Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Suddenly Launcher Pro Plus force closes a lot...

Is anyone else with LPP on their Droid X experiencing repeated force closes lately? It was working perfectly fine for me for months until the last week or so. I went from zero force closes a day to 15 to 20. I've deleted and re-installed LPP, wiped my cache, tried rebooting, tried doing battery pulls, etc. I haven't installed any new apps in quite a while and I know there are no bad files on my SD card. I'm not sure what the cause could be. I'm non-rooted. Any ideas?

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

Yes - same here. Switched to ADW EX - MUCH MUCH better. I'm done with LPP until Fede rewrites it (hopefully soon).
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

One thing you might check ... the automatic updates from Market can brick your X or kill an app you are using. Try un-checking the auto-update feature (must be done on each app) and see if this helps. You will still get notifications updates are available, but you can do them at your own convenience. Multiple updates will dl at the same time, so it doesn't take long.
    Always learning ...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    One thing you might check ... the automatic updates from Market can brick your X or kill an app you are using. Try un-checking the auto-update feature (must be done on each app) and see if this helps. You will still get notifications updates are available, but you can do them at your own convenience. Multiple updates will dl at the same time, so it doesn't take long.
    I didn't have any apps checked to update automatically so it must be something else. In reading through the forums on LPP's website, it sounds as though this is a fairly widespread issue. Hopefully the re-write will behave better!

LPP runs fine on my X, but some are having issues. I suspect it's having a conflict with an unknown app. Give ADW a try.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

FC about 7-11 times a day for me!! Using go launcher with no problems so far!!!

I had the same problem with lpp so I went to adw all was well with adw for a month or so then the same thing force closes now I am on go launcher and all is well for now.

I get about 2 a day, no where near that much. GoLauncher is a great free alternative. ADW is another good one.
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    Synergy

I had this issue about a month ago and switched to ADW until I bricked my phone. After an sbf I haven't had too many issues with LPP, maybe two FC's this past week.

ROM
    Stock

LPP was driving my phone crazy. Force closes, reboots etc. As the others have stated, went with ADW and things have been fine for several months now.
    Samsung Galaxy S3

LPP was causing random reboots several times a day after the new Verizon update. I switched to ADW+ and it was fine for a few weeks but the reboots just started up again. Happens at the worst times...I may have to go back to stock

i picked up ADW a few days ago to give it a whirl. i quickly found that the lack of a scrolling dock was a deal breaker for me (i know there's supposed to be some sort of auxillary dock feature in ADW, but i couldn't figure out how to get it to work; definitely a user/operator error). i like to use one or two screens with just a few widgets.

i'm back on LPP. i've not noticed any unusual FCs, but the interface has gotten laggy in the last day or so. i just installed Power Control Plus for the in-notification bar control panel - i'm guessing that this might be the culprit?

anyway - didn't mean to hijack. sorry to hear that you're having problems with LPP. i can't wait for Fede to release the rewrite.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanOfBees View Post
    i picked up ADW a few days ago to give it a whirl. i quickly found that the lack of a scrolling dock was a deal breaker for me (i know there's supposed to be some sort of auxillary dock feature in ADW, but i couldn't figure out how to get it to work; definitely a user/operator error). i like to use one or two screens with just a few widgets.

i'm back on LPP. i've not noticed any unusual FCs, but the interface has gotten laggy in the last day or so. i just installed Power Control Plus for the in-notification bar control panel - i'm guessing that this might be the culprit?

anyway - didn't mean to hijack. sorry to hear that you're having problems with LPP. i can't wait for Fede to release the rewrite.
    Give ADW another whirl - seriously.

Once you figure out the hideable dockbar it's great. What I did was assign the "swipe up" gesture to open/close the bar - that way I can swipe anywhere on the screen to open and close it. I also missed the scrolling dock bar of LPP until I figured out how easy it was to use a swipe for opening/closing the hidden dock. Prior to that I was constantly dragging icons off the main dock trying to open/close the hidden dock - it was annoying. Also - once you have everything how you like it - just hit menu / more / lock desktop - to prevent dragging anything.
    Thanked by:

thanks BillK - i hadn't paid close enough attention to those swipe up/down settings before. i'm giving ADW another ride around the block... it has lower memory usage for me, so that's one definite plus.

cheers!

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I have installed both LPP and ADW EX and both were causing FCs. I did a factory reset and now I only seem to get FCs from ADW. Maybe I should have just cleared the cache.

Anyone here an update to the release of the LPP revamp? It was slated for late Jan but still nothing. I am getting reboots at random and freezes. Really looking forward to the release.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Thanks for everyone's feedback. My FC's have decreased in the last day or so but they're still occurring randomly. Maybe that's a good sign. According to LP's website, the re-write is still not quite ready and there's no release date yet. I'll stick with LPP for now. When it works, it works smoothly and very well and beats the hell out of the stock launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
    LPP was driving my phone crazy. Force closes, reboots etc. As the others have stated, went with ADW and things have been fine for several months now.
    Mine just started doing this as well. All was fine for a month, then bang - FCs and reboots all the time. I hope Fede gets this rewritten. I liked ADW a lot actually, but at the end of the day I'm all about the custom dock icons.

Ihavent noticed any force closes lately but it does seem like others are having this problem. I hope it doesn't start for me. Does it matter if you are rooted or not?

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

I wasn't having any issues until I tried to do a themed LPP from someone else. At that point my phone wigged out alot with reboots, force closes, etc. I got rid of the the themed LPP and went back to the one from the market yesterday. Haven't had a single issue since then.
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

After thinking about this, I remember that I had a lot of problems with LPP after the Froyo update. I uninstalled LPP and re-installed it, followed by a battery pull. That took care of the problem. Maybe this might help (?)
    Always learning ...