take would bring you through. Once you get there, reset the destination to your final spot. If it still re-routes you off your desired track, you can always keep giving it city destinations along the route you wan to travel.

Sometimes, you just have to force technology to work the way you want it to.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG G4!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

im a noob but one way is couldnt you work the map the way you want on your desktop and then install chrome to phone(requires chrome) and send it that way. then once it opens in google maps on the phone hit the navigate button
    Superstar Status

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP M5 / Franco

Web service Google Maps doesnt have navigation.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Web service doesn't but it does us my maps which syncs to your phone. Google maps on the pc seems a bit more easy to handle considering bigger screen and mouse. Also on a city to city route I have had to do it this way and it works ok as well.