Phone turns off randomly and can't turn it back on

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I'm sweating bullets over here. So starting yesterday, my phone would randomly turn off and I wouldn't be able to turn it back on. I tried holding the power button, power/home, power/menu, power/volume down, etc. Nothing worked. Then, randomly, after about 5 minutes, the phone turned on without me touching anything. It was just sitting on my desk next to me and powered on.

After this happened a few times, I decided to wipe data/cache and reinstall Apex 1.4.0. (I originally installed 1.4.0 over 1.3 without wiping).

I just finished installing and when I selected reboot, the phone didn't turn back on. I tried turning it on using all of the above methods, but nothing worked. I plugged it into the USB cable connected to my computer to charge it (even though when I booted into recovery it was already at 80%). After about 5 mins., the phone randomly turned on.

After finally getting the phone on and working, I kept getting an error when trying to restore my ADW settings (the error said SD card not mounted). When I went to settings > SD card, it wouldn't let me mount the card (the option was greyed out). It appeared as though the card wasn't in the device because available space said, "unknown".

So I powered off my phone, removed the battery, removed the SD card, put the SD card back in, put in the battery, and tried to power the phone back on. The phone won't turn on again!!

I've tried searching and couldn't find anyone with similar symptoms. Someone please help get my phone back to working order!

Edit: the phone turned back on by itself again a few seconds ago. I went straight to settings > SD card and it recognizes the card now. I'd still like to know if there's a reason the phone won't power on when I try and why it randomly turns off.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Check out the note below my sig in this post. Could be your problem. Don't know why the auto-updates are enabled by default. Pain to UN-enable that, but oh-so-necessary!

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. One thing I remember before the phone shut off for good, is that when I restored my backup through clockwork, all of my old apps starting updating and downloading as soon as I opened the market. After about 5 mins, the phone completely shut down and I haven't been able to turn it back on since.

I took it to Verizon this past Friday, and the tech associate also tried hard re-setting and even using different batteries to try and get it back on, but with no luck. Thank god, because if she got it on, she would have seen the custom boot logo left by Liberty and eventually would have seen "Droid X Bootstrap was allowed Superuser permission."

Good news though...she put in an order to have a new DX shipped to me. I'm back on my Storm1 right now until that arrives tomorrow. I can't believe how slow and clumsy the Storm is compared to the DX. I'm so spoiled on Android now.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Im using Apex 1.4.1 and I havent noticed any issues, this may sound strange but by chance when you notice the issues are you plugged into the PC, I noticed this a number of times and I learned it was errors on SD Card and caused issues when plugged to PC, after I copied all data of card and wipe and error check and then place needed files back on.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Dx too. random powerdowns. Its getting really annoying. Everytime I need the phone whether its for a phone call or text message. The damn thing is off. It takes a few mins to remove the cover I have on it and remove the battery. Its beginning to be unreliable. There's no way I'll run it stock either. Its waaaaay to slow for me

DXmeatclaws via talkatap

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well this seems not to be a ROM issue because your running Liberty 1.5 and ultravisitor reported using Apex 1.3.1

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm aware of that. We appear to be having the same problem.

DXmeatclaws via talkatap

This was directed to the post that this was isolated to Apex rom, have you tried the clearing sd card suggestion because I have learned that users go through multiple roms and I feel that this issue is tied to all the files left on SD Card from the other roms installed. These files has caused errors on my device in past and after foing this issue was resolved for me. Now I make sure to clear all files copied to SD Card from other roms to avoid this issue.

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This was directed to the post that this was isolated to Apex rom, have you tried the clearing sd card suggestion because I have learned that users go through multiple roms and I feel that this issue is tied to all the files left on SD Card from the other roms installed. These files has caused errors on my device in past and after foing this issue was resolved for me. Now I make sure to clear all files copied to SD Card from other roms to avoid this issue.

Wildman, I tried powering on the phone without the SD card in the device and it still wouldn't work. I haven't tried clearing the SD card yet though. I'm at work and the phone is at home (using my old Storm 1 as a back up right now). I'll try clearing the SD card when I get home.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I wish that I knew this about 2 weeks ago. I think that the leftover data from two other ROMs on top of Liberty 1.5 fried my SD card. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to mount. I tried a new card reader on both a Mac and a Windows laptop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv