this is a droid x question but yall are my people

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I know this is the fascinate place but i have a fascinate and love it. Ok so first of all i got a used droidx over the weekend off of a guy for 100 bucks its like new i mean this was a good deal. well i have been using it for 2 days now and have to say i miss my fascinate (I knew i would). The only reason i got the x was to check to see how it worked and resale it for more money. Well i have a guy who wants it but only wants to use it over wifi. I know on the fascinate there was a way to get the phone to work just over wifi like a tab. do any of yall know if it can done on the X? I know this should be asked in the Droidx part but i really didnt feel like geting all the people saying the x is better then the fascinate why do you want to do that for and stuff. So i come to yall my fascinate brothers and sisters to ask for help with out getting *@$^ on.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I know this is the fascinate place but i have a fascinate and love it. Ok so first of all i got a used droidx over the weekend off of a guy for 100 bucks its like new i mean this was a good deal. well i have been using it for 2 days now and have to say i miss my fascinate (I knew i would). The only reason i got the x was to check to see how it worked and resale it for more money. Well i have a guy who wants it but only wants to use it over wifi. I know on the fascinate there was a way to get the phone to work just over wifi like a tab. do any of yall know if it can done on the X? I know this should be asked in the Droidx part but i really didnt feel like geting all the people saying the x is better then the fascinate why do you want to do that for and stuff. So i come to yall my fascinate brothers and sisters to ask for help with out getting *@$^ on.

Hey what the heck is this #&@!? Posting a Droid X question in the Fascinate forum? Did you just fall off a turnip truck? Ha Ha! Just kidding. You didn't think after saying you posted here to avoid being *@$^ on that I of all people would let you get a way scott free did you? :p:D

DroidXcon would probably be the best person to answer that question since he came to the Fascinate from the Droid X (hence the name.) So hopefully he will see this at some point and maybe have an answer for you. In the meantime I just wanted to make you feel welcome and at home here by messing with you. Good luck.

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
no i knew i would get some @*$& for doing it but knew it would be all in good fun not like if i would put in over there and get peoples panties in a bunch for saying i hate the X but yep i hate the X only thing i see thats better then the fascinate is it picks up alittl better in my office at work. I get 3 on it and only 1 or 2 bars on the fascinate. But god the screan is so ugly it makes me want to cry.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
no i knew i would get some @*$& for doing it but knew it would be all in good fun not like if i would put in over there and get peoples panties in a bunch for saying i hate the X but yep i hate the X only thing i see thats better then the fascinate is it picks up alittl better in my office at work. I get 3 on it and only 1 or 2 bars on the fascinate. But god the screan is so ugly it makes me want to cry.

I know what you mean about the screen. I rooted a friend's X and it was amazing to see the difference in the screens. He and his wife (she has a D2 Global) were so jealous of the screen on my fassy. I know he works exclusively off wifi when he is at home, so I would imagine there is a way for the X to work only on wifi. I just don't know how that would be set up or enabled.

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I did some digging and it can be done my in the activate screen hit all 4 corners of the scream and it goes right to the home screen.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if you can do it on the Droid X, but I do know that you can block data access on the line. I've done this before. All you have to do is sign into your "My Verizon" account. You can do it there.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
WiFi Only on Droid X

Yes, you can configure Droid X for WiFi only. You have to log in to your google account but since you don't have phone activation or data plan, you only receive WiFi. I have done it for GF Droid X and it works well...you can surf the web & send & receive emails, view calendar & contacts as long as you have WiFi connection.

Good Luck!

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Yep, my 4 year old uses an old Android 1.6 Blaze as his own little Android ipod touch - just never activate it.

You lose the abilty to do some things - a small example: you cannot get the Amazon appstore as it requires being tied to a phone number. But other than my 4 year old not getting his free app of the day he loves that thing. We use it for phonix games, math games, and yes angry birds - he never asks for my phone anymore :)

Just a hint so that it stops bugging you about service nad searching for service and killing the battery - not sure this still works, but it works on my son's little device - put the phone into airplane mode then individually turn on the wifi - works great!

PS - yes I am raising little nerds, but we play sports, camp and do martial arts too, and yes my four year old is logged into his own google account, but he does not use it for email - just synching - it forwards to my gmail.

PPS - he can even make calls to my phone via skype over our home wifi and does so a few times a day when I am at the firehouse

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
There's no real reason you can't run the X as if it were a mini-tablet using wifi only - whether it's activated or not. Make sure you have the apps you want already on it or use one of the other sources (other than Market). You will have some limtations if it's not activated (as in no phone calls unless you are using skype), but you just turn on WiFi and leave it on. You might check and see if the Data Delivery is activated. If so, would likely be a battery saver to shut that off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463