Any experience buying phones from Costco B&M?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I finally broke down and joined Costco for $50 knowing that I could get a refund for the membership if I was dissatisfied.

I joined for the sole purpose of getting the Droid X for $29.99 for an add-a-line.

It's even cheaper at $9.99 if you are opening a new account.

I also wanted to inspect my phone and avoided using the website to try and score one that still had the 16 GB SD Card vs. the current 2 GB version......SUCCESS!!!!

Costco actually sells cell pohones through Wireless Advocates which is a 3rd party authorized reseller.

Now they assured me that there would be no activation fee (normally $25) and that if there was it would be credited.

Now, If I had purchased from Costco.com, I know that I would need to send in a mail in rebate to receive a $25 check.

http://membershipwireless.com/index...doc=rebateCenter/pdf/VZ_Activation_Rebate.pdf

However, they assured me that I would not be charged for the activation fee because I bought in the store.

Now, I have names and the # of the Costco I purchased from and I will call in a couple billing cycles if the credit is not issued.

Hopefully, I really won't see any $25 fee at all.

However, does anyone have any experience dealing with Costco?

On the plus side, I was able to get a new DX2 with 16 GB SD card and a case, car charger, and ear bud for $43 after tax with a new 2 yr agreement.

Hopefully, I may even find reasons to use Costco in the future and will not have to get a refund on my membership provided everything else related to this transaction goes as planned.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
You will be charged the activation fee but not by Costco. It will appear on your first bill. But yes you will get the rebate. Problem is you will not see said rebate for around 12 weeks.
Costco overall is a very good company to deal with because they are customer service minded. They have one of the best return policies around. And when I lived in CA they were the only place that did not charge tax on the full cost of the phone, even though CA tax codes says otherwise.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I have purchased 2 phones from COSTCO...the most recent is a DroidX. I have been a member of COSTCO for a number of years so I am a COSTCO fanboy. Returns policy is the absolute best...REALLY no questions asked. The price of the DroidX dropped $50 6 weeks after I bought it; took my receipt in to COSTCO and they gave me $50 immediately.
Also, when you buy a phone through COSTCO, the manufacturers' warranty is usually doubled. So, in the case of the DroidX, the warranty against defects is 2 years instead of 1 year.

Usually, you will get some accessories for free when you buy a phone from COSTCO. With the DroidX I received an earbud (not too bad) a car charger, (seems to work ok) and a pouch (totally worthless IMO) I was not charged an activation fee...and it did not show up on my Verizon bill later.

If a rebate on the price of the phone is involved, sometimes the rebate is applied immediately against the price of the phone and sometimes you have to send it in. Great thing about COSTCO, you can "send" your rebate form in online and in a few weeks you will receive a check. Obviously, the advantage to submitting rebate info online: you have proof that it was actually received.

One other thing: about 2 weeks after I had purchased my DroidX, the camera button came off. Took phone back to COSTCO for exchange...quite a painless procedure. Got a new phone and was on my way in 10 minutes.

Of course, now COSTCO is almost giving the DroidX away, but I have enjoyed it immensely and don't regret being an early adopter.

Last edited:

wsn1

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you got a great deal!

Only 2 year contracts there, right? Do they have any other droids (DP, D2G)? I'm thinking of getting a droid and trying to keep my options open.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The OP said in his first post (at the bottom) that he bought the DX2 in February. I'm assuming it was, in fact, the DX (1). Otherwise, Costco is THE place to go, especially if they are offering yet-to-be-released phones at a discount!

Seriously, I've dealt with Costco for years and they are a terrific operation. Always quality, always service, always great prices..

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463