So I'm buying a rooted X...

tacticalfats

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm finally making the jump from Blackberry, satisfied that an Android phone can do what I need it to do (battery can last the day, push exchange email, calendar).

I'm picking up a used, rooted X in a few hours that is running a stock rom.

Anything I should be aware of? Questions I should ask before the deal is done?

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
You should have him SBF it to 2.3.340 stock and you can z4 root it yourself, that way if it's "rooted stock" and you end up having to sbf it if it bricks your'e not responsible and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you have a 100% stock phone off the bat.

That's how I would go about it anyway. If it's rooted you dont know what the prev. owner has been doing with it.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset will be good enough.

Ask to make sure it's a clean ESN. I would suggest meeting up at a VZW store and see if it works by putting that phone onto your account.

Other then that, you can ask if it has the latest OS 2.3.340 but if it doesn't we can help you upgrade.

Reactions: tacticalfats

tacticalfats

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

Ask to make sure it's a clean ESN. I would suggest meeting up at a VZW store and see if it works by putting that phone onto your account.

Other then that, you can ask if it has the latest OS 2.3.340 but if it doesn't we can help you upgrade.

Yeah; I'm fairly proficient in my wiping/upgrading/resetting BBOS stuff, but even with reading all of these forums I'm still a complete noob. Will a factory reset "unroot" it?

And I'm actually meeting them IN the VZW store in the local mall...lol.

tacticalfats

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

I plan to ask him if he removed any bloatware...apparently that's an issue for system updates. I'll check the current software version, as well.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset will not unroot the phone. Even if he removed bloatware, you can get the full sbf and then sbf the phone to bring it back to factory settings.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Taking a rooted phone to a VZW store doesn't sound like a good idea to me in the first place. Factory reset doesn't clear root, and do what the post above me says, have the phone sbf and then take it to a store to check the ESN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37