8 Conffesions of a Former Verizon Emp.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
? Never get a 2-year contract. "The only benefit to a 2 yr contract is a $50 savings on your phone. Its not worth it. Take the $50 and get a 1 year then you can upgrade to a new phone every 10 months."

? Verizon reps get tons of money from new lines and certain accessories and text packages, take advantage of this. They won't let a new customer walk out the door. "Play hardball, they will do anything to get the new lines. VZW makes $ off the service, not the phones. Tell them you don't want to mail in the rebate. There does come a point of diminishing returns. For example, if you walked in and wanted a $39 plan and a free Treo 700, not gonna happen. But I have given away almost every non-PDA phone in the store for the right deal. Also tell them you will buy the accessories, and text package. Trust me here, these are 2 of the biggest metrics for the reps. Return the accessories the next day and call customer care to cancel your text package."

? Mention the lost or stolen program to get 25% off a new phone, even if you're under contract. Who's to say you didn't lose it?

? If you're on a rate plan of $59.99 or higher, you can get "a new phone (and new contract) for the discounted price after 12 months."

? Insurance is a rip-off. It costs too much and has a $50 deductible.

? Tell them you'll sign up for the Unlimited Data Plan with your Treo. "Speaking of Treos, often they offer an extra $100 off if you get the Unlimited data plan. Get it.. Save $100 and cancel it the next day if you don't want it. The leverage here is amazing also because that high end data package counts as a new activation in a roundabout way for the rep. None of the data packages are contractual. I use to tell the customers this just to save them $."

? Reps don't get as much money if you're still in a contract. If you upgrade on the phone with Verizon, the store reps won't be as motivated to help you.

? Ask for a loyalty credit on the phone before going to the store. "One way to work the system if you have New Every 2 and are out of contract is to call customer care, have them put you back into contract, but ask for a loyalty credit (up to $60 off your next months bill), then go into the retail store and use your New Every 2. The two credits can't be combined and that is the only way to get both. I've never seen this not work, although they could technically say that you already got a credit, but the system are not that informative and I have never seen that happen. Just make sure you know the contract rules for VZW in your state, and make sure you go to the store in time to cancel the new contract in case you cant use the NE2."

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Seems a bit dated, but interesting nonetheless. I've known the insurance is a rip-off, but it's nice to see an employee tell it like it is.

Last edited:

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Interesting - even if it is from 2007...the magic of Google. ;)

Never get a 2-year contract. "The only benefit to a 2 yr contract is a $50 savings on your phone. Its not worth it. Take the $50 and get a 1 year then you can upgrade to a new phone every 10 months."

Verizon reps get tons of money from new lines and certain accessories and text packages, take advantage of this. They won't let a new customer walk out the door. "Play hardball, they will do anything to get the new lines. VZW makes $ off the service, not the phones. Tell them you don't want to mail in the rebate. There does come a point of diminishing returns. For example, if you walked in and wanted a $39 plan and a free Treo 700, not gonna happen. But I have given away almost every non-PDA phone in the store for the right deal. Also tell them you will buy the accessories, and text package. Trust me here, these are 2 of the biggest metrics for the reps. Return the accessories the next day and call customer care to cancel your text package."

Mention the lost or stolen program to get 25% off a new phone, even if you're under contract. Who's to say you didn't lose it?

If you're on a rate plan of $59.99 or higher, you can get "a new phone (and new contract) for the discounted price after 12 months."

• Insurance is a rip-off. It costs too much and has a $50 deductible.

Tell them you'll sign up for the Unlimited Data Plan with your Treo. "Speaking of Treos, often they offer an extra $100 off if you get the Unlimited data plan. Get it.. Save $100 and cancel it the next day if you don't want it. The leverage here is amazing also because that high end data package counts as a new activation in a roundabout way for the rep. None of the data packages are contractual. I use to tell the customers this just to save them $."

Reps don't get as much money if you're still in a contract. If you upgrade on the phone with Verizon, the store reps won't be as motivated to help you.

Ask for a loyalty credit on the phone before going to the store. "One way to work the system if you have New Every 2 and are out of contract is to call customer care, have them put you back into contract, but ask for a loyalty credit (up to $60 off your next months bill), then go into the retail store and use your New Every 2. The two credits can't be combined and that is the only way to get both. I've never seen this not work, although they could technically say that you already got a credit, but the system are not that informative and I have never seen that happen. Just make sure you know the contract rules for VZW in your state, and make sure you go to the store in time to cancel the new contract in case you cant use the NE2."

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
and most of this isn't even around any more. honestly probably just a waste of a thread. and I believe the insurance is worth it. I know its saved my azz on a few phones

Last edited:

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Insurance is not a rip off...

Let's use $8 a month for the insurance (24 months) + $100 deductible = $292

$550 (full retail) - $292 = $258 (could add $96 to $184 to this number because the $258 assumes you already paid the full 24 months for insurance)

$400 (retail after 1 year) - $292 = $108 (could add up to $96 to this number because the $258 assumes you already paid the full 24 months for insurance)

Reactions: Chrisy

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Insurance is not a rip off...

Let's use $8 a month for the insurance (24 months) + $100 deductible = $292

$550 (full retail) - $292 = $258 (could add $96 to $184 to this number because the $258 assumes you already paid the full 24 months for insurance)

$400 (retail after 1 year) - $292 = $108 (could add up to $96 to this number because the $258 assumes you already paid the full 24 months for insurance)

That also assumes you break or lose your phone regularly. The wife and I have carried a cell phone for 18 years now. Off and on, for work reasons, I've carried 2 phones on occasion. Some of the phones 18 years ago were pretty expensive to replace. My first plan was $50/month for 30 minutes and no such thing as text messaging. Any how, in the past 18 years, neither one of us has broken or lost a cell phone. I'll just consider one phone each. Lets see...$8/month times 18 years times 2 phones = $3456

Even if we had both lost our Droid X's and each lost a BlackBerry (that's a total of 4 phones), we'd still be ahead WITHOUT the insurance. So yeah, the insurance is a RIP OFF!

Last edited:
Reactions: WAldenIV

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
That also assumes you break or lose your phone regularly. The wife and I have carried a cell phone for 18 years now. Off and on, for work reasons, I've carried 2 phones on occasion. Some of the phones 18 years ago were pretty expensive to replace. My first plan was $50/month for 30 minutes and no such thing as text messaging. Any how, in the past 18 years, neither one of us has broken or lost a cell phone. I'll just consider one phone each. Lets see...$8/month times 18 years times 2 phones = $3456

Even if we had both lost our Droid X's and each lost a BlackBerry (that's a total of 4 phones), we'd still be ahead WITHOUT the insurance. So yeah, the insurance is a RIP OFF!

So.... is insurance on your car (above the min required) or house a rip off too? That's the argument you just made.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So.... is insurance on your car (above the min required) or house a rip off too? That's the argument you just made.

Yes. It is if you're "over insured". However, this isn't the same argument as you claim. We're talking about a (relatively) inexpensive phone vs. an expensive home/auto and vastly different types of coverage.

First, cars and homes are generally financed and insurance is required by the lien holders. So unless you pay for your home/car in full you have to pay for insurance. Some homeowner's associations require HO insurance. Mine does.

Second, the home is not a disposable good (you don't generally buy a new one every 2 years). Neither is the car. The phone is a disposable good.

Third, let's do some math to see how much we've paid for insurance coverage:
Let's take $8/month on our $600 phone. At the end, we've paid $192 in premiums. That's 32% of the original cost. Two years later, you can get that $600 phone for less than $200 on eBay. The X has been out LESS than a year and I have seen them go for as low as $125. Sure it's used, but what are you getting from the insurance companies.

For my car, I paid $30,000. I pay $90/month for full coverage insurance (which is a little high). That's only $5400 in premiums at the 5 year mark (or 18% of the original value). If I total it, I get replacement cost minus deductible (approx $10,000). My $90/month covers more than just loss or damage to my car. It also covers injury/damage to other people and their vehicles and protects me from lawsuits if I'm involved in an accident where someone else is injured. I'm paying 11.25 times more for my auto insurance yet it covers a product worth 50 times more than my cell phone when both are new. PLUS the additional coverage that Auto insurance provides. I wouldn't carry full coverage on my 10 year old "beater".

For my home, I paid $250,000. My insurance is $400/year. If it were financed for 30 years, my total premiums would be $12,000 or roughly 4.8% of the originally paid price (awesome discounts from insurance company makes up for the auto rates). Unlike my cell phone, my home value has increased over the past 5 years.
Here, my monthly insurance is only about 4 times higher per month than cell insurance, but the protected product is 416 times more expensive when new (not counting the cost of the contents of my home that are also covered by my HO insurance. With $150K contents, that makes it 666 times more expensive). I won't go into the additional benefits of Homeowner's insurance vs. cell phone insurance.

Breakdown costs per month:
Cell Phone: 1.33% new replacement cost per month
Auto: 0.3% new replacement cost per month
Home: 0.013% new replacement cost (0.0083% including contents)

To put it another way, consider monthly auto insurance premiums of $400/month or HO premiums of $3250-$5200 (contents). (1.3% replacement cost)

All insurance is a GAMBLE. Home/Auto are required when financed, but still a bet between you and the insurance company. If you're financing a cell phone, maybe you need a cheaper model. If you consider the risk associated with each, then yeah, cell phone insurance is a bad bet. HOWEVER, if you lose/break your phone at least once per year, then sure, it's worth it. The cell insurance company is betting you are not able to take care of your phone, that's why the premiums are so high compared to the cost of the product you're covering.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrl022 and WAldenIV

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
No one is forced into having any sort of insruance on their phone. If you know time has shown you that you have never lost, broken or had your phone stolen, then why pay insurance and argue about it. I personally think it's great cause it saved my experimenting behind many times. (leaked roms). Lose it, claim it. I did two last year, VZW didn't want to cover my damaged phone, said it was my fault, told me i had to purchase a new one, but my insurance gave me a brand spanking new one, not certified like new in the case of VZW, and it still ended up costing less than a new two year activation.

Thanks for pointing out why premiums are so high.:)
And the certified like new doesn't cost me $8/month if the phone stops working. If you read the brochure from Asurion, you're not guaranteed a NEW replacement. Also, I would say that you're committing insurance fraud since in the coverage it clearly states that the insurance "does not apply to intentional acts". Bricking it flashing ROMs are an intentional act. It would also fall under the exclusion of "programming the covered property" voiding the insurance. It also does not cover "defects/damage from alteration or modification of any kind"

There's three reasons why your bricking the phone shouldn't be covered by insurance. It's equivalent to me setting my car/house on fire to get a new one.

Insurance fraud=higher premiums.

Last edited:

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Do you still remember what your first phone was? And the specs? 18yrs ago...1993 my first year of high school. I'll say it was a Motorola or Nokia

I can't remember for sure, but I think it was a Moto phone. I've had several Moto phones. I don't remember the specs, but it had an extendable antenna that if you didn't pull it out, your call would drop. I was living in Colorado Springs at the time and EVERY time you went down between two hills, you would drop your call. Driving between Colorado Springs and Houston, there was only limited coverage. No signal between ColoSprgs and Pueblo. Nothing between Pueblo and Amarillo. Nothing between Amarillo and Wichita Falls. Nothing between WF and DFW. Nothing between DFW and Houston. And when I used it outside of Colorado, I think that my roaming costs in Texas were about $1.99/minute (and depending on the city, you had to enter a credit card number before making your call). We've come a LONG way from those days.

If I remember right, after that I had an Ericsson SH888 followed by a string of Nokias, HTCs, Motos, RIMs....up to my X. And by far, the X is the best so far!

dragon718

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Any insurance is gonna be a rip off to you if you dont regularly break or lose your phone. Doesn't mean it is a complete rip off, cause there are people who do regularly break or lose there phone and i'm pretty sure they would rather pay the deductible than buying another phone at full retail, or trying to figure out how to get another phone to replace it.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Any insurance is gonna be a rip off to you if you dont regularly break or lose your phone. Doesn't mean it is a complete rip off, cause there are people who do regularly break or lose there phone and i'm pretty sure they would rather pay the deductible than buying another phone at full retail, or trying to figure out how to get another phone to replace it.

That's a good reason to convert the cell phone insurance to something similar to auto insurance. If you're a reckless driver and you speed/have accidents, you pay more for auto insurance. If you lose/break your 2 phones per year, you pay more for cell insurance. I might consider buying it if it was around $1/month considering my history. But for $8/month? That's a rip off, but it has to be that high due to the fraudulent claims that are made. Similarly home/auto insurance is higher than necessary due to fraudulent claims.

jak112460

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Ultraman

? Never get a 2-year contract. "The only benefit to a 2 yr contract is a $50 savings on your phone. Its not worth it. Take the $50 and get a 1 year then you can upgrade to a new phone every 10 months."

? Verizon reps get tons of money from new lines and certain accessories and text packages, take advantage of this. They won't let a new customer walk out the door. "Play hardball, they will do anything to get the new lines. VZW makes $ off the service, not the phones. Tell them you don't want to mail in the rebate. There does come a point of diminishing returns. For example, if you walked in and wanted a $39 plan and a free Treo 700, not gonna happen. But I have given away almost every non-PDA phone in the store for the right deal. Also tell them you will buy the accessories, and text package. Trust me here, these are 2 of the biggest metrics for the reps. Return the accessories the next day and call customer care to cancel your text package."

? Mention the lost or stolen program to get 25% off a new phone, even if you're under contract. Who's to say you didn't lose it?

? If you're on a rate plan of $59.99 or higher, you can get "a new phone (and new contract) for the discounted price after 12 months."

? Insurance is a rip-off. It costs too much and has a $50 deductible.

? Tell them you'll sign up for the Unlimited Data Plan with your Treo. "Speaking of Treos, often they offer an extra $100 off if you get the Unlimited data plan. Get it.. Save $100 and cancel it the next day if you don't want it. The leverage here is amazing also because that high end data package counts as a new activation in a roundabout way for the rep. None of the data packages are contractual. I use to tell the customers this just to save them $."

? Reps don't get as much money if you're still in a contract. If you upgrade on the phone with Verizon, the store reps won't be as motivated to help you.

? Ask for a loyalty credit on the phone before going to the store. "One way to work the system if you have New Every 2 and are out of contract is to call customer care, have them put you back into contract, but ask for a loyalty credit (up to $60 off your next months bill), then go into the retail store and use your New Every 2. The two credits can't be combined and that is the only way to get both. I've never seen this not work, although they could technically say that you already got a credit, but the system are not that informative and I have never seen that happen. Just make sure you know the contract rules for VZW in your state, and make sure you go to the store in time to cancel the new contract in case you cant use the NE2."

I see you like Ultraman. I use to watch that show every day when I was a kid.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae