Former blackberry user could use some help.

GripnRip#CB

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So coming off of a 2 year stint with a blackberry tour, I've upgraded to the droid X. Ive adapted to just about everything but have to ask two questions

1. Sound profiles - is there anyway or an app that allows you to turn off all sounds except the phone ringer?

2. Is there a program that allows you to control your phone on your computer via USB?

Thanks guys!

hdbulldog4

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
1.Not that I have found. Would love to have an app that acted like a BB sound profile manager.

2. Verizon has a media manager. not sure how good it is. I am sure you will get some answers shortly.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I think installing the Android SDK may let you remotely control your phone, I know it can let you view what's on the phone screen but I can't remember if it lets you interact with the phone.

I use a VNC Server which lets you connect over WiFi (it lets you connect over 3G as well, but that's a little more involved in the setup). Essentially you load that app on your phone and something like Real VNC on your Windows PC and you can control your phone remotely (it's very cool on my touchscreen computer!).

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I came to the X from a Storm 9530. Download simple sound profiles widget from the app store. It's free and acts just like the sound profile menu from BB. Hope this helps. Enjoy your X!

Coming for a storm 2, I missed my sound profiles for work or play.. and What I wanted from my Droid X was a quiet simple ringer, but normal volume notifications. And this widget provides just that.

I have a work profile, and a normal profile, each have different ringtones, and I am able to have them at different volume levels. Thanks!

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I think installing the Android SDK may let you remotely control your phone, I know it can let you view what's on the phone screen but I can't remember if it lets you interact with the phone.

I use a VNC Server which lets you connect over WiFi (it lets you connect over 3G as well, but that's a little more involved in the setup). Essentially you load that app on your phone and something like Real VNC on your Windows PC and you can control your phone remotely (it's very cool on my touchscreen computer!).

you got a touchscreen pc? I want it,lol

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
FWI, Android 2.3 Gingerbread will have profiles built in. The leak is out now and hopefully the OTA will not be too much longer.

GripnRip#CB

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

From what i can tell you were right about SDK.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
There is no Moto equivalent of the BB desktop application. The Moto app that wants to install when you plug in the X via USB causes more problems than it fixes. You don't need an intermediary app/program to work with your computer.

Just plug in the X via USB, cancel any Moto app attempts, and drag/drop anything from files to folders between your computer and the X - just like a Flash Drive! Works extremely well and very efficient.

BobR2

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried simple but then came across myprofiles lite and liked it better. I ended up spending a buck to get the full myprofiles which allows you to set schedules as to when it switches to different profiles that you can set up and customize

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of former BB users always miss certain features that they used to have on their Blackberry's. One that I found that is very nice is "Light Flow" you can assign different led colors to mms, sms, email, missed call..............................and so forth. If you look hard enough in the forums you can even get the complete blackberry ringtones on your Android.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Try Whoisit. It doesn't have the customized LED notifications like Berry Buzz does, but the developer is working on that. It does allow custom tones for everyone in your contact book, and it has profiles.

The only sound I hear on my Droid X is my phone ringing. Within K-9 mail and Handcent SMS, I have sound turned to Silent. It is dead easy to do.

Good luck.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams