1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Default OTA - GB ... What prep needed?

For those of us who are NOT rooted, what should we do to prepare for a good installation of Gingerbread when it is offered OTA?

Should we un-install any apps? What about Launcher Pro Plus? Would a Factory Data Reset be advisable before installing GB?

Or, can we just download (whenever it shows up, that is) and see what happens?
    Always learning ...
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

I would say just wait for the update. No action is necessary from a normal non-rooted user. Enjoy the wait, it will seem like forever...........

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod10

perhaps backup your sdcard, but only in case something went wrong, which only sometimes does...

otherwise, just sit back and wait.
    HTC Touch Pro>HTC Droid Eris>Moto Droid X>Samsung Focus>HTC Sensation 4G>Nexus 4>Nexus 5
    Your phone will only be the latest and greatest for a few months.

What if you are rooted, how can you get unrooted? I actually got the update, but the install failed because I am rooted I guess.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    For those of us who are NOT rooted, what should we do to prepare for a good installation of Gingerbread when it is offered OTA?

Should we un-install any apps? What about Launcher Pro Plus? Would a Factory Data Reset be advisable before installing GB?

Or, can we just download (whenever it shows up, that is) and see what happens?
    No preparation needed, you should be good to go.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzelbutt View Post
    What if you are rooted, how can you get unrooted? I actually got the update, but the install failed because I am rooted I guess.
    If you are rooted the update will not take. You will have to flash your nandroid backup, hopefully you made one when you rooted.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

If I rooted with z4root, do I just need to click unroot?

Quote Originally Posted by jpuk23 View Post
    If I rooted with z4root, do I just need to click unroot?
    I'm wondering the same...
    UtahConcealer

Crackberry 8330 ---> Droid X ---> Droid X2 ---> Blk 16gb iPhone 4
    LMO

ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

I am wondering this too. Although I read somewhere that if you have Clockworkmod Recovery installed that will prevent the OTA from being pushed to you. Can anyone confirm this with 100% certainty!? I have Clockwork installed, so I am not expecting to see the OTA (and will not want to until there is a root for it).

~ Droid RAZR MAXX, Stock rooted ICS
    ~ Xoom Wi-fi: Stock rooted JB

i uninstalled adw just in case. from what i've seen gingerbread gives you so many new features that market launchers might not be needed. but we'll see soon enough i guess