Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How about some Official OTA gingerbread vzw? DANG!

Im growing impatient waiting for a official update for the X, I have no understanding of the world of rooting my phone, so I beware of the world all together, so how about some damn official update for this phone. Once they teased (vzw I think) and then yanked it away.

I like this phone, wanna keep it for a few years, I see no need in buying another phone, and all of what I've read about gingerbread, im ready to see it.
    Look Ma, I gots me a smart phone

My Time Line->Samsung 540->LG VX8300->LG EnV Orange->Storm 1->Droid X->Droid Razr Maxx
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Three leaked builds....it is close.....nice to have an old device getting good support. Yay Motorola/VZW. May 13?

I just hope for an easy one click root after the update is out.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Rooted

Fast Speed 1Gbps Fiber optic Downloads. PM For more info
    PM for Passwords and Instructions (Included the Device you need help with)
    S4 Root/Restore Files - www.247xtreme.com/S4
    S3 Root/Restore Files - www.247xtreme.com/S3

Home Internet

4G LTE

As someone who has been with the Droid X since shortly after launch, I can assure you that is just what VZW & Motorola do. Our OTA updates to 2.2 & 2.2.1 both took a while after "leaks" came out too.

Actually, if "Official" Gingerbread does come out soon, it will be a relatively quick release since we saw the first leak....quicker than Froyo was after it's leak, if memory serves.

Don't sweat it though, it's coming.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble

-----------------------------------------
    Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)
    Droid Incredible (CM 7.2.0 RC1)
    Nook Color w/ 8GB N2A card

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSorrow View Post
    Do you mean like this one that has already been working on all of the leaks so far?

[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

VZ is ALWAYS slow with updates. I've had my Dx since launch, and I had my bb tour from about launch too. Same does for the vz iPhone. It's just a fact of life... The sun rises, it sets, and Verizon is behind on updates.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10

Quote Originally Posted by cae2685 View Post
    VZ is ALWAYS slow with updates. I've had my Dx since launch, and I had my bb tour from about launch too. Same does for the vz iPhone. It's just a fact of life... The sun rises, it sets, and Verizon is behind on updates.
    It's going to be HILARIOUS if we get our 2.3 before the EVO does, though.

I remember when they got 2.2 first, a lot were saying how great Sprint/HTC were with updates & horrible VZW/Motorola were.

All it means is they got that ONE update first, not that they will EVERY one.

Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

There are some rumors that GB will be pushed to the X beginning around May 10. Nothing official about this date, though. Just yak-yak in various forums at this point. But the date keeps showing up... and then disappearing from discussions.

I have to mention here that Moto gets, IMO, a bad rap for being "slow" on updating OS's. If you consider the X has been in the hands of the public for 10 months and is about to receive its THIRD major operating system update ... I think they are doing exceptionally well! Look at the number of Android-based phones that are relatively new, yet still on 2.1.or 2.2.

BTW - I attempted to count up the number of Android-based phones now on the market -- no less than 130 (that I could identify) on various carriers. Mind boggling!
    Always learning ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    There are some rumors that GB will be pushed to the X beginning around May 10. Nothing official about this date, though. Just yak-yak in various forums at this point. But the date keeps showing up... and then disappearing from discussions.
    I can't see the 10th being a serious date since that is a Tuesday & VZW updates tend to be Fridays. I hope I am wrong though.

Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    I can't see the 10th being a serious date since that is a Tuesday & VZW updates tend to be Fridays. I hope I am wrong though.
    Actually from what I have seen it has been said to be the 14th but I so.t hold my breath for either date. They have shown that they release when they release it.... Look at the. ew Samsung and Bionic dates... There is no such thing as a sure thing.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
    Thanked by:

Just like blackberries, they have TONS of leaks and they all have improvements but they still do not make it official. Some leaks were way better then the official.
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSorrow View Post

Same here....

Quote Originally Posted by kf6kmx View Post
    Same here....
    There already IS a 1 click root method for Gingerbread. See one of my posts above. I haven't used it personally because I am waiting for the OTA, but people are saying that it works just as good, if not better than, as z4root did on Froyo.

Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Actually, if "Official" Gingerbread does come out soon, it will be a relatively quick release since we saw the first leak....quicker than Froyo was after it's leak, if memory
    That's how I feel too. It was probably due to feeling like it really should have been 2.2 at launch, and then it just seemed to take FOREVER (esp. when the droid2 came out and wr still had no love).
    This wait just doesn't seem as agonizing.
    But I'll definitely take it when it's out!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

I bet what they may do, is drop the official update after the propsed sale of the X2 next week, that way they can get some sales in on the new phone. because i'm sure with an official release of GB people may hold off on getting the DX2 or other devices.
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

Looks like the Nexus is getting GB 2.3.4 OTA as I write this. So, ours can't be far away (I hope).

Does anyone remember the version number of the leaked"official" OTA that had to be downloaded manually several weeks ago? Today, my X has version 2.3.3 and System 4.5.588. It was acting up this morning, needed battery pull. Was wondering if this was the latest GB (maybe OTA dl overnight? Or am I just being overly optimistic).
    Always learning ...

I thought the most recent leak was .591

Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)

There is a .594 coming out soon.
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

According to another forum, the Nexus is getting 2.3.4, but I don't know the system ID.
    Always learning ...
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

Also seeing GB for the X now May 12-13 ... we'll see how that goes.
    Always learning ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    Looks like the Nexus is getting GB 2.3.4 OTA as I write this. So, ours can't be far away (I hope).

Does anyone remember the version number of the leaked"official" OTA that had to be downloaded manually several weeks ago? Today, my X has version 2.3.3 and System 4.5.588. It was acting up this morning, needed battery pull. Was wondering if this was the latest GB (maybe OTA dl overnight? Or am I just being overly optimistic).
    The updates that the nexus Gerard have nothing to do with when we will get ours. All nexus devices get their updates straight from Google while Motorola has to build their version and send it to Verizon to see if Verizon wants any changes. If Verizon wants more changes they get more changes and then when they like the build they will release it OTA.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Smile

When, when pigs fly...

My Time Line->Samsung 540->LG VX8300->LG EnV Orange->Storm 1->Droid X->Droid Razr Maxx

I thought the most recent leak was .591
    The latest is 4.5.591 and it appears to be more stable than 4.5.588, not saying it was bad but the latest build seem to a bit more refined on system reaction time.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...

Global Posts
    598 Global Posts

Only a handful of non-Nexus devices have officially received 3 major Android OS updates.

The OG Droid went from 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.2. The Evo will presumably go from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3.

Considering that the current stable of VZW Droids (X, Droid 2, D2G, D INC, and maybe Droid Pro) should all get Gingerbread, I'd say that puts VZW way ahead of everyone else as far as updates are concerned. VZW has also done more to update their Galaxy Tab than the other domestic carriers have.

Considering the nature of Android OS updates, I think we are all in all pretty lucky to be on VZW. Basically, if you buy a device at or shortly after its launch on Big Red, you are basically assured of about a year of pretty solid updates to your device.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

Considering the nature of Android OS updates, I think we are all in all pretty lucky to be on VZW. Basically, if you buy a device at or shortly after its launch on Big Red, you are basically assured of about a year of pretty solid updates to your device.
    That's understandable, I understand that a device has about a six month life, and I understand a person is lucky to get updates in that time span. And I think most folks have become excited and curiousity has become intensified by the hype and the articles and literature about this update. People like things that are new, and like anything that is yet to be released, the longer it takes to release, the more impatient people become, I know that's the way I feel.

I am happy with this phone but from day one I care not for blur on this phone, and from what I read, blur has been updated in gingerbread, and im ready to see it in the flesh. And there is several things im sure, don't come to mind right now, that has been improved from froyo to gingerbread. If a car maker releases to the press, that they have been working with a company and came out with an upgrade where a person can get 100 mpg from a certain car they make but they keep holding back on releasing it, those folks are gonna get impatient from the waiting.

I came from a crapberry, and to be on an android phone has been a wonderful experience. I was lead to believe that I was going to have the same experience with the Blackberry Storm I bought, and at the time didn't know any better, and once getting this phone, it's been great, im getting 50 mpg from this phone but im ready to get that 100 mpg, show me what more this baby will do, blow my mind.

Come on Vzw and pull your finger out of your ****.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast