Droid X GPS Chipset for Real Time Differential Processing

GPSmaster

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello all!

I am working on an app that needs a very accurate position fix (+- 30cm) about once a minuet. So far I have successfully used two droid Xs (one as a base station) to do this but I would rather have a more permanent solution using a pc and external GPS antenna to supply the correction. Now to my question. What GPS chipset does the Droid X use? Is it the same/similar chipset used in all Droid phones? And is it possible to buy this chip by itself? I couldn't seem to find any information about the specific GPS chip online so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
-Dom

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping for a simple answer that it was embedded in the CPU, but apparently it's an I2C interface to the GPS receiver:
OMAP3630

You can try checking to see if the recommended NaviLink is used, but a quick look through the teardowns wasn't very promising. I wonder if the teardown sites would be a better source of information.

Reactions: GPSmaster

GPSmaster

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much! I had this post up on a different forum for 24 hours before coming here and they still haven't touched it. I'll look into what NaviLink chip is used but I'm half way there already.

@ broadwayblues: The sources of error for military receivers are almost identical for civilians now a days (Ionosphere, imperfect sat. orbits, multi-path, etc). The military just have creative ways of canceling those errors using base stations and upper atmospheric modeling. There's nothing stopping you from making your own base station or looking at public datasets for real-time upper-atmospheric weather (Vertical Total Electron Content) and people have already started doing this for commercial farming and surveying. If your curious to know more you should wiki Differential GPS.

Someone who knows more about GPS may say "what about the P1 military code?" I have played with some RINEX files that include P1 pseudoranges and the accuracy is similar to the C1 civilian code in my experience.

Last edited:

lrsorey

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi GPMaster,

Was just reading your post about using two X-Droids, (One as a base station) for real time correction.

Are you able to share how you did this?

I see you are creating an application that requires + - 30 cm accuracy.

I assume your are creating your app to be used with a mapping application?

Would like to visit with you on this. Tried sending a private message but I see I don't have enough
posts to do this.

Thanks.

Look forward to your response.

mpeaton

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello all!

I am working on an app that needs a very accurate position fix (+- 30cm) about once a minuet. So far I have successfully used two droid Xs (one as a base station) to do this but I would rather have a more permanent solution using a pc and external GPS antenna to supply the correction. Now to my question. What GPS chipset does the Droid X use? Is it the same/similar chipset used in all Droid phones? And is it possible to buy this chip by itself? I couldn't seem to find any information about the specific GPS chip online so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
-Dom
How's your project going? I'm working on something similar for the EVO 4G. Just getting started though...

Newton_Jose

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello all!

-Dom

Hi Dom, this interest me a lot.
Do you know a application named "lefebure ntrip"? (Look for it in Play store)
This app can download, in real time, RTCM data from a NTRIP CASTER to make corrections in a GPS receiver, connected via bluetooth, to a Android phone/tablet.

The problem is it can't corrects the own GPS data of the Android phone/tablet. Do you know how to fix it?

postmart

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dom, this interest me a lot.
Do you know a application named "lefebure ntrip"? (Look for it in Play store)
This app can download, in real time, RTCM data from a NTRIP CASTER to make corrections in a GPS receiver, connected via bluetooth, to a Android phone/tablet.

The problem is it can't corrects the own GPS data of the Android phone/tablet. Do you know how to fix it?

I am also looking for a solution to correct GPS data from the android phone, not from external GPS receiver. Does anyone have any information whether it is possible?

I am working on an app that needs a very accurate position fix (+- 30cm) about once a minuet. So far I have successfully used two droid Xs (one as a base station) to do this but

GPSmaster, could you explain how this could be done? Do you mean that one android phone is responsible for making GPS corrections for another android phone?

Thanks a lot!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87