[OFFICIAL] Droid X Gingerbread Impressions and Issues

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Flashed full .340 sbf back up and running still no root

go here to acquire the correct sbf: http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-x-rooting-roms-hacks/83583-updated-sbf-instructions-gb.html

and go here to find the rooted gingerbread update youre looking for. make sure you read the instructions very carefully before you start. youll be using method 2, by the way: Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

no one has found a way to root the ota gingerbread once it has been applied, which is why z4root is not working for you once you update to gingerbread. using the method in the second link i gave you will give you a rooted version of the OTA.

and for next time, not typing in all caps and explaining your issue in complete sentences will typically get you a quicker response from the community :)

Reactions: MIC MAINE

MIC MAINE

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
2.3.340 sucks!! Anyway to go back???

Too many cons and no pros
anybody know a way to go back to any of the previous sbf?
How do i downgrade the bootloader so i don't brick it...again

spouses

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
GB update is keeping me up at night

I keep my Droid X in the dock at night next to my bed.
Got the OTA GB and now my buttons light up like a xmas tree at night.
Verizon rep told me to cover them with tape at night.

markstanco#CB

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
This new OS sucks

Texting....phone freezes. Phone calls ending at 00:00. Nice job google. Your new OS is as capable of windows ME. I do a battery pull twice a day now. Iphone 1 : google 0.

tapatalkin' while driving fast in heavy traffic

44pirate

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Don't worry after 2 weeks they burn out never to lite up again:mad: Lets see is that a $90 repair?

Mwolfer

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a serious issue with my phone contacts. I had previously owned a BB and when I switched to the Droid X last fall, transferred all of my contacts to the phone via backup assistant. Now that I've updated to GB, the only contacts that show are the ones I have entered manually into the DX since that first transfer.

I thought I lost all of the other contacts, but recently received a call from someone whose contact info displayed when the call came in, but is not in my contacts. It's like they're still on my phone, but I can't find them. Could anybody help with this?!

Thanks,

Collin

Have you gone into menu>display options to make sure all the groups in Backup Assistant are checked?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Texting....phone freezes. Phone calls ending at 00:00. Nice job google. Your new OS is as capable of windows ME. I do a battery pull twice a day now. Iphone 1 : google 0.

tapatalkin' while driving fast in heavy traffic

I'd try a factory reset, or switch to iphone if you prefer that device. None of those issues exist on my OTA Gingerbread.

longhairbilly

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
My problem is going from wifi to 3g. When I leave my house and turn wifi off the phone won't kick into 3g. I have to turn it off and let it reboot in order to use any data.

Its getting very annoying to have restart my phone before I leave for work every morning.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not seeing this problem at all, but I use Y5 - Battery Saver to automatically switch between known wifi networks and 3g. It's a free app if you want to try it. If that doesn't work, you could always try a factory reset. That usually fixes most weird problems.

vudugan

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Every other reboot I get the Red M and then a lit black screen.
I let the phone drain today to "calibrate battery" since I did a factory reset.
Plugged phone in from wall to charge, watched M load then black lit screen appeared.
Pulled Battery, watched M load, then 0% battery loaded up.

At 100% full charge unplugged, press power, watched M load, again with the black lit screen. Looking over at it as I type, still black lit screen.

I noticed this after successfully installing 2part GB, so yes it was the same routine before i did the Factory Data Reset, which is why I did it.

Honestly every other reboot this happens and is only cured by a battery pull.

Any comments welcome.

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Noticed that when my X is in the car Dock at night, all the car dock icons are the lightly glowing orangish color except for the top center "Direction/ Navigation" icon. it stays bright white.. Anyone else notice this? Another pretty annoying GB update bug that Bugs me!

Side note, the damn hard buttons like to stay on sometimes.. Wish they would just put it back like it was and take the hard buttons off the light sensor..

borgdog

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Nice! Mine has the same problem.. sometimes. I never know at night if they are going to stay lit or shutoff. Haven't found any commonality yet.

Maximum7

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here on swype. Thought I was just stupid pressing the space key.... glad im not the only one. Lol

Same, the space key hardly ever works with swipe, also I've noticed it is hard to move the cursor if the blue arrow is underneath the cursor and that is where you would like to move next to.

MY MOST HATED FEATURE is that you are no longer able to select multiple contacts in the phone book i HATE THIS!!!!!!!! i have over 350 Facebook friends and nearly 150 phone numbers, how am I supposed to remember or find everyone's name by starting to type their name and having the phone "search and find" it from the phone book?

in the old system, pretend I wanted to send a mass text for say, a birthday party. I could open up a new text go to the phone book ( by pressing the blank add contact bar) and select people in the phone book by putting a check mark next to them.

Now.... i have to A. either hit the contact list scroll though the entire phone book and selected one at a time (horribly tedious and then you forget if you have already selected that person) or B. type in peoples names one by one as the phone predicts your contacts ( impossible to remeber/keep track of contacts)

anyone else agree ?

jvdroid

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Since the update I've been receiving the same text messages from people multiple times even though they only sent it once. It's really annoying!

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Nice! Mine has the same problem.. sometimes. I never know at night if they are going to stay lit or shutoff. Haven't found any commonality yet.

I have noticed that when i LOCK my phone before i put it on the dock the lights go out after about 1 minute. Also, if i put it on the dock UNLOCKED they stay on unless i take it out then put it right back in.

Dyster

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
When using Maps, you find a business and since GB it no longer populates the dialer with the number. I've also tried using Search. Is there a fix? My .573 didn't have this issue. It's only since I went OTA .596.