Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Cannot read encrypted email even with my certs installed

Just got my Droid X, and am getting it configured. I have an S/MIME-encrypted email in my inbox, and I have installed my private key in the Credential Storage, along with the email sender's public key. When I attempt to read the email, there only appears an attachment with the details:

smime.p7m
    4.4 KB Cannot be viewed

What am I missing here? Thanks for any assistance.

(One thing which was not obvious - when exporting the email sender's public key, Mac OS X gives it an extension of .cer; Android looks for an extension of .crt so that had to be renamed before importing.)
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Looking at the bundled email software, there doesn't even appear to be a place to attach one's public key. So the infrastructure looks pretty bleak - unless I'm missing something?

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

I've only used APG for GPG-encrypted messages. A search for S-MIME only turns up TouchDown and two apps that don't have the downloads or reviews to trust with encrypted email.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Unfortunately, APG can't handle S/MIME certs. I found and downloaded X509Tools, and it seems to get the job done, albeit a bit clunkily. (When I installed my certs before, apparently they really didn't - X509Tools showed no installed private keys, and when I installed them via X509Tools, then when I clicked on my encrypted email, X509 came up and decrypted the message.)

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

X509Tools has a single four-star review, but I'm a bit concerned about only having <50 downloads and being so new. It seems like it works, but it has full Internet access (probably required to query CAs) so in theory it could do bad things with your keys and emails. APG has the benefit of being open source (and recognizing that they're asking for a scary permission), but it means using GPG/PGP instead of S/MIME.

At least you've got access to your emails now, even if it is a little clunky.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)

Default x509tools

hi guys,

just read your discussion and as the programmer of X509Tools just want to bring some light into the dark.
    According the concerns of jdbower:
    * I just released the app a week ago, therefore it only has a few downloads and just (at the moment) 3 votes .
    * the app needs fully internet access to SEND encrypted emails, since it is not possible to do this through other mail client - and trust me i've tried.
    * app is not open source: I just wrote the app because I've a big need to read encrypted emails and want to share it with other who have the same issue. To make an app open source is much work and atm I don't see the need. On the other hand the question is: have you review the APG code or the openssl code or any other code you are using for security? But I got your point and in general I'm with you and I take some time in my vacation next 2 week to think about it!

regards

stefan

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Thanks! It's always reassuring to know the dev is a real person (well, as real as a forum persona can be ).

Glad to see the reason for the Internet access, I'd probably recommend adding that explanation to the description the next time you do an update - I know it would have gone a long way with me.

It's hard when you're a new app in a field that needs trust, but I guess everyone needs to start somewhere. I can also sympathize about the work needed to release things as open source - especially crypto software with some of the US's antiquated rules. While I haven't read (nor could I read) the code for APG, I trust someone has. Then again, I would have also trusted that someone read the code for Unreal as well so it's hardly a sure thing...

So welcome to AC and thanks for popping in to let us know a bit about your application.

I just wrote the app because I've a big need to read encrypted emails and want to share it with other who have the same issue.
    These are often my favorite apps!
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)

thanks for the tip its good to know whats the impression of my app.

I guess I'll make a own site for the app to explain all things in deep, since the description text can now be 4000 chars long, but not everyone is interested in to much details.

would be found later on at http://rundquadrat.at/x509tools