How about some Official OTA gingerbread vzw? DANG!

deletion

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the Nexus is getting GB 2.3.4 OTA as I write this. So, ours can't be far away (I hope).

Does anyone remember the version number of the leaked"official" OTA that had to be downloaded manually several weeks ago? Today, my X has version 2.3.3 and System 4.5.588. It was acting up this morning, needed battery pull. Was wondering if this was the latest GB (maybe OTA dl overnight? Or am I just being overly optimistic).

The updates that the nexus Gerard have nothing to do with when we will get ours. All nexus devices get their updates straight from Google while Motorola has to build their version and send it to Verizon to see if Verizon wants any changes. If Verizon wants more changes they get more changes and then when they like the build they will release it OTA.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Only a handful of non-Nexus devices have officially received 3 major Android OS updates.

The OG Droid went from 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.2. The Evo will presumably go from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3.

Considering that the current stable of VZW Droids (X, Droid 2, D2G, D INC, and maybe Droid Pro) should all get Gingerbread, I'd say that puts VZW way ahead of everyone else as far as updates are concerned. VZW has also done more to update their Galaxy Tab than the other domestic carriers have.

Considering the nature of Android OS updates, I think we are all in all pretty lucky to be on VZW. Basically, if you buy a device at or shortly after its launch on Big Red, you are basically assured of about a year of pretty solid updates to your device.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Considering the nature of Android OS updates, I think we are all in all pretty lucky to be on VZW. Basically, if you buy a device at or shortly after its launch on Big Red, you are basically assured of about a year of pretty solid updates to your device.

That's understandable, I understand that a device has about a six month life, and I understand a person is lucky to get updates in that time span. And I think most folks have become excited and curiousity has become intensified by the hype and the articles and literature about this update. People like things that are new, and like anything that is yet to be released, the longer it takes to release, the more impatient people become, I know that's the way I feel.

I am happy with this phone but from day one I care not for blur on this phone, and from what I read, blur has been updated in gingerbread, and im ready to see it in the flesh. And there is several things im sure, don't come to mind right now, that has been improved from froyo to gingerbread. If a car maker releases to the press, that they have been working with a company and came out with an upgrade where a person can get 100 mpg from a certain car they make but they keep holding back on releasing it, those folks are gonna get impatient from the waiting.

I came from a crapberry, and to be on an android phone has been a wonderful experience. I was lead to believe that I was going to have the same experience with the Blackberry Storm I bought, and at the time didn't know any better, and once getting this phone, it's been great, im getting 50 mpg from this phone but im ready to get that 100 mpg, show me what more this baby will do, blow my mind.

Come on Vzw and pull your finger out of your butt.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Im growing impatient waiting for a official update for the X, I have no understanding of the world of rooting my phone, so I beware of the world all together, so how about some damn official update for this phone. Once they teased (vzw I think) and then yanked it away.

Verizon hasn't teased anything. Be patient. It'll come.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The April update, supposedly "official" and OTA but actually a leak, was version 2.3.3, system 4.5.588. I've had it since then and have been very impressed. I'm hoping to get the genuine OTA whenever it comes, but may have to go back to 2.2.1 (froyo with Dec. update) to get it. Will wait to see what happens.

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The April update, supposedly "official" and OTA but actually a leak, was version 2.3.3, system 4.5.588. I've had it since then and have been very impressed. I'm hoping to get the genuine OTA whenever it comes, but may have to go back to 2.2.1 (froyo with Dec. update) to get it. Will wait to see what happens.

This was not update, just a leak. Not official.

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

This was not update despite what a couple of people claimed. Not official.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok my bad, I thought I read on this site, where vzw was just starting to release the update but it was not ota, it had to be loaded on your phone manually. It was the first of april I read that. Confused here.

Your memory is right. You DID read that in April. The initial reaction was just as you remember ... people thought it was "official." But, as I said in my post above (and others have also emphasized), it was actually a leak - available only for a short time and one that had to be manually installed. The real "official" GB OTA is to be a later, more improved version when it is released.

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you suppose those "leaks" are intentional, turning those who install them into beta testers while the programmers look at the forums to note bugs and flaws?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol