Help! Gallery Force Closing

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
so today I installed a bar code creator. I created a bar code and then went to the gallery to view it. The gallery launched and forced closed right away. Very strange. I uninstalled the bar code creator. Rebooted and tried again. Same thing. I also have Picsay installed (never used though). I launched that, and when I get pictures form the Gallery, it force closes again and goes back to Picsay. I don't THINK it was from the barcode creator... I think this is just when I first noticed it. I have a bunch of apps installed from the market... but most are games or thinks like google earth, etc (from reputable companies). I hook my phone up to PC... and I can see the pictures. As well, if I go to video and click on the preview pictures that come up... I can then view pictures as well. I can also use the camera, take pics, and they save. I just can't launch the gallery.

Anyone have any thoughts? I just can't figure out why it is force closing. I am NOT rooted. Only had the DX for a month and a half.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Settings > Applications > Manager Applications then find gallery then click it. Clear user data and cache.

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Clear cache was grayed out. But I cleared the data. Still doesn't work.

I ended up installing a gallery program from the market. That one works fine. So... if I can't run the native gallery, I at least have that. BUT.. gonna bug the heck out of me why it isn't working.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Gallery Forced Closing Fix

Here is what worked for me...no reformat required:

Go to:
Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> All tab
For each of the following, I clicked on Clear data and Clear cache: (Just clearing Gallery did not do it for me)
Gallery
Media Container Service
Media Storage
Then I restarted phone by holding down power button, clicking Power Off, then held it again to turn on and working great! It did take a few minutes for the Gallery to get all the thumbnails again the first time I started it, but it works!
I was afraid I deleted all files on SD but they are all still there. Just be patient, it will take several minutes for Gallery to repopulate.

Reactions: fyrman49

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Something else good to do is clear the cache.

Power down, then hold the HOME key and power on while holding the home key. You will see a ! with a triangle and Android figure, hit the search key then use the volume key and select clear cache and select it with the camera. Good to do here and there.
If your rooted then cache cleaner will do the same thing.

Reactions: fyrman49

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
A simple search of this forum would have provided Sailmaker's fix in multiple other threads.

Of course you're right...but I didn't mind posting again. A successful search is only as good as the key words used in the search. Having said that, it's amazing that many folks don't even think about doing a search first...as in the light bulb didn't come on...but we are, after all, mere humans.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Another thing that's come up in the past is a corrupted photo file. If this happens again, if you can't access the gallery you know what to do. If you just get some weirdness, see if there's a pix that won't show up right or there's something wrong with the way it displays. Delete it.

PS - The forums these days for the X are fairly quiet compared to the months after the X was released last year. Answering a question for a fellow X-er gives us opportunities to communicate and help each other. Yes, a search is recommended, but if you don't know the problem, a search isn't always the adequate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar