1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Smile Ringtones for Specific Contacts

Is there a way on my Droid X to set a specific SMS alert to a specific contact in my phone book? There are a few people I need to (well, want to) have different SMS tones for.

Any help would be great. I've only had this phone for a day and I'm still learning!

Thanks!

Do a market search for Custom SMS Tones. Let me find the link.

Edit:

No link, but the app I use is from roadkill software. It works great, give it a try.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You can definitely assign a ringtone to a specific contact, but I haven't found a (stock) way to do that with a notification.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yeah, I've found the way to do it for ringtones!

Handcent SMS will let you assign custom tones for your contacts.
    a little obsessive...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

So I found GO SMS, but now is there a way to disable the original SMS app?

Don't disable the stock messaging, just open the stock messaging app and use the menu, settings to disable the notifications so you don't get double notifications.
    a little obsessive...

handcent, chomp, sms popup and go sms will all allow for costum sms alert notifications as well as notification icons & led colors.
    Bye bye S1 hello Droid X
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

I use SMS popup and it works GREAT! Can customize color LEDs and notification tones. Can customize ring tones right in your contacts list. Go to Contacts on your X and scroll down the list of things you can add. It's there to choose the ringtone for that particular contact.
    Always learning ...
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Should have been more specific -- Go to Contacts > pick a contact > open > menu > edit > scroll to additional info > scroll to "ringtone." Then save.
    Always learning ...