Stopped using Advanced Task Killer and here are my results.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Advanced Task Killer ever since I got my Droid X. I run a rooted phone (only to freeze the Bloat) and Launcher Pro Plus. I keep everything minimalistic. My phone has been smooth as can be imagined and I never complained about battery life.

I have removed Advanced Task Killer just to test things out. These are my results:

Smoothness: Sometimes I get a little bit of lag, noticeable from before. Sometimes there is a slight delay when unlocking the phone. That is only sometimes. For the most of the time it is just as smooth as before.

Battery Life: My phone has been off of the charger for 7 1/2 hours. I have used it as much as I would on any given day, some youtube (minimal), phone calls, random playing with my phone, testing to see if there is an OTA update for gingerbread, etc., AND I am still at 80%.

So far I am happy not running ATK and will continue not running it.

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Advanced Task Killer ever since I got my Droid X. I run a rooted phone (only to freeze the Bloat) and Launcher Pro Plus. I keep everything minimalistic. My phone has been smooth as can be imagined and I never complained about battery life.

I have removed Advanced Task Killer just to test things out. These are my results:

Smoothness: Sometimes I get a little bit of lag, noticeable from before. Sometimes there is a slight delay when unlocking the phone. That is only sometimes. For the most of the time it is just as smooth as before.

Battery Life: My phone has been off of the charger for 7 1/2 hours. I have used it as much as I would on any given day, some youtube (minimal), phone calls, random playing with my phone, testing to see if there is an OTA update for gingerbread, etc., AND I am still at 80%.

So far I am happy not running ATK and will continue not running it.

Thanks for the post.

Task Killers Apps on Froyo and Gingerbread are a definite No-No

Reactions: WAldenIV

hawke

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Whats the deal with NOT using a task killer? I cant seem to find a definitive answer.

Is this a personal choice? Or should one really NOT use a Task killer on android?

I'm using Advanced Task Killer on my T-mobile Vibrant, which auto installed when I upgraded to froyo 2.2'

I'm a windows guy that uses the windows task manager to save batt life n memory use on my Lappy, for un wanted prog's. Isnt this the same Idea for our phones?

TIA, sorry to the OP, not trying to thread jack, just curious.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm a windows guy that uses the windows task manager to save batt life n memory use on my Lappy, for un wanted prog's. Isnt this the same Idea for our phones?

• First off this is not a Windows phone, if it was what would be the point of creating another operating system.
  • Second, there is no way that any stock phone or upgrade will give place Task killer on your phone. when upgrading to 2.2 for the first time there is a feature that reinstalls any app that you have in your history on your google account. meaning at somepoint in the past you had installed task killer otherwise it would not just randomly download it to your phone.
  • Android system is a multitasking platform. its designed to handle opening and closing apps on its own in an optimized way. When someone uses task killer they usually end all programs many apps that you see open are sharing system files thats why you see them as open even though they are not running a shared file is being used to run the system optimally as possible. When using ATK you shut some of these processes off forcing the system to reload them causing hiccups along the way. ATK also needs to monitor your system therefore it is always scanning causing battery drain and perhaps more drag than needed.

Reactions: BBSeattle

hawke

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
  • First off this is not a Windows phone, if it was what would be the point of creating another operating system.
  • Second, there is no way that any stock phone or upgrade will give place Task killer on your phone. when upgrading to 2.2 for the first time there is a feature that reinstalls any app that you have in your history on your google account. meaning at somepoint in the past you had installed task killer otherwise it would not just randomly download it to your phone.

• Thanks for the informative response. I better understand now. But I sense a lil hostility in your response. Perhaps I'm wrong.

let me just say that I wasn't referring to this as a "windows" Phone, I was saying that I use the TASK manager in WINDOWS OS for my laptop.... I was simply trying to figure out what the difference was. I had no idea that android used it's process's differently to that effect.

Also I had just received a replacement Phone today and ATK wasn't on it before I upgraded..... I didn't know that it reinstalled anything Previously on my Google acct.

I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone here...... I apologize if I came across that way :(

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the informative response. I better understand now. But I sense a lil hostility in your response. Perhaps I'm wrong.

let me just say that I wasn't referring to this as a "windows" Phone, I was saying that I use the TASK manager in WINDOWS OS for my laptop.... I was simply trying to figure out what the difference was. I had no idea that android used it's process's differently to that effect.

I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone here...... I apologize if I came across that way :(

lol sorry if it came off as hostile, its just that the task killer discussion has been discussed to nauseum all over this site. Its like trying to pull weeds that keep growing in a garden it just never goes away lol

So again i apologize if it came off in a hostile manner

Friends ? :D

Reactions: hawke

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i dont believe there was any hostility intended. we have been battling against task killers for a good while on AC. can be tough sometimes though when you have store reps installing them on newly activated phones without really knowing, or explaining to consumers, what they do, or learning why they arent needed. back in the android 1.6 and 2,0 days, they might have had a function if used properly. but nowadays they always usually end up doing more harm than good.

Reactions: DroidXcon and hawke

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The GB leak comes with a Task Manager, straight from Motorola. I like it because it makes it easy to see how much memory and cpu is being used. I use the Auto-end list because it makes a lot of sense in the way it works. You add apps to the auto-end list and it will kill them 2 minutes after the screen goes off. Simple.

An example, for me, would be Google Finance. A great app, but unfortunately it tickles a refcount bug in the WebKit API which can cause a power drain if you view certain news articles. There's a pretty simple remedy for this in each app (the browser implements a work-around), that they need to pause/resume the WebView in a particular manner otherwise it will cause the power drain. It's too bad because they could fix the refcount bug in the OS, but until they do I'm sure there are many such apps using WebView out there with similar behavior. Anyhow, instead of having to track down the app in the manager and kill the service, I only need to add it to the auto-end list and it eliminates the problem.

Here I have the issue documented View topic - WebViewCoreThread problem

So far Google Finance is the only app on my Motorola Task Manager auto-end list. It's the only "buggy" app I have on my device. But it has made a world of difference since I use that app a lot and it was a chore to babysit it.

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Once in a great while most of us get a little bit of lag after a week or so of use if you don't reboot your phone.

I've found the best app to use for me is fast reboot. Market link. No affiliation with the app, just find it very useful.

It's free, does not require root, and once I run it my phone is as fast as if I just rebooted it :)

Bobby J

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
OK so reading this thread new to droid, how do i uninstall, it is on my phone DInc, just upgraded to latest upgrade, i have no clue. Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1