So I saw a Droid X 2 today in person...

elkniwcire

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
One of our network guys came into our store today and he had a Droid X 2. I got to play with it for a few minutes. First off, the screen is greatly improved. The colors and contrast are much nicer and had a sort of dot-matrix look to it, similar to amoled. It seemed to be at a higher resolution, like the Atrix, because the icons were much smaller.
The phone was very fast and was running the same launcher as the GB leaks for the X we have seen, but I can not confirm which OS version it was running.
I can however confirm that it is dual-core. The phone boots up with a "powered by dual core" boot animation just like the Xoom.
Physically the phone looks just like the Droid X, but slightly darker and has no camera button. Overall it has a smoother texture than the original X. No front-facing camera.
He did say that the phone is 3G only, just like the leaks have suggested. I only spent a brief time with. Maybe 1-2 minutes tops so I didn't get to dive too deep into the OS or features, but I did want to share.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately. Why even bother with an X2 when Bionic is right around the corner?

I'm guessing that the MSRP will help answer that question, but we'll see :)

Personally a lack of 4G isn't a showstopper, in fact none of the new phones interest me enough to upgrade. If I were buying new today I'd consider the X2 over the Bionic depending on price and battery life.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I think I'll be happy as is with my OGX(it will soon be called that) since the X2 doesn't have a ton of features that would make me purchase it and the Bionic on 4G which I dont think the speed difference( I am in a coverage area home and work)will be that drastic to make me switch either. I'm no longer in that "I have to have it cuz it's the newest thing" phase anymore. Nice to see they are trying to advance, but they are doing it in small, money making steps. Give me a holographic projector, unlimited data, and interchangeable RAM for gaming and I might think about it. Oh and Wireless Tether,lol.

Reactions: tluv004

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Iam up for the X2. I don't have to buy new cases/cradle/charger our worry about if my apps will work. Its faster, smoother just more polished. Would love it to have 4g but I don't care that much. I want to see the price difference between it and the bionic.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I would have considered the X2 in place of Bionic IF it had a front facing camera...which I know is gimmicky but I still want it.

Even though I DO live in a 4G area, 4G does not work at my home, nor does it hold a good signal at work. Because of this my experience with the Thunderbolt was constant switching between 4G and 3G and the battery took a beating. So I'd actually be o.k. with a 3G only phone for a while longer. The dual core is a winner...but the lack of front facing camera would have given it the push I need to upgrade. It's not enough for me to change from my X to a X2 without it. I'm still keeping my eye on the bionic but LTE is not one of my reasons for wanting to buy it.

xltbob

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Damn! I'm limping along with a BB Storm and a battery that lasts half a day waiting for the 17th to come around so that I can get my NE2 upgrade discount, yes I am still eligible for it. I plan on getting an X, but now I guess I'll wait and see what the X2 will be going for. Oh the humanity! I so badly want to get rid of this BB.

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Damn! I'm limping along with a BB Storm and a battery that lasts half a day waiting for the 17th to come around so that I can get my NE2 upgrade discount, yes I am still eligible for it. I plan on getting an X, but now I guess I'll wait and see what the X2 will be going for. Oh the humanity! I so badly want to get rid of this BB.

Yeah. You'd be smart to wait instead of getting an X right now. Unless you use wirefly to get one real cheap or even free.

progers

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
To xltbob, I too had the BB Storm and last year I waited to see if rim would come out with something better but didn't, so I went to the Droidx. I can only say that I love this phone. After being use to battery pulls everyday, and freezeups, this droid phone works everytime I touch it with no freezeup that touching home will not clear up. Since October with heavy usuage, I've only hosed it up twice and pulled the battery which I was probably the cause. Bionic is coming and sounds great, but any of the droids on 3G are great phones. I love the big 4.3 screen. The battery can last all day but I usually give it a charge about 5-6pm. Be sure to get the windshield docker if you have a fairly new car with a aux jack. It works great for google maps w/turn by turn navigation, music, and phone calls all working together hands free. Well worth the $45. The ADW Laucher EX screen replacement app works great also to give my droid home screen and widget manipulation and display much better. Mucho Bucho apps and lots of free apps. Can't go wrong with Droidx or any other android os phone. New is great, but can get good deals moneywise on the models that have been around 10 mos. I love seeing the new technology each year. Go for it. Unless QNX can give the BB something better, I'm sold on Android. A couple years ago I would have gone to IOS but by the time Verizon got the phone, the Droid line had come around the track and blew by them in certain aspects. That is still a great phone. Some like ios and some like droid. Thats ok. They have the edge on music sync, but I hear good things are coming. Try the PowerAmp music player. Once you get your music on the phone it works just as good. Anyway, enouch said. Join the Droid Family. later

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I am fine with the lack of 3G but only if it supports voice and data at the same time over it like the Thunderbolt does. Yes 4G is super fast but the current 4G LTE chipsets are battery killers. I am sure by next year things will be better but this is still a very nice improvement over the Droid X I already have and love.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I am fine with the lack of 3G but only if it supports voice and data at the same time over it like the Thunderbolt does. Yes 4G is super fast but the current 4G LTE chipsets are battery killers. I am sure by next year things will be better but this is still a very nice improvement over the Droid X I already have and love.

The only reason the Thunderbolt does simultaneous voice/data is because it is 4G LTE. If the Droid X2 really isn't LTE then it won't be able to just like the OG Droid X.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
The only reason the Thunderbolt does simultaneous voice/data is because it is 4G LTE. If the Droid X2 really isn't LTE then it won't be able to just like the OG Droid X.

I thought the Thunderbolt only does simultaneous voice and data by using both LTE and CDMA radios simultaneously. VZW is at least a year away from rolling out real VoLTE.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Played with a Thunderbolt for a while and was not at all impressed; the 4G (or their version of) is not enough to be a deal breaker. The battery life is important and the Tbolt is atrocious. I like everything suggested about the Bionic; hopefully the battery issue will be resolved by then. In the meantime, like many here, I would be happy with a X2, dual core.....

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

This is sorta true but not quite. Yes the Thunderbolt does imultaneous voice/data over 4G but it also does it over 3G as it uses the new enhanced 3G network known as HRPD. This network was designed with its main goal being faster switching between 3G and 4G on devices like the Thunderbolt but it also allows for voice and data at the same time over 3G. No word on whether or not regular 3G phones will get support for this too as none of their current 3G phones support it but it would be nice to see it on the X2.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If I can get any sort of deal on this I'll definitely be getting the DX2 as an upgrade from my DX. Don't get me wrong, it's been a great phone, but I want the battery savings and CPU power for the dual core chipsets and the better GPU processing without the battery drain of an LTE radio.

And it looks like GBlur is going to be good enough not to be upset about the bootloader (don't get me wrong, I'm upset on principle, I just mean it won't be enough to make me drop it altogether).

Unless a dual core VZW Nexus is announced, but as I understand it that will probably be late fall.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It seems strange that the X2 would be so minimal in improvements when other phones in the offing will far surpass it in capabilities and features. What was/is the point in even creating it? Just one more phone on the market???

I don't think I would spend the money for an X2 when my NE2 comes up. I'll likely go for something akin to the Bionic with the 4G/LTE capabilities and the front-facing camera. That camera feature may seem lame, but I know people with iPh4's that use it frequently for Skype calls and really like it.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It seems strange that the X2 would be so minimal in improvements when other phones in the offing will far surpass it in capabilities and features. What was/is the point in even creating it? Just one more phone on the market???

EVERY high-end phone will be an antique in six months. The X2 is essentially a Bionic without 4G (and probably without the FFC - but I've seen conflicting reports on that). If you don't need 4G, you want better battery life, or you want 1G vs. 512M of RAM the X2 is a better choice. I don't see the two as overlapping a whole lot.

Over the current X it gets a dual-core processor, more RAM and higher resolution screen - a decent evolution but nothing revolutionary. Considering most are on a two-year upgrade plan there's not much draw for existing X owners to upgrade until the "X3" probably next year.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am not in a hurry for 4g. I am enjoying the Incredible and it is a great device even if Verizon did cancel out so they can make room for the Incredible2 I don't know why they didn't keep it even with the Incredible2 given it is also still at 3g but it will be global. Let the customer have its choice and not discontinue it ! They still have the BB 8530 even though showing as refurbished........not a very good device. The Droid Incredible, however, has been a top seller and rated high.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45