Google maps freezes up 1 out of four times

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Causing phone to reboot. It's annoying and it started happening after the last update. I would like to be able to report the problem to google but don't know how. Also are there any solutions to this problem or any one else experiencing it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I use Google Maps (primarily Google Navigation) all the time and have never had a reboot from it. Have you tried un-installing/re-installing the app?

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I installed the updates then at that point it wouldn't let me use it at all. I reinstalled the updates then it did. Still same issue. I can uninstall the whole app? Google nav had caused my phone to reboot as well.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I installed the updates then at that point it wouldn't let me use it at all. I reinstalled the updates then it did. Still same issue. I can uninstall the whole app? Google nav had caused my phone to reboot as well.

If it was my phone, I'd uninstall the whole app, then reinstall it. If that didn't fix it, I'd do a factory reset. I used to think that was extreme measure, but after 1 or my 3 X's did random reboots (right out of the box), I spent 3 days trying to figure out what was causing it. Never figured it out. Finally decided to do the factory reset...it took about 30 minutes total and I've never had a problem since.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Causing phone to reboot. It's annoying and it started happening after the last update. I would like to be able to report the problem to google but don't know how. Also are there any solutions to this problem or any one else experiencing it?

I use Google Maps (primarily Google Navigation) all the time and have never had a reboot from it. Have you tried un-installing/re-installing the app?

I've had it happen to me now several times as well. I use google maps a lot for work. My phone is also freezing up regularly when I use google maps. I even did a factory data reset hoping that might fix the problem.

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I posted a thing about this awhile ago, I had the same issues, replaced it 3 times with new X's from big red and nothing changed. Removed and reinstalled the app, factory reset and nothing seems to fix it. Been holding out for a update but don't seem to come quick enough. It was when I got the most recent update this began.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I posted a thing about this awhile ago, I had the same issues, replaced it 3 times with new X's from big red and nothing changed. Removed and reinstalled the app, factory reset and nothing seems to fix it. Been holding out for a update but don't seem to come quick enough. It was when I got the most recent update this began.

If you're seeing this on 3 different phones (along with the OP and no doubt, a few others), but the mass populous does not have the problem, one logical conclusion is that some app that some of you have installed on your phone creates a conflict with Google Maps. I would say that it's most likely to be an app that also uses gps, and since everyone doesn't have this issue, it's probably an app that is not so popular.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
mine does the same thing on occasion, i'm glad to know i'm not the only one. i'll start google maps, then it just freezes, and eventually the phone reboots.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
What other map apps do you have on your device, maybe something is not playing nicely with it.

It also be related to an app that is not actually a "map" type app, but one that uses gps, for location purposes, like shopping, or looking up places nearby (like Poynt).

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
True. Have you tried a task killer but do not auto kill but use it to kill off 3rd party apps that might be causing it to not work right.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Titanium Backup? More than once this week, I've had to resort to restoring older versions of apps due to market updates that totally screwed up other things on my DroidX. I would go back to a previous version of Maps (if possible) first before resorting to factory reset.

*Edit: Just saw the last post by greydarrah. Yep, that just might fix it!

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I installed the map app update last night, but no help. In fact, it seems worse than ever. I've had 2 FCs and one DX reboot in the last three opens.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Same thing here. After the last 2 updates Maps freezes the phone after 4th or 5th time I launch it and then reboots the phone. It always happens at the most inopportune times too.:-\

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't see any complaints of this problem in the Android Apps section, or the Droid. I wonder if it is affecting just the Droid X, or perhaps just Froyo?

Actually, I've experienced the reboots with maps since Froyo, but only occasionally until recently.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just started having random reboots. But not sure if my issues are caused by the Maps update or by another app I installed that messed up my media (and I subsequently restored back to an older version). Maybe I should try restoring my Maps back to 4.50. ? I hadn't had any problems with that version. Don't know what I'd do without Titanium!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This is not a problem with Google Maps. There are currently (give or take a 2% margin of error) 18 ba-zillion people using Google Maps, and about 10 or 20 of you are having reboot and lock up issues. It's not Google and it's not your phone...it's a conflict that Google Maps is having with some other gps app on your phone. Keep in mind that "gps app" doesn't have to mean an app that gives you directions. It could be an app that uses gps for location (like a shopping/prices app) or to look up the nearest movie theater, etc...

To fix this, you can either start uninstalling selected apps and see if you stumble across the right one, or you can do a factory reset and elect to NOT restore your data. Instructions for this can be found in a thread that has the word "bingo" in the title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech