Verizon - GPS Unlocked?

Burner50

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to switch from a Blackberry 9650 "Bold" to a DroidX, but nobody can seem to answer this question.

Is the GPS locked on the Droid X?

Meaning, can any program that requests GPS location access the GPS information or just certain programs?

I havent been able to find anything specific to the droidX

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It is unlocked, I have used TomTom, IGO, Google Nav and Verizon GPS without any issues. Of course Google Nav won the comparision. ;):D

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
There are 3 ways to identify your location: Using the wireless networks, using GPS satellites or Assisted GPS. You can choose any or all three. Once activated, the GPS feature is available to any app needing your location.

However, having GPS on all the time seriously impacts your battery life. The best way is to have a GPS widget on the home screen so you can activate the GPS whenever needed and turn it off when not.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
It is ok to leave GPS 'on' this just means that it is available to applications that need it but the radio is not necessarily energized. The GPS receiver is only energized when an app requests location info and the location icon appears in the status bar.
For most practical use it will not have any noticable impact on the battery.
The widget merely switches between 'on demand' and 'not accessible' there is no 'on' setting per say. But if an app is continuously requesting location info such as maps it will place a burden on the battery which in this case are drops in the bucket compared to running the display at full brightness while navigating. Use a car adapter/dock or turn the screen off and use the voice prompts.
It is mostly preference like so much on these phones. I never turn mine off, but if there are background apps misbehaving I'd make use of it.
:cool:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: cj100570

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon