First hopefully not too stupid question

Dachsieland

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had my phone for 2 weeks. this morning, the buttons would not work. The menu and home had the background light but the back and search do not.
I did a battery pull. Now the buttons sometimes work and sometimes not but the settings screen and the keyboard keep popping up and dropping down. You can't respond to email as the keyboard disappears in the middle of the message...
Any suggestions??

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Hmm that sounds very odd for sure. Is it a come and go issue or could you take it to where you purchased the phone and show a rep? You might have to return your phone and exchange it for another.

Since it's within the 30 days of purchase they should swap it out for free on the spot. If they try to slap you with a 50 dollar restocking fee tell em to shove it because the phone is defective. Also worth mentioning make sure they replace it with a new phone and not a refurb, they have both sitting behind the counter tell them you want a new phone.

That's how I would approach it anyway

Dachsieland

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmm that sounds very odd for sure. Is it a come and go issue or could you take it to where you purchased the phone and show a rep? You might have to return your phone and exchange it for another.

Since it's within the 30 days of purchase they should swap it out for free on the spot. If they try to slap you with a 50 dollar restocking fee tell em to shove it because the phone is defective. Also worth mentioning make sure they replace it with a new phone and not a refurb, they have both sitting behind the counter tell them you want a new phone.

That's how I would approach it anyway

It is intermittent (lord I hate that description, lol)

I ordered it from Verizon to replace a BlackBerry and it was shipped to me. I havent' dropped it, don't use it around where it can get water in it and have generally been very careful. It just started doing this randomly on the way to work this morning........

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
It is intermittent (lord I hate that description, lol)

I ordered it from Verizon to replace a BlackBerry and it was shipped to me. I havent' dropped it, don't use it around where it can get water in it and have generally been very careful. It just started doing this randomly on the way to work this morning........

Since you ordered it you may have to call VZW and have them warranty exchange it. It's not that big of a deal and you still get to use your phone while they mail you the replacement so you're not phoneless. You get to choose between overnight, 2 day or basic ground which takes about 5 days but you'll have to pay out of pocket for the first 2 mailing options.

That doesn't mean you can't take it to a VZW store and try your luck there. Tell them your problem, try to show them and hopefully you'll have a sympathetic rep and not a tight wad lol.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
With all the posts we've seen lately about defective newly issued X's(refurbs or not), they better make sure the new X is flawless,lol.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a factory reset? My mom has had to exchange several dincs by mail over the past year and she has never been charged restocking fees or any of that BS.

Dachsieland

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I took the phone to the local Verizon store. After attempting a couple of factory resets they decided it just needed to be replaced. But........they didn't have any new ones in stock. What they told me they would do is get one from another store and call me this afternoon to come in and swap it out with the old one. Luckily, the phone did all the weird tricks for them that it was doing for me, even after the reset, so they could see I was telling the truth.

Dachsieland

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I took the phone to the local Verizon store. After attempting a couple of factory resets they decided it just needed to be replaced. But........they didn't have any new ones in stock. What they told me they would do is get one from another store and call me this afternoon to come in and swap it out with the old one. Luckily, the phone did all the weird tricks for them that it was doing for me, even after the reset, so they could see I was telling the truth.

Next in the saga....

They call me and tell me that they have my replacement phone. I go to get it and they say ooops you have have it too long, you have to get it warranty replaced, we can ship you one, which means they want to replace a new phone with someone's else's refurbished problem.

Verizon could not care any less about their customers. And a phone that just is all over the place and screens popping up and dropping down and calls might go through or they might not after 2 weeks is bull crap.

So to the Verizon store in New Bern NC......... your customer service sucks........

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you had bad luck with trying to exchange your phone in store but I can't say I wasn't expecting it.

It really sucks that you got a lame rep, I would have raised hell lol, sometimes you have to be a jerk to get anything done. Good luck with the exchange. Maybe you can get them to flag the overnight or two day fee since its so recent.

Dachsieland

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you had bad luck with trying to exchange your phone in store but I can't say I wasn't expecting it.

It really sucks that you got a lame rep, I would have raised hell lol, sometimes you have to be a jerk to get anything done. Good luck with the exchange. Maybe you can get them to flag the overnight or two day fee since its so recent.

They shipped me a like new certified .............not new like I paid for just a little over two weeks ago. So lets see what problems other than the fact it didn't want to activate it gives me.........