1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.1 RC 1.2

Default Tethering and WiFi hotspot in settings

I know Google loves us and thinks WiFi tethering should be free, I noticed that tethering and WiFi hotspot are now in the settings. My question is, is this just like tethering on the Nexus line of devices, or if I enable it will VZW gladly add tethering to my plan? I know this is wishful thinking but VZW please think like Google and play nice lol.
    Last edited by kentusmc; 04-13-2011 at 05:56 PM.
    Nokia 6xxx >> Motorola i710 >> Motorola Razr >> BB 9000 >> BB 9700 >> Nexus One >> Droid X >> Thunderbolt
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.1 RC 1.2

So no one knows, or no one cares? LOL
    Nokia 6xxx >> Motorola i710 >> Motorola Razr >> BB 9000 >> BB 9700 >> Nexus One >> Droid X >> Thunderbolt
    Banned

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Gingerbread

Welcome to AC

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S
    Last edited by og_president; 04-13-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

You should be redirected to a page to sign up for that service. It shouldn't work without the appropriate plan.

Make sure you have WiFi off. The first time I tested this it was working, but discuvered it was using my home WiFi connection and not 3G. As soon as I turned WiFi off, I was redirected to a page to sign up for service. No damage done.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.1 RC 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by og_president View Post
    Welcome to AC

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S
    This is abuse of data how?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.1 RC 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    You should be redirected to a page to sign up for that service. It shouldn't work without the appropriate plan.

Make sure you have WiFi off. The first time I tested this it was working, but discuvered it was using my home WiFi connection and not 3G. As soon as I turned WiFi off, I was redirected to a page to sign up for service. No damage done.
    Thanks for the info, I will give it a try.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kentusmc View Post
    Thanks for the info, I will give it a try.
    If it does work, call VZW customer service and fess up that you tried it, and ask why it worked without a plan.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.1 RC 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    If it does work, call VZW customer service and fess up that you tried it, and ask why it worked without a plan.
    you make it sound like you work for VZW lol

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts

My account requires a 4 digit security code before allowing any changes to my plan. Activating the 3g hotspot does not direct me to Verizon, nor does it require my security code. As far as I'm concerned, it's free tethering. The security code is their requirement, not mine.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.1 RC 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    My account requires a 4 digit security code before allowing any changes to my plan. Activating the 3g hotspot does not direct me to Verizon, nor does it require my security code. As far as I'm concerned, it's free tethering. The security code is their requirement, not mine.
    Very nice!

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I was wondering also if VZW was going to bill. Mine is working with no redirect on the Gingerbread release

Some people saw this with the first GB leak and it was reported over at droid-life. One of the comments say that they called Verizon and they said it was part of the same promo for the thunderbolt until May 20th. I don't trust anything that comes from the mouth of customer support but if it works then use it.