Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Google maps freezes up 1 out of four times

Causing phone to reboot. It's annoying and it started happening after the last update. I would like to be able to report the problem to google but don't know how. Also are there any solutions to this problem or any one else experiencing it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Love Droid

I use Google Maps (primarily Google Navigation) all the time and have never had a reboot from it. Have you tried un-installing/re-installing the app?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I installed the updates then at that point it wouldn't let me use it at all. I reinstalled the updates then it did. Still same issue. I can uninstall the whole app? Google nav had caused my phone to reboot as well.

Love Droid

Quote Originally Posted by HeraldO View Post
    I installed the updates then at that point it wouldn't let me use it at all. I reinstalled the updates then it did. Still same issue. I can uninstall the whole app? Google nav had caused my phone to reboot as well.

If it was my phone, I'd uninstall the whole app, then reinstall it. If that didn't fix it, I'd do a factory reset. I used to think that was extreme measure, but after 1 or my 3 X's did random reboots (right out of the box), I spent 3 days trying to figure out what was causing it. Never figured it out. Finally decided to do the factory reset...it took about 30 minutes total and I've never had a problem since.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by HeraldO View Post
    Causing phone to reboot. It's annoying and it started happening after the last update. I would like to be able to report the problem to google but don't know how. Also are there any solutions to this problem or any one else experiencing it?

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I use Google Maps (primarily Google Navigation) all the time and have never had a reboot from it. Have you tried un-installing/re-installing the app?
    I've had it happen to me now several times as well. I use google maps a lot for work. My phone is also freezing up regularly when I use google maps. I even did a factory data reset hoping that might fix the problem.

I posted a thing about this awhile ago, I had the same issues, replaced it 3 times with new X's from big red and nothing changed. Removed and reinstalled the app, factory reset and nothing seems to fix it. Been holding out for a update but don't seem to come quick enough. It was when I got the most recent update this began.

Quote Originally Posted by medic673 View Post
    I posted a thing about this awhile ago, I had the same issues, replaced it 3 times with new X's from big red and nothing changed. Removed and reinstalled the app, factory reset and nothing seems to fix it. Been holding out for a update but don't seem to come quick enough. It was when I got the most recent update this began.
    If you're seeing this on 3 different phones (along with the OP and no doubt, a few others), but the mass populous does not have the problem, one logical conclusion is that some app that some of you have installed on your phone creates a conflict with Google Maps. I would say that it's most likely to be an app that also uses gps, and since everyone doesn't have this issue, it's probably an app that is not so popular.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

mine does the same thing on occasion, i'm glad to know i'm not the only one. i'll start google maps, then it just freezes, and eventually the phone reboots.

What other map apps do you have on your device, maybe something is not playing nicely with it.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi

Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    What other map apps do you have on your device, maybe something is not playing nicely with it.
    It also be related to an app that is not actually a "map" type app, but one that uses gps, for location purposes, like shopping, or looking up places nearby (like Poynt).
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

True. Have you tried a task killer but do not auto kill but use it to kill off 3rd party apps that might be causing it to not work right.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi

Just saw on the front page here that Google Maps has a new update released today. Might as well try that out.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

Do you have Titanium Backup? More than once this week, I've had to resort to restoring older versions of apps due to market updates that totally screwed up other things on my DroidX. I would go back to a previous version of Maps (if possible) first before resorting to factory reset.

*Edit: Just saw the last post by greydarrah. Yep, that just might fix it!

~ Droid RAZR MAXX, Stock rooted ICS
    ~ Xoom Wi-fi: Stock rooted JB

I installed the map app update last night, but no help. In fact, it seems worse than ever. I've had 2 FCs and one DX reboot in the last three opens.

Same thing here. After the last 2 updates Maps freezes the phone after 4th or 5th time I launch it and then reboots the phone. It always happens at the most inopportune times too.

I don't see any complaints of this problem in the Android Apps section, or the Droid. I wonder if it is affecting just the Droid X, or perhaps just Froyo?

Actually, I've experienced the reboots with maps since Froyo, but only occasionally until recently.

I was having this problem too since the 5.0 update. Hopefully the 5.1 update addressed this...but haven't been using maps much yet.

Mine has never frozen. I'd be checking for app conflicts.
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

Ok, I just started having random reboots. But not sure if my issues are caused by the Maps update or by another app I installed that messed up my media (and I subsequently restored back to an older version). Maybe I should try restoring my Maps back to 4.50. ? I hadn't had any problems with that version. Don't know what I'd do without Titanium!

~ Droid RAZR MAXX, Stock rooted ICS
    ~ Xoom Wi-fi: Stock rooted JB

This is not a problem with Google Maps. There are currently (give or take a 2% margin of error) 18 ba-zillion people using Google Maps, and about 10 or 20 of you are having reboot and lock up issues. It's not Google and it's not your phone...it's a conflict that Google Maps is having with some other gps app on your phone. Keep in mind that "gps app" doesn't have to mean an app that gives you directions. It could be an app that uses gps for location (like a shopping/prices app) or to look up the nearest movie theater, etc...

To fix this, you can either start uninstalling selected apps and see if you stumble across the right one, or you can do a factory reset and elect to NOT restore your data. Instructions for this can be found in a thread that has the word "bingo" in the title.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Almost every app uses gps though... let the search begin :-/

Beamed up from DROIDX using Tapatalk

I've been coming to the same conclusion that greydarrah expressed, although I haven't yet reached his virtual certaintly that the problem is caused by GPS use conflicts between apps. I do think it's the most likely, though.

I just went through all of the application descriptions on my system, and there are 37 location use apps on it. I'm listing them here just to see if we can find some commonality between users that are suffering from this problem. I suspect that since there are very few of us apparently affected, the app/s involved are probably one or more with small populations, but I'll list them all here.

My plan is to try to track which ones are active prior to opening Maps, with the hope that I can correlate them to try to home in on which apps are suspect, then look to remove, or at least stop them before opening Maps, and to track the results carefully. It's going to be messy. We need to keep in mind that there could be more than one app contributing to the problem with Maps.

My List:
    Beautiful Widgets, Blockbuster
    Catch, CBS News, Compass, Crackle
    Earth, Evernote
    Fandango, Firefox, Fox News
    Googles, Google Search, Google Sky Map, Groupy (no ads)
    IMDb Movies
    Live Scores, Lookout
    Maps, Mobile Banking, My Verizon
    NFS Shift
    Plume, Public Radio LiveStream
    Shopper, Shopper - Shopping List, Smart Tools, Speedtest.net, Streetview
    The Weather Channel, Tracker, TuneIn Radio
    USA Today
    Vignette, Vlingo, Voice Search
    WRAL

I hope a few others sharing the problem will take the time and effort to compare results on their smartphones, and share their findings in this thread. We can really benefit from the effort.

Google maps has not only been freezing which started update before last.. but now my gps is off and not lining up with roads... this doesn't happen all the time though. It's like the gps is not locking right

Beamed up from DROIDX using Tapatalk

Deleted shop savvy, seems to have fixed my problem.
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Uninstalling then re-installing the Maps app (with a battery pull, 60 seconds out, restart in between uninstall and re-install) might take care of the problem. I think the Maps app is one of the best Google has give us and have not had problems with it.

BTW - Be aware that having your Market apps automatic update can brick your phone (often)! It took me a long time to figure out what was happening. Went into MyApps list on Market and individually UN-checked auto-update for all my apps. I still get notices there are updates available, but I can do it when convenient. (PS - Always a good idea to at least turn off/on your X after any install or update)
    Always learning ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast