watching/renting movies

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I think you can dl a movie to any computer or TV if you access Netflix through it AND have an account that allows "instant" movies. There is an app called "Movies" (has a popcorn box as an icon). Can't remember if the X already had it or if I dl it from market. I think it's free. Anyway, it connects you with Netflix (and other movie sources) and your account(s) there.

Reactions: sushiguy732

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think you can dl a movie to any computer or TV if you access Netflix through it AND have an account that allows "instant" movies. There is an app called "Movies" (has a popcorn box as an icon). Can't remember if the X already had it or if I dl it from market. I think it's free. Anyway, it connects you with Netflix (and other movie sources) and your account(s) there.

This is good information, thanks! I just DLed it and see that I can access a Netflix account. I assume this means I can stream movies right to the device. Right?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The Blockbuster app isn't the greatest....sometimes it works while other times it's useless. Waiting on the Netflix app to come to Android.... hopefully soon. You can do like Arelunde suggested but its only good if you're near a computer....which in that case I'd personally just rather watch the movie on the computer.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The Blockbuster app isn't the greatest....sometimes it works while other times it's useless. Waiting on the Netflix app to come to Android.... hopefully soon. You can do like Arelunde suggested but its only good if you're near a computer....which in that case I'd personally just rather watch the movie on the computer.

I am researching this for a friend of mine so please bear with me.

Why is the Flixster app only good if you are near a computer?

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, Netflix does not support streaming instant watch to the Android. I think that only works on the iphone app for now. :/ I would think that when they do support streaming to Android they would make it a feature of the Netflix app that's in the market. If you find a way to watch Netflix on the DroidX please let me know. I have been waiting for this forever!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking of the Blockbuster app.... you can only download a movie over wifi...there's no streaming. The Netflix for iPhone you can stream over 3G. If you read the reviews on the BB app you will see a lot of complaints about downloads not working half the time. You can watch the movies you download from Blockbuster on your computer or your device.
This article explains it in better detail of Netflix vs Blockbuster:
App Smackdown: Netflix vs. Blockbuster | Fast Company

If you aren't familiar with Blockbusters app...Google the reviews or read the market reviews of it:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.motorola.Blockbuster

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You can try PlayOn. They don't have an official Android app yet, but you can go to http://m.playon.com and stream content from there. PlayOn supports local media files, NetFlix, Hulu, and a bunch of other sources. You do need a Windows system to run it, but considering PlayOn replaced my cable it's saved me a ton of money.

You may need an app like nswPlayer, Stream Media Player, or VPlayer to stream the video. The last one will work with UPnPlay as a better version of a DLNA client than the stock Motorola client.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Chrisy, there is a Netflix app, but the only thing it lets you do is manage your queue. I can't wait til they add streaming to it, then it will be awesome!

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I saw that. Thanks. I had a pretty nice Netflix Queue Manager app on my BlackBerry.

But I cancelled Netflix because I only got them via snailmail and didn't think it was worth the $$$

If I could get movies streamed to my mobile, I'd sigh up again for sure!

monkespit

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
For movies there's the app Movies You Demand by Bigstar in market, also Sony's Crackle, finally the Verizon Fios on demand which is really cool if you have Fios. For TV I recommend jetflicks, has tons of great series from many networks including HBO and Showtime. Also haven't tried tvgorge dot com, but may work well with flash on droidx.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress