Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Heavy data usage after upgrading to Gingerbread

So I took the plunge yesterday (3/30/11) around lunchtime and put Gingerbread on my X. Everything went smoothly, and I decided to do a full wipe of the phone just to start from scratch and have everything clean and new.

Needless to say, this meant I needed to do a lot of "housekeeping" and setting my phone back to how I'd like it. I know that syncing my accounts, reloading apps, etc would use a lot more data than an average day, but according to my usage history from Verizon, something went crazy last night when I wasn't even using the phone.

Between 7:00pm-10:00pm last night (once Gingerbread was installed and I had all my settings just about set up) while I was at event and not using my phone, there was massive data usage, upwards of 300-400MB.

Any thoughts on what this might be? I noticed my battery going down really fast during the event, but I didn't notice the sync icon or anything else out of the ordinary. I'm hoping that today and going forward my usage is back to normal, but somehow I managed to use the amount of data I normally use in a month all in one day.

749 Posts
    Global Posts
    750 Global Posts
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

You can try this and see if it can track down who's feeling chatty:
    AppBrain Android market | Network TrafficStats Lite

There are a lot of apps that cache data, when you wipe the phone the cache is cleared and it all gets downloaded again. Chances are things will stabilize over the next few days, but considering you're probably on the unlimited plan I wouldn't worry about it and just flaunt it to your AT&T friends
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks - the cached data refresh after a wipe is exactly the explanation I was looking for. I figured that had to be something else going on that was causing it.

I'll also check out that app just to make sure. And yes, with unlimited I'm not worried...except that I don't want to see 30GB of usage at the end of the month. That could raise some eyebrows with the powers that be (not to mention kill my battery everyday).

It may have something to do with the 'New Blur'. I notice my X is constantly pulling some sort of data now.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Using the TrafficStats app linked above, my usage today is back to what it's always been. The only thing in or out above a few kilobytes is downloading an app from the Market.

I'm considering this problem solved unless something spikes back up later today or tomorrow.

I'm curious, though, what the "new blur" might be transferring...if indeed that's the culprit?