Resetting Music Library List

Nashcat

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Even after deleting everything from my media/music folder all tunes still show up as being there, whether using the native player or MixZing. Of course they won't play, but the full list still appears.

I was having a lot of duplicate entries show up and incorrect album art (VERY unnerving to hear Clapton playing Crossroads and seeing Frankie Valli's face...) :confused: and thought I'd just clear everything out and start fresh, but apparently that database is stored somewhere else and won't reset with a fresh scan.

I do a simple drag n drop to install/uninstall tunes from my laptop. How can I clear the list? I'm not rooted.

Thanks!

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
After clearing the Cache & Data from "Media Storage", also clear them from the "Media Container Services".. and then reboot. Not sure just clearing one of those will work. But I believe doing both will. No major harm from doing this (I've done it before), except you may lose your playlists, as they are stored in the same place. Hopefully you have a backup (do you use Titanium?) that you can just restore "Playlists" from if that happens.

Reactions: Nashcat

Nashcat

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Wildman and LMO,

Thanks to both of you I'm back to normal and further enlightened! Clearing the Media Storage alone did the trick. There was no data to delete in the Media Container Service app.

Will look into Titanium. Hat's off to both of you. Thanks!

Zarilya

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
That works well to get rid of the duplicates, except on my galaxy s2 it also wipes out all custom notification tones and things of that nature. It also wiped out all the pics in my gallery. They were, in fact, still there when I searched "my files" but they never showed back up in the library. Also, all of my ringtones were not showing either. It seems to be something to do with having an external SD card. I never had this issue until I added that. I wonder if there is something I was supposed to do when I added that.

gomcse

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I was having duplicate notifications. I cleared my Media Cache and lost all of my playlists and photos and videos. They are clearly still in my phone because I can see them with file manager, but my stock Music app and Gallery cannot see anything. HOW DO I RESTORE? I need my music app to see my music, and I need my gallery to see my photos and video. SO FRUSTRATING.

EDIT: JetAudio installed (free version). The first thing it did was ask if I wanted to rebuild my music database. I said Yes. It restored EVERYTHING except my Playlists (not a big deal). My photos and my music came back. WHY isn't there an easy way to do this in Lollipop???

THANK YOU to the users of this forum. Without you I would still be super frustrated. You people are AMAZING.
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87