Is the new GB official?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Even though VZW doesn't confirm, it could be still. Maybe not? I would not take bloggers bible right now. We will know more as it unfolds. It passed stock bootloader, so if it isn't, it is closer than ever.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Too many people have confirmed getting it OTA (plus the fact that phones recognize it as a signed Moto update) for it to be fake. At the same time, I believe Verizon when they say they aren't rolling out the official update.

I'd guess it's either a slip on someone's part, or else it's a test with a limited number of participants (in which case either those people are violating an NDA, or else once again it was a slip on someones part).

Anyways, this would appear to be "official" in the sense that it's been sent from Moto and VZW to at least a few people, but they'd probably prefer you not to install it yourself until they can vet it.

If the OTA goes out in the next week or two then it will probably be this version. If it isn't then they presumably found some problems they wanted to work on first.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
It seems like there are many people having problems with this build, as opposed to the other build that went out. I guess I am going to stick with the GB build that I have on the phone now. Thanks for your answers!

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Too many people have confirmed getting it OTA (plus the fact that phones recognize it as a signed Moto update) for it to be fake. At the same time, I believe Verizon when they say they aren't rolling out the official update.

I'd guess it's either a slip on someone's part, or else it's a test with a limited number of participants (in which case either those people are violating an NDA, or else once again it was a slip on someones part).

Anyways, this would appear to be "official" in the sense that it's been sent from Moto and VZW to at least a few people, but they'd probably prefer you not to install it yourself until they can vet it.

If the OTA goes out in the next week or two then it will probably be this version. If it isn't then they presumably found some problems they wanted to work on first.

I am almost positive oTa updates are not rolled out en masse but instead by geographic segments.

Sent with my thumbs.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It seems like there are many people having problems with this build...

Aren't most of the "problems" being reported actually problems with 3rd party apps (Launcher Pro/Handcent) and not the new OS update itself? Also... after you either re-install the apps or turn the device off and then back on again the problems go away.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I love it, but it still seems to be to buggy for prime-time, so if it was/is it shouldn't be, if not oh well I'm going to run it until they do push something, don't want to download my apps again.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you that I had a few problems with the install, but GBs been running very smooth for me and I'm loving it!

Yup, same here. I think that is one thing about playing with our phones. Nothing is impossible with them, but there are times where it can be a pain in the rump getting the phone back to stock so that it can upgraded again.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
This is why I always backup and then wipe everything before updating a OS, it saves a lot of headaches, the update was tested on a clean build image, not with 40 - 50 apps already installed, plus some settings from Froyo are not compatible with GB... I usual don't notice any of the issues because wiping is my golden rule that has payed off for me.

Whats is more of a waste of time, spending a week of bugs and errors to avoid wiping personal data or settings. Or wiping data and hard reset and spend a hour to set device back up fresh?

Last edited:

Dark Guitar Lord

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still waiting to get this update OTA. Hopefully it will happen soon in my area. I have found myself checking for updates multiple times throughout the day since the announcement yesterday.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
After doing a wipe I have to say this build is very stable with almost no bugs on my phone. Also, Launcher Pro Plus is working perfectly for me (and it's really fast now in the app drawer!).

The only bug I've encountered so far is gmail has popped up the "What's new in Gmail" bubble several times, which is a minor nuisance at worst.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm still waiting to get this update OTA. Hopefully it will happen soon in my area. I have found myself checking for updates multiple times throughout the day since the announcement yesterday.

You're probably going to be waiting for a while because this is not an official update and it's not going out OTA.

Reactions: WAldenIV

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Pushed, but apparently pulled since then.

It hasn't been pulled, it was only sent to a few people (presumably people intended to be testers, although apparently not everyone who got it was under NDA).

It's an official OTA, it just wasn't intended for wider distribution yet.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
It hasn't been pulled, it was only sent to a few people (presumably people intended to be testers, although apparently not everyone who got it was under NDA).

It's an official OTA, it just wasn't intended for wider distribution yet.

If it is an official OTA push, why has VZW stated that they are not offering this as an OTA update?