On my 4th Droid X....

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
On launch day, I moved from the iPhone 3G to the Droid X. I had been sold on the Android platform, and this was the biggest baddest phone that was coming out running it. Well, since them, I've gone through 3 phones, and I am now on my 4th. While I like Android, I question the build quality of these Motorola phone:

Phone 1: Touch screen issues. The screen quit responding to touch. This was apparently an issue with a batch of launch phones, so ok, early production issues.

Phone 2: Got the replacement, and immediately the camera was broken, it did not work.

Phone 3: The camera flash quit working. It does come up for the camera, the video camera or flashlight apps.

Phone 4: Still waiting for this to arrive. The overnight shipping got held up due to the storm last week, so I should have this soon.

This is the first time I've purchased a Motorola phone, and I can honestly say I don't think I'll purchase another.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Its not the phone, it just seems that they're going through a batch of bad phones and sending them to you. I've seen this happen a lot in forums with people returning phones on Verizon. Its one of the reasons I cancelled my insurance with Verizon. I would rather go out and buy a new phone. All they do is send you a refurb phone that someone else had problems with. If you get lucky you'll get one that works but the DX is an awesome phone otherwise.
If they keep sending you bad phones... keep returning them and tell them you're getting tired of this and would like to switch to a device that works. Switch to the Thunderbolt, its coming out in a few weeks. My wife had a problem like this with Sprint. She went through 5 bad phones and demanded to switch devices. Sprint charged her a small fee and upgraded her to a newer device.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that sucks is that VZW did away with that policy and all they will do is send refurbs out until your able to upgrade.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Some phones are just not meant for some people...the way you carry it, the apps you install on it, using it to knock on someones door, or hammer down those pesky nail heads that magically pop up from a set of stairs, etc...

Though it's unfortunate that you've had issues, I think the mass X population would tell you that the moto build is solid. Maybe try running this next phone completely stock for a few days, don't even download any apps and see how it performs. If you have issues with this one, I'd get Verizon to exchange it for something else.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It's too bad a replacement has to be a refurb. I would imagine all they do is a Factory Data Reset and ship it out again. Because of this, I will work, work, work to resolve issues on my original X before I return it for anything already messed up by someone else. I agree with greydarrah that often apps cause problems because not all play nice-nice with other apps. Also, some are junk - actually, many are.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It's surprising to me that the OP has had such a difficult time with the Droid X. Personally, I would be hard pressed to find another phone manufacturer that makes phones as solid as Motorola. The X and the Droid 2 were amazingly built in my opinion.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
It's surprising to me that the OP has had such a difficult time with the Droid X. Personally, I would be hard pressed to find another phone manufacturer that makes phones as solid as Motorola. The X and the Droid 2 were amazingly built in my opinion.

+1.... I would have to agree 100% with your comment. I have had many Moto phones over the years and they have all been great phones. The only issue I had with any Moto phone was with my Razor I had a few years ago and it's battery. I had the LG Voyager for the past 3 years (another great phone) and just received the X for Christmas. Luckily for me it's been working beautifully and I have downloaded quite a few apps.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think all Androids are solid, it's the apps that causes problems and people think it's the phone itself.

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't abuse my phone, each has been in a case. Phone 2 was stock, it had no third party apps on it, and the camera was DOA when I got it.
Phone 3, the LED just quit working, even after a factory restore.

If these refurbs are "Certified" as the stickers on them claim, I really would love to know what that process involves.

StorminDT

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't agree it is the way a user uses/holds the phone or apps.

I could take a base Inc after a factory reset. Spend about 15 minutes on a phone call and it would start resetting. Would continue to reset until it cooled off.

Those are broken phones that verizon continues to send out hoping it will 'stick' with someone.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I think MOTO is the best phone manufacturer around right now. I feel terrible for the OP here, but some people just have bad luck. I worked at the apple store for years and saw a select few people go through 3 phones in a month, just kept getting bad ones, which happens like .000001 percent of the time. Bummer, but clearly the refurbs are to blame here.

HTC is good too, but they don't care enough about battery life, IMO. Great device, sense UI is cool, but terrible battery life.

Anyways, the users absolutely affect the longevity of a phone/computer/tv/microwave/whatever. If this wasn't the case, then every computer would last the same amount of time. But no, it's probably not the user in this case.

LastOstrogoth

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem of getting a Blackberry that worked. Two new phones, two refurbs, Finally, laid down the law and got a new Droid X. It is Verizon's policy at fault. They simply recycle returned phones. Neither of the refurbs I had been sent could possibly have been tested. Both had major failures of basic functions, GPS, Bluetooth, Microphone, not something that could be overlooked by someone refurbishing a phone.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
BB build quality has gone down the drain. A dozens Storm 9550 and still the same issue. Luckily, I was due up for my annual upgrade and went to the DX.

LastOstrogoth

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
There is no question that there are some real quality control issues with Blackberry. However, it would be resolved if they had to replace every phone that was returned because it didn't function properly. By Verizon acting as an intermediary and recycling defective phones Blackberry's quality control can continue to be poor without repercussions other than people like us opting for a different manufacturer.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your issues, I can appreciate your apprehension about Motorola. Hopefully the next one will be the one.

Personally I have had many Motorola phones with no problems. My X is fantastic....couldn't be happier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae