New Battery charging ?

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning on picking up the extended Verizon battery soon for my X. My question is.... When I put the battery in my X should I immediately plug it in and charge it, or is it better to run it down and then plug it in?

Thanks in advance....

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No memory effect on Li-Ion batteries. But when I got it, I used it until it was low and then once it died all the way, I left it off and charged it for about 6 hours.

Reactions: mrcraft2u

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks RH.... I'm glad the batteries are not like what they used to be. I have heard both sides of the charging story but figured I woould post on here to get some more feedback.

UltraDroid

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks RH.... I'm glad the batteries are not like what they used to be. I have heard both sides of the charging story but figured I woould post on here to get some more feedback.

When I got my first extended battery, I followed the advice of the DroidForums thread and simply popped the new battery into the phone (it was my Dinc) and ran it until the battery was down low - your choice as to how low to go. Then I charged the battery in the phone, and WOW - the one for the Incredible made a phenomenal difference in battery life. Now, I just routinely charge it, in the phone, in the normal fashion and really love the freedom it gives. :cool:

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Theoretically, these new batteries do not need to be drained to get and hold a good charge. Also, a new battery actually improves it capabilities as it's used during the first couple of weeks. And, you can't "overcharge" the batteries either. Very low maintenance.

As always, keeping the screen brightness low, locking the screen after a couple minutes of non-use, turning off the GPS unless needed, and other such power-conserving actions really DO make a difference. Also, remember, the screen is THE major drain on power.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Even with the screen brightness all the way down, the screen is still bright enough. In sunlight, it's hard to see but indoors, no issues at all with the DX.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys.... Thanks again for the info. I have read up on how to make the battery last longer and can easily get about a day and a half in on one charge. I just couldn't really find too much on the initial "first" charge of a new battery.

So thanks again for the great info and am glad I was able to find this site to get my Android knowledge expanded....

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
One thing to do is get Titanium Backup Pro version and then use it to freeze your apps you do not need. It doesn't help with battery much, I think but overall, it freezes apps that are not needed and makes the phone run much smoother. But you do need to be rooted to do that.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Even with the screen brightness all the way down, the screen is still bright enough. In sunlight, it's hard to see but indoors, no issues at all with the DX.

I agree here. I keep my screen brightness setting at the absolute minimum (14, I think it is) for most of the time and it has GREATLY increased the battery life. And, it's only in sunlight that I have problems seeing the screen. I've had the setting on Automatic, but I find even that will increase battery consumption. The lowest setting makes a significant improvement.

I have Extended Controls app (excellent app and always being improved!!) and created a home screen widget to change the brightness setting. So, when in the sun, I can touch that widget and bring up the brightness in increments or set it to "Automatic". I have the widget placed in the lower right corner of the main home screen so I can quickly change the brightness without being able to see the screen (in daylight). Works exceptionally well.

BTW, the Extended Controls app also allows you to create customized widgets to control just about any aspect of your X. You can mix, match, and determine size, color, transparency, etc. Couldn't operate efficiently without this!

dxforme

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I got the 3500 extended battery, but the battery meter says its empty sooner that the one that came with my DX. Is there a way to get the battery meter to sync with the larger battery? Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance