How about some Official OTA gingerbread vzw? DANG!

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Im growing impatient waiting for a official update for the X, I have no understanding of the world of rooting my phone, so I beware of the world all together, so how about some damn official update for this phone. Once they teased (vzw I think) and then yanked it away.

I like this phone, wanna keep it for a few years, I see no need in buying another phone, and all of what I've read about gingerbread, im ready to see it.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Three leaked builds....it is close.....nice to have an old device getting good support. Yay Motorola/VZW. May 13?

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
As someone who has been with the Droid X since shortly after launch, I can assure you that is just what VZW & Motorola do. Our OTA updates to 2.2 & 2.2.1 both took a while after "leaks" came out too.

Actually, if "Official" Gingerbread does come out soon, it will be a relatively quick release since we saw the first leak....quicker than Froyo was after it's leak, if memory serves.

Don't sweat it though, it's coming.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
VZ is ALWAYS slow with updates. I've had my Dx since launch, and I had my bb tour from about launch too. Same does for the vz iPhone. It's just a fact of life... The sun rises, it sets, and Verizon is behind on updates.

Sent via Tapatalk

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
VZ is ALWAYS slow with updates. I've had my Dx since launch, and I had my bb tour from about launch too. Same does for the vz iPhone. It's just a fact of life... The sun rises, it sets, and Verizon is behind on updates.

It's going to be HILARIOUS if we get our 2.3 before the EVO does, though. :D

I remember when they got 2.2 first, a lot were saying how great Sprint/HTC were with updates & horrible VZW/Motorola were.

All it means is they got that ONE update first, not that they will EVERY one.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
There are some rumors that GB will be pushed to the X beginning around May 10. Nothing official about this date, though. Just yak-yak in various forums at this point. But the date keeps showing up... and then disappearing from discussions.

I have to mention here that Moto gets, IMO, a bad rap for being "slow" on updating OS's. If you consider the X has been in the hands of the public for 10 months and is about to receive its THIRD major operating system update ... I think they are doing exceptionally well! Look at the number of Android-based phones that are relatively new, yet still on 2.1.or 2.2.

BTW - I attempted to count up the number of Android-based phones now on the market -- no less than 130 (that I could identify) on various carriers. Mind boggling!

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
There are some rumors that GB will be pushed to the X beginning around May 10. Nothing official about this date, though. Just yak-yak in various forums at this point. But the date keeps showing up... and then disappearing from discussions.

I can't see the 10th being a serious date since that is a Tuesday & VZW updates tend to be Fridays. I hope I am wrong though.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I can't see the 10th being a serious date since that is a Tuesday & VZW updates tend to be Fridays. I hope I am wrong though.

Actually from what I have seen it has been said to be the 14th but I so.t hold my breath for either date. They have shown that they release when they release it.... Look at the. ew Samsung and Bionic dates... There is no such thing as a sure thing.

Reactions: green mtns rider

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just like blackberries, they have TONS of leaks and they all have improvements but they still do not make it official. Some leaks were way better then the official.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Same here....

There already IS a 1 click root method for Gingerbread. See one of my posts above. I haven't used it personally because I am waiting for the OTA, but people are saying that it works just as good, if not better than, as z4root did on Froyo.

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Actually, if "Official" Gingerbread does come out soon, it will be a relatively quick release since we saw the first leak....quicker than Froyo was after it's leak, if memory
That's how I feel too. It was probably due to feeling like it really should have been 2.2 at launch, and then it just seemed to take FOREVER (esp. when the droid2 came out and wr still had no love).
This wait just doesn't seem as agonizing.
But I'll definitely take it when it's out!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I bet what they may do, is drop the official update after the propsed sale of the X2 next week, that way they can get some sales in on the new phone. because i'm sure with an official release of GB people may hold off on getting the DX2 or other devices.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the Nexus is getting GB 2.3.4 OTA as I write this. So, ours can't be far away (I hope).

Does anyone remember the version number of the leaked"official" OTA that had to be downloaded manually several weeks ago? Today, my X has version 2.3.3 and System 4.5.588. It was acting up this morning, needed battery pull. Was wondering if this was the latest GB (maybe OTA dl overnight? Or am I just being overly optimistic).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci