1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Default GB over stock GB?

Does anyone know if running the stock (not rooted) leaked OTA Gingerbread will prohibit the official OTA whenever it is pushed by Moto?

Do we have to go back to 2.3.340 to get the official GB OTA from Moto whenever it's pushed?
    Always learning ...

I've been following the Gingerbread thread on Motorola's Droid X support forum to see if there's any new info for a little while now. Today, Matt, the forum manager had this to say in response to someone asking whether or not he'd be able to get the OTA if he had installed the leak:

"But it does give me an opportunity to say that you are right about the actual update. If you're not on the expected software, you won't get it. So this isn't a very good idea."

Going by that, I'd say you definitely would have to SBF back.

Global Posts
    579 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS!

What would be the point to SBF back to get un update we already have?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Because it's likely the actual GB download will be an improved version over what was leaked.

BTW - I saw that comment by Matt. It appears that he is referring to being on stock Froyo to get the official OTA update when it comes. But his response was to someone asking about installing a later version of GB - offered by a "private source" - than the one that was leaked. Thus, some confusion as to his meaning.
    Always learning ...

Since when the update is pushed to a device it verified version information and software before is allows the update to install I would say that since the last official build was 2.2.1 (2.3.340) and this is what the update will be looking for, you will have to SBF back to official build to install the update when it hits..
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Thanks. Sounds perfectly logical. Meanwhile, I sure am liking GB. No major problems with it so far, too, which makes it very, VERY nice.
    Always learning ...

Have we received information as to when the OTA update might be released on these devices? Also I should still be able to get this update even though Im running Clockwork bootloader correct?

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Along similar lines, what about ROMs? Running Apex 1.4.1, which is based on 2.2.1 (2.3.340). Do I need to SBF before pulling the OTA (if and) when it is available? If I am "running the expected software" when I pull the OTA, will theat fry my chances of getting it after I SBF?

Sorry for the run of questions...
    Dumb phone -> BB8830WE -> BB Curve 8330 -> Incredible -> DROID X ----->Galaxy S3
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

Dates for the X's OTA are running May 10-14, all speculation, of course. However, on another thread, it looks like the Nexus is getting GB OTA as I write this. So things are happening...
    Always learning ...

It won't be long after the official update gets pushed OTA that someone will have the update.zip file up on a site to pull from a computer to your phone anyway, (similar to the way you got the leak on your phone,) so I don't know if SBFing back would be necessary.

it's possible that you still will have to, but these modders are getting dang good at manipulating the android system.
    Last edited by aim4squirrels; 05-06-2011 at 07:53 PM.
    MacGyver Wannabe

PS3Droid has indicated that you if are on stock non-rooted Gingerbread version 595, you will receive the update OTA.