Calling USA from GSM-only countries using Skype over Wifi!

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Just letting everyone know that I just returned from a trip in Honduras. Honduras is a GSM-only country so my Droid X had no cell coverage whatsoever. The native Skype Mobile app blocks usage over a Wifi network with a pop-up message.

However, if you download Skype for Android from the Android Market, it will allow you to use Skype over Wifi. There is no need to need to uninstall the Skype Mobile app, just install Skype for Android and you'll have both apps available. I was able to call home (USA) from Honduras for just $0.02 per minute. Quite a bargain when you consider that the Verizon rate for global phones in Honduras is $1.99 per minute. Skype to Skype calls are free.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah there was a post on the AC blog a month or two ago when Skype had the security issues. To make it up to us, Skype added 3G and WiFi calling to the Skype app. Before they did that there was already a hacked skype app ("Skype Unlocked" I think was the name) that allowed you to make 3G and WiFi calls.... so nothing new here but glad you got to make good use of the service!

The Skype Mobile app on all Verizon Android/BlackBerry devices isn't a true Skype App... it still uses the VZW network to work.