Lots of stuff doesn't work.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
After six months with the Droid X, I'm becoming disenchanted. It's starting to behave more and more like Windows -- meaning, the longer you use it, the more flakey it gets.

Lots of stuff doesn't work. Email syncing with GMail stopped working months ago. I now just use the browser version. Half the time when I try to turn on the WiFi hotspot, it won't come up and I have to reboot the phone.

Lately, I've been using PDANet to tether the phone to get away from the 2 gig limit on the hotspot, and I've found that to get full speed from it, I again have to reboot the phone.

70% of the time, when I try to use the media player, the player hangs and stops playing anywhere from 15 minutes to two hours into it, again, requiring a reboot.

I frequently don't get text message notifications. After a reboot, suddenly I'll get them.

Weatherbug never updates regularly. Many times it doesn't update at all unless I force it. I have the phone set on "Normal" power mode, not High Perf, and not Battery saver, so it SHOULD be updating throughout the day.

I've never rooted the phone, this is the original OS install from when I got it at launch, I don't have any special launchers on it, etc. All I really do is use it for checking email, internet connectivity, and occasional media playing and also sometimes Pandora (though not when tethering or with the hotspot).

Any ideas on what these problems might be? It just doesn't seem like an OS as advanced as Android, being Linux based and all, should be doing this.

Thanks.

Rob

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If email syncing stopped working months ago, why didn't you take it in then? I have never seen such a laundry list of problems, I would just replace it under warranty, like months ago.

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Problems with 3rd party apps are, well problems with those apps. Don't blame the X or any other android phone for not working will all apps. Anyone can write a buggy app and put it on the market. Many of these apps also interfere with OEM apps. Master reset don't install any apps, see if things work. Slowly add apps back one at a time until you find the culprit.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
RobG, my goodness bro! Why wait and suffer this long with those problems? Sounds like your data isn't syncing right. Check that, then check your battery setting, as if it is set to custom or nighttime, that can cut your data too. Just out of curiosity, why so long?

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
First... I already covered my battery setting.

Second... Verizon "techs" (or any first-level tech support people) aren't exactly bright. The brains are here on this and other Android-like forums. That's why I'm posting about it here.

I don't have time to deal with idiots on the phone or in the stores. Plus when I have free time to call is usually when nobody is around (evenings).

I stopped caring about the email syncing because I liked the web browser method better. I just setup gmail.com as my default page so whenever I load the browser, I get email. I use Dolphin Browser anyway.

The phone's inability to work well with the 'net is hardly PDANet's fault. The thing gets dreadfully slow on the 'net without even using it. It could be on the hotspot, or just trying to use the phone to browse.

A number of times I've noticed that it likes to drop into 1X mode. A reboot gets it back to 3G (with four bars even) and it's much faster. But other times when it gets really slow it still shows 3G.

Rob

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
fair enough, good luck:) It has been my experience if you can show VZW one error, they will open a ticket, and if it the error happens again, you will get a replacement. Sounds like you could. I wouldn't take that for longer than a day. You seem to know what you are doing, try post #3, factory reset time:)

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
With that many issues, I would do a factory reset then if that doesn't work then try a replacement from VZW.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Re-reading the OP comments, I'm thinking there may be app conflicts at work. Not all apps work with all other apps. And, worst of all, some apps are c---, never to be installed.

If it hasn't been done as yet, before getting a replacement, try uninstalling dl apps one at a time and see if the issues begin to disappear. You may have just one bad app aboard, messing up all the other ops. Easier to do this than a FDReset or starting all over with a replacement X.