need a little help

AtanRaca

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
So I saw the post about GB on the front page and I need a little help understanding what exactly is going on. Is this a root for one? I have had my X now for about 6 months and have been struggling with this whole rooting business. Not sure if I want to take the risk with rooting my phone or not cause to be honest I am happy with stock and adw ex. Second question is, will I be able to restore my X to factory (2.2) later if need be?

So the biggest question is this. Is it worth going to GB no, or should I wait for the OTA? Thanks for the help in advance.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you should wait for the OTA, which is expected in the coming weeks. You would need to root to install the leaked GB and then would lose root by installing it. If you haven't rooted yet, don't root just for the leak.

Icon

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you should wait for the OTA, which is expected in the coming weeks. You would need to root to install the leaked GB and then would lose root by installing it. If you haven't rooted yet, don't root just for the leak.

agreed

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So I saw the post about GB on the front page and I need a little help understanding what exactly is going on. Is this a root for one? I have had my X now for about 6 months and have been struggling with this whole rooting business. Not sure if I want to take the risk with rooting my phone or not cause to be honest I am happy with stock and adw ex. Second question is, will I be able to restore my X to factory (2.2) later if need be?

So the biggest question is this. Is it worth going to GB no, or should I wait for the OTA? Thanks for the help in advance.

Ive done some deep diving on this Gingerbread droid X and Droid 2 leak... Needless to say im not touching it with a 10000000 ft pole! Here is why:

True, Im rooted simple by the z4root app (one click root). Im also running a customer ROM called Darkslide v4.2... which im in love with! So... some poeple per 5 android forums are thinking, "hey ill just get the gingerbread zip, make a backup of my current rom, wipe phone, flash over like i do with any custom rom, and when im done testing this gingerbread rom, ill simply go back." Then you got people like me that say WAIT! Its not that simple.

Sad to say, Gingerbread hasnt been rooted yet (leak or OTA version when it comes)... so when you get gingerbread on the DX, you need to do a little more than "going back like normal" if you like flashing custom roms... since its not rooted, you cant use Koush's Droid X bootstrap and go into recovery (for starters). Ive re home/power button upon bootup get to recovery this way. So far gurus and experienced people are saying it works with an added expression (biting my nails till they bled or sweating bricks). So, like I said, ill wait. If this leak makes gurus nervous flashing back to a previous rom, then... umm... NO.. not for me! LOL

Im my opinion... until Koush or CWM or someone hacks Gingerbread and gets it 1) rooted and 2) bootable to recovery (like stock Froyo 2.2 is), then ill be confortable flashing roms on Gingerbread....

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
At this point I'm good waiting for the OTA. At least then I will have a clean build and can get to know GB before diving into the ROMs that will be made for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital