Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Apps won't download from Market. Tried nearly everything, any ideas?

    so i bought a thunderbolt and swapped over, then all of a sudden i couldn't install any of the apps from the market when my phone was trying to restore itself. i went back to the droid x and surprise it's still ongoing so there is something deeper here than just the phone. i simply get a "failed to download" message. here's what i've tried:

    called verizon
    reset my gmail password
    deleted/added a new credit card on google checkout
    cleared market cache
    cleared the download manager, browser data, etc.
    toggled my gtalk login
    did a phone wipe (on the tbolt) and tried again
    backed down to the previous market version

    none of the above has resolved the issue and i really just can't figure it out short of opening a new account and starting over (if that even works).

    any ideas?

    thanks!!
  2. #2  

    Default

    Did you only clear the Market cache? Try clearing the Market data too. That always works for me when I have problems downloading from the Market.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble

    -----------------------------------------
    Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)
    Droid Incredible (CM 7.2.0 RC1)
    Nook Color w/ 8GB N2A card
    -----------------------------------------
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Did you only clear the Market cache? Try clearing the Market data too. That always works for me when I have problems downloading from the Market.
    i cleared the data, which cleared the cache. tried that multiple times too with multiple reboots. its definitely not whats holding me up. thanks though!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    so i had a few emails back and forth with google and ultimately this is what worked for me. so i'm off to try out my new thunderbolt and i'll let you guys know how it is! cheers!

    1) From Home screen: Press Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > (then clear the following)
    - Google Services Framework > Clear data
    - Market > Clear cache > Clear data > and Force stop
    - Google Talk > Clear Data
    2) Uninstall your Market updates by visiting Settings > Applications > Market > Uninstall Updates.
    3) Reboot phone and wait 10 minutes and the re-download.
    4) Open the Talk app > sign out > then re-open it and sign in.
    5) Open Market and accept agreement.
    6) Search or browse for apps and install.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Boy that is wild that you figured to do all that.... Out of curiosity did you try wiping sd card because sometime history files stored on card causes issues and also did you try pushing apps directly from Market pc version?

    One more thing you may want yo invest into Titanium Backup if rooted or MyBackup if you are running stock. This way you can restore apps and Market usually notes apps installed on new device and work fine.

    Wish you luck...

    Astro file explorer can work to backup appear also..
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  6. #6  

    Default

    I once upon a time had the same problem... if this doesn't work I don't know what will... (1) plug the phone into a computer and set to USB mass storage device, (2) go into the android_secure folder, (3) delete the 'smdl2tmp1.asec' file... all done! Worked for me when the error said unknown error 18... hope this helps anyone who has this kind of error! :-)
    Last edited by supahmatt; 05-07-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: realized that original poster got it fixed already
  7. #7  

    Default

    I had the same problem a few weeks ago and nothing would fix it. It turned out there was a Market issue. It was resolved in a day or two.
  8. #8  
    cae2685's Avatar

    Posts
    528 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I've had this issue for about a week, since I changed my gApps password. Everything else works fine but the Market refuses to acknowledge my new password. Hopefully this works!

    It didn't. Grr.
    Last edited by cae2685; 05-07-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Boy that is wild that you figured to do all that.... Out of curiosity did you try wiping sd card because sometime history files stored on card causes issues and also did you try pushing apps directly from Market pc version?

    One more thing you may want yo invest into Titanium Backup if rooted or MyBackup if you are running stock. This way you can restore apps and Market usually notes apps installed on new device and work fine.

    Wish you luck...

    Astro file explorer can work to backup appear also..
    i really can't take credit, i had figured out to do some cache and data clearing but i never would have thought to go into the google framework because i didn't know what it was for, that was on direction of google tech support.

    i was sure the problem wasn't with the SD card because this happened on two separate phones with two separate SD cards (and the thunderbolt was brand new out of the box as i said).

    i do have mybackup pro and titanium backup on my droid x, although on the Tbolt it wouldn't matter because i couldn't even download my backup pro to access the backup files lol. luckily it was resolved though.

    i'm fairly happy with the tbolt, we'll see how it goes.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RemmyZero View Post
    i really can't take credit, i had figured out to do some cache and data clearing but i never would have thought to go into the google framework because i didn't know what it was for, that was on direction of google tech support.

    i was sure the problem wasn't with the SD card because this happened on two separate phones with two separate SD cards (and the thunderbolt was brand new out of the box as i said).

    i do have mybackup pro and titanium backup on my droid x, although on the Tbolt it wouldn't matter because i couldn't even download my backup pro to access the backup files lol. luckily it was resolved though.

    i'm fairly happy with the tbolt, we'll see how it goes.
    Just use Astro File Explorer to backup MyBackup or Titanium apk to SD Card so you car simply side load them when needed, I have done this without issues.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Just use Astro File Explorer to backup MyBackup or Titanium apk to SD Card so you car simply side load them when needed, I have done this without issues.
    mmm good call, noted for future use. thanks!

    now that gb is supposedly dropping on the X this week i may return my tbolt and hold out for a new dual core phone...we'll see....
  12. #12  

    Default

    I'm having the same problem except it will let me install some apps and some others it says failed download then when I click on it it says couldn't install on USB storage or SD card..does anybody know why and how I can fix it..the apps I need for installing a rom it wont let me download and a theme I want for go launcher that it let me download a bunch of before now it wont let me install the new ones please help
  13. #13  

    Default

    Had the same problem earlier. You have to reformat the SD card. Make sure yiu transfer all the files to your computer or you will lose them. Then you need to do a factory reset. The problem is caused because of a corrupt file. Its no fun, trust me.

    If you need assistance just Google reformatting.g the SD card for the Droid x and look for the Motorola website. That's what I did. (I honestly can't remember the steps)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    you might be able to format the SD card from the phone menu without wiping, try that first. i know you can on the Tbolt.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supahmatt View Post
    I once upon a time had the same problem... if this doesn't work I don't know what will... (1) plug the phone into a computer and set to USB mass storage device, (2) go into the android_secure folder, (3) delete the 'smdl2tmp1.asec' file... all done! Worked for me when the error said unknown error 18... hope this helps anyone who has this kind of error! :-)
    holy crap man. I've been having this problem for 6 months with no solution. that totally worked! i also had a really slow icon / screen refresh and that was also fixed by deleting the file. thank you so much!!!!!
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Apps won't download from Market. Tried nearly everything, any ideas?

    Thanks a bunch man, I had the same problem he had and it fixed mine. I can finally download apps again. Cheers mate.

Posting Permissions