1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Don't install Google Maps update on GB

Background. I had incessant problems with Google maps on Froyo stock then on custom ROMs. Long story short since google maps 5 about 1 in 4 times of usage would completely crash my phone.

So I updated to Gingerbread with the Maps 5.2.1 that came with it. For a week everything ran great. Today I installed the 5.3 and the first time I used Google Maps it crashed the phone and the second time it wouldn't lock on my GPS coordinates, which was fixed with another reboot.

So the update is uninstalled and now im back in the stock Maps that came with Gingerbread.
    Last edited by Clemsonpablo; 04-06-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Works fine on mine....

I'm running the rooted Gingerbread myself.

Work fine for me also..
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Must be nice. Im running unrooted GB.

Id give it time tho. The update just came out today.

As an added note the lockup occurred during navigation

ROM
    AOKP B23/Imoseyon 1.10

Everything works good here. Gps and all.
    Motorola V195 - Samsung R410 - Moto W385 - LG Voyager - Storm 1 - Storm 2 - Moto Droid 1 - Moto DX - Samsung Galaxy Nexus Unlocked!!!

Just realized this is a different update than the one that I just did a day or two ago, I will have to install and give the new update and test it.
    Samsung S3

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Beans, Build 2

No problems here. Used mine for navigation as well.
    BB Storm 1 --> Droid X --> Galaxy S3

Just updated using unrooted GB. I haven't had any problems.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Wish I was as lucky as you guys. Oh well, the 5.3 update was primarily about Latitude updates anyways.

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 25/Imoseyon lean 2.2

No issues here before or after rooted GB...
    vor

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bigxie

No FC on maps that I can remember in a long time
    Droid HD Maxx on Tmo Prepaid [ROM] Nexesesque
    Xoom [ROM] Team EOS ICS

Galaxy Nexus GSM [ROM] RasbeanJelly
    Droid X [ROM] VorteX Reloaded (VXR)
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

i know there was a thread of people having similar problems with Google Maps before. I guess there's just a "lucky" collection of us.

Anyways, used my reverted (5.2.1) Maps all day today, no problems. Guess I just won't be updating my Google Maps.

Ok I have used the latest updated version of Google Maps for the last two days and haven't received one FC.. Updates working good for me.
    Samsung S3
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

btw, this isn't an FC. This is the phone completely locks, then 2-3 minutes later it reboots itself....if I don't pull the battery first.

FC. or not, I haven't had any issues at all including any lockup or reboot. have you checked to make sure your device isn't low on memory when this happens.
    Samsung S3

ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

Thinking about it, I have never used Google Maps on any phone I've had with it on. But I just checked and it's working ok.
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonpablo View Post
    Background. I had incessant problems with Google maps on Froyo stock then on custom ROMs. Long story short since google maps 5 about 1 in 4 times of usage would completely crash my phone.

So I updated to Gingerbread with the Maps 5.2.1 that came with it. For a week everything ran great. Today I installed the 5.3 and the first time I used Google Maps it crashed the phone and the second time it wouldn't lock on my GPS coordinates, which was fixed with another reboot.

So the update is uninstalled and now im back in the stock Maps that came with Gingerbread.
    Just curious - did you completely wipe your phone when you did the upgrade to GB?
    I ask, because I also had freezing problems with maps on Froyo. I did the upgrade to the rooted, leaked GB and haven;t had issues since. I did the maps upgrade as well, and still no return of my problems. I completely wiped the phone when I did the upgrade, and then reinstalled programs fresh rather than restoring a backup. If you did not do that, it may be worth a try.
    Full disclosure: I ended up not reinstalling EVERYTHING I had before, so maybe there was a bad program creating a conflict with Maps....

Good luck.

No problems here as well. I also wipe data and cache before installing any different rom.
    a little obsessive...
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

When going to GB I did a full cachd wipe then a data wipe. Google maps update is the ONLY thing to give me trouble since the upgrade. Otherwise I am extremely happy with GB. Another day of Maps use today and no problems.