Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

So i have officially decided to wait i=until the OTA gets pushed to my phone. I just can't seem to figure out how to get the file transferred to my SD Card (NOOB, but still getting used to Android over BB)

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    dont unzip the file. leave it as a .zip file and rename it "update". thats the only way your phone will recognize it
    i did what you said and move the file back to my phone. i get this messgae
    "e:can't open/ cashe/recovery/command
    e:signature verification failed
    installation aborted

what am i doing wrong.

ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

Quote Originally Posted by Finsol View Post
    SBF'd from Liberty 2.0.1, manually installed OTA and now rocking the new official Gingerbread release, man it feels good to be a DX owner .

We are basically the first phone to be upgraded to Gingerbread aside from the Nexus brands and that should tell you something regarding our phones status.
    Did you not like the Liberty? Im staying where I am cuz todays leak really wont be much different than the deodexed GB leak a couple weeks ago.
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.
    Spoken Word

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by AtanRaca View Post
    So i have officially decided to wait i=until the OTA gets pushed to my phone. I just can't seem to figure out how to get the file transferred to my SD Card (NOOB, but still getting used to Android over BB)
    Copy it from the download location on your PC and paste it into your SD card and rename it "update".

settings > about phone > system updates: "your device is up to date! no update is necessary at this time."

i don't mess with roots and such. i'll just wait till my phone gets the update.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

Quote Originally Posted by mrwestdickens View Post
    i did what you said and move the file back to my phone. i get this messgae
    "e:can't open/ cashe/recovery/command
    e:signature verification failed
    installation aborted

what am i doing wrong.
    just to confirm, you took the update file, renamed it so the filename is "update.zip", and placed it on the root (main) area of your sd card? and you are on the official froyo release and not rooted or rom'med?

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Remember, PCs always add the .zip so don't ever add that, ever. People name something update.zip, then it reads update.zip.zip as terpitude says allready, make sure file is update.zip.

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    just to confirm, you took the update file, renamed it so the filename is "update.zip", and placed it on the root (main) area of your sd card? and you are on the official froyo release and not rooted or rom'med?
    ok i am rooted w/ zroot. i did a wipe but the superuser is still there.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

Quote Originally Posted by mrwestdickens View Post
    ok i am rooted w/ zroot. i did a wipe but the superuser is still there.
    that might be the issue. wiping wont get rid of root privileges. anywhere i have seen the update posted has said that root users need to sbf before applying this update. obviously, though, sbf'ing will erase everything on your phone and return it to the out of the box state

EDIT: did some more reading. apparently if you are ONLY rooted, it should install fine, but if you are rom'med, themed, deodexed, bootstrapped, or have frozen/removed bloatware (basically if youve made any framework changes), it wont work without sbf'ing first. you will, of course, lose root access with the update though
    Last edited by terpitude71; 04-12-2011 at 10:33 PM.

EDIT: did some more reading. apparently if you are ONLY rooted, it should install fine, but if you are rom'med, themed, deodexed, bootstrapped, or have frozen/removed bloatware (basically if youve made any framework changes), it wont work without sbf'ing first. you will, of course, lose root access with the update though[/QUOTE]

thank for all you help. i found a post on how to remove zroot. i removed it & placed the update on my phone again. i stiil get the error that the file can't be found. i didnt do noe of that other stuff cause i dont know how to. guess i'll have to wait until the updat is pushed out. also not sure what sfb is.
    Last edited by mrwestdickens; 04-12-2011 at 10:52 PM.

the file has been removed from the download site, anyone else have it

Quote Originally Posted by flybass View Post
    unrooted and unfroze apps in anticipation. god, i forgot how slow the phone was with the bloatware experience..
    I agree, I didn't think I would have issue with going back stock but Im shaking to flash this build instead of holding out for possible OTA.

Also has anyone heard update on root for new build..
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    I agree, I didn't think I would have issue with going back stock but Im shaking to flash this build instead of holding out for possible OTA.

Also has anyone heard update on root for new build..

there seem to be a few isolated glitches with the build and i'm starting to think it's not real only because the keyboard is not the same gingerbread keyboard as shown in previous build images. it appears google will not sync contacts (without wiping first) so the sync symbol will constantly show in the notification bar.

i do recommend wiping your phone prior to installing, seeing as several programs did not work after updating and i had to remove and reinstall them anyway.

this build is MUCH better at managing memory, i'll say that much.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12