Don't install Google Maps update on GB

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Background. I had incessant problems with Google maps on Froyo stock then on custom ROMs. Long story short since google maps 5 about 1 in 4 times of usage would completely crash my phone.

So I updated to Gingerbread with the Maps 5.2.1 that came with it. For a week everything ran great. Today I installed the 5.3 and the first time I used Google Maps it crashed the phone and the second time it wouldn't lock on my GPS coordinates, which was fixed with another reboot.

So the update is uninstalled and now im back in the stock Maps that came with Gingerbread.

Last edited:

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Must be nice. Im running unrooted GB.

Id give it time tho. The update just came out today.

As an added note the lockup occurred during navigation

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just realized this is a different update than the one that I just did a day or two ago, I will have to install and give the new update and test it.

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
i know there was a thread of people having similar problems with Google Maps before. I guess there's just a "lucky" collection of us.

Anyways, used my reverted (5.2.1) Maps all day today, no problems. Guess I just won't be updating my Google Maps.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok I have used the latest updated version of Google Maps for the last two days and haven't received one FC.. Updates working good for me.

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
btw, this isn't an FC. This is the phone completely locks, then 2-3 minutes later it reboots itself....if I don't pull the battery first.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
FC. or not, I haven't had any issues at all including any lockup or reboot. have you checked to make sure your device isn't low on memory when this happens.

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Background. I had incessant problems with Google maps on Froyo stock then on custom ROMs. Long story short since google maps 5 about 1 in 4 times of usage would completely crash my phone.

So I updated to Gingerbread with the Maps 5.2.1 that came with it. For a week everything ran great. Today I installed the 5.3 and the first time I used Google Maps it crashed the phone and the second time it wouldn't lock on my GPS coordinates, which was fixed with another reboot.

So the update is uninstalled and now im back in the stock Maps that came with Gingerbread.

Just curious - did you completely wipe your phone when you did the upgrade to GB?
I ask, because I also had freezing problems with maps on Froyo. I did the upgrade to the rooted, leaked GB and haven;t had issues since. I did the maps upgrade as well, and still no return of my problems. I completely wiped the phone when I did the upgrade, and then reinstalled programs fresh rather than restoring a backup. If you did not do that, it may be worth a try.
Full disclosure: I ended up not reinstalling EVERYTHING I had before, so maybe there was a bad program creating a conflict with Maps....

Good luck.

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
When going to GB I did a full cachd wipe then a data wipe. Google maps update is the ONLY thing to give me trouble since the upgrade. Otherwise I am extremely happy with GB. Another day of Maps use today and no problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm