Gingerbread on the Droid X, whats new

spunkmeijer

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
In regards to battery life.....Every update has bad battery life when I first get it as I am playing with the phone more than I usually do. Guess I won't really see the impact until a week or so after the "newness" wears off.

Funny how very few think of this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BuMMeR-X

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
New to the Forums but not the site...just did the GB Update on my stock Droid X and everything worked fine no issues or problems. Everything seems to be working fine and seems to be a lot better performance....

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I may recommend titanium, and free version allows 5 app backups, but data should transfer fine, no factory reset should be needed.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey French, my phone was doing this as well. I read in another post that the only way to stop this is to factory reset your phone. After reading that I did the reset and the sync symbol shows up when its supposed to. Yea resetting your phone is a pain but it will solve that problem.

Do not restore settings from Titanium Backup or any backup apps for email accounts, input them fresh because this causes this to happen, if you go to Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / All Tab / Account Storage and force close you will see that the sync will go away... But this doesn't fix it just shows where issue is, eventually GB uses a different format for email settings that causes this.

Reset and input settings manually...

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

... But this doesn't fix it just shows where issue is, eventually GB uses a different format for email settings that causes this.

If we can locate where the issue is, then why can't we clear the data from gmail and make it stop permanently without doing a full reset?

...just wondering...

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Is the original poster asking what's new on the droid x after installing the leaked gingerbread rom?

Or is he asking what is newer on the 2nd gingerbread rom leak that was reported on androidcentral yesterday versus the original leak from about a month ago?

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
The OP HES, it sounds like he just got it for the first time because he describes the change in the boot logo M being blood red(nice). If he leaked last month with the rest of us he would have had that. Then again, maybe hes making the point this time not the first time about that.

SUPERSPORT25

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well one new thing I've noticed and definitely do not like is that there is now a refresh symbol in my task bar 100% of the time (the double rounded/circular arrows). They never change so as far as I can tell they aren't actually doing anything other than driving me nuts. I truly can't stand the constant indication that something is refreshing when it is not.

If it matters or anyone has any ideas, it is on the right side of the task bar and it's always the furthest left from whatever services icons I have on. So in my case it is directly next to the Bluetooth icon.

Check to make sure Picasa isnt trying to sync in the my accounts section. Also make sure u are not in PC Mode. I also had an issue where Titanium Backup was trying to run for some reason so I had to reinstall. Then after that I would say factory reset.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I ended up doing a reset. What a pain. I have never restored email accounts from backup...have always put them in fresh. I do, however, restore apps from backup and what a major pain. I use MyBackup Pro and you have to accept each one, one at at time. And then when you are done you still don't have the data AND...Android Market doesn't recognize the free programs.

Google really needs to come up with a way for users like me that aren't afraid of the cloud, to do backups of apps AND data. And to be able to decide which ones. I have a couple of apps that sync with my computer and would never want those in the cloud. But restoring an Android phone is the worst experience ever.

Having said that, my initial observations of Gingerbread...I think battery life is going to rock. I literally had this thing working ALL day with installations, updates, a few games in between (Wordfeud FTW)...it lasted 7 hours (would have made it 8 but I plugged it in) with non stop use. And I mean that literally.

My phone seems much snappier. It was never slow to begin with but just the act of installing apps from backup it seemed to do the installs faster.

I like the darker theme, though interestingly enough the menus are now lighter whereas before they were darker.

I'm using GoLauncher but I played a little bit with the new blur and I think I may just let blur stay stock when/if I get the Bionic. I like it but am used to GoLauncher so sticking with that for now.

I am so happy I dumped my Fascinate and got the Droid X. Unreal that the Fascinate still doesn't even have froyo.

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Solution for ever-present sync icon

Using root explorer, go into system/app and scroll down until you find BlurContactsSync.apk

Change Mounted as r/o to Mount R/W

Rename this file BlurContactsSync.apk.bak

It's a redundant file that does the same thing that google's native sync does. The sync icon will go away and no need to wipe your phone.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Using root explorer, go into system/app and scroll down until you find BlurContactsSync.apk

It's a redundant file that does the same thing that google's native sync does. The sync icon will go away and no need to wipe your phone.

It would be great if we could actually do that... we don't have root yet! :(

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It would be great if we could actually do that... we don't have root yet! :(

You should have installed the pre-rooted version of GB. It's out there.

Edit: I just realized that you guys are on the .588 version of GB, for which there is no root yet. Sorry 'bout that. But when there is root, this method will work still.

Last edited:

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Damn wish i woulda known that last week before i done the wipe and spend most of a day setting everything back up again. Oh well still rockin the rooted GB version and lovin it so far!!!

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Anybody having trouble getting back into the recovery screen after loading the .588 version? I hold the power and home button down, let go when I see the exclamation in the triangle, and then it's frozen. Tapping the search key once does nothing. In fact, no buttons seem to work.
Can any one verify this problem?

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Anybody having trouble getting back into the recovery screen after loading the .588 version? I hold the power and home button down, let go when I see the exclamation in the triangle, and then it's frozen. Tapping the search key once does nothing. In fact, no buttons seem to work.

Recovery changed in GB... instead of the search key you have to hold down both volume buttons at the same time.

Reactions: aim4squirrels#AC

Jason6787

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

This happened to me on the first leak - the button changed I think it's now the volume down button instead of search. I think the power button is "select" now too on the recovery menu instead of the camera button (likely to accommodate the Droid X 2 which has no camera button)

Overall, I think they've drastically improved Blur.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

fandum

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well one new thing I've noticed and definitely do not like is that there is now a refresh symbol in my task bar 100% of the time (the double rounded/circular arrows). They never change so as far as I can tell they aren't actually doing anything other than driving me nuts. I truly can't stand the constant indication that something is refreshing when it is not.

If it matters or anyone has any ideas, it is on the right side of the task bar and it's always the furthest left from whatever services icons I have on. So in my case it is directly next to the Bluetooth icon.
That's an easy one but you need root.
Go to /System/app and change the file name BlurContactSync.apks to BlurContactSync.apk.bak and you'll never see it again.
That file is not used in GB (or rather there are other files that do the same thing).