[OFFICIAL] Droid X Gingerbread Impressions and Issues

Neurofunk

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I am really liking the GB release so far. The Launcher is fast and responsive with scrolling the app drawer scrolls smoothly and the shortcut to the market is handy. in the upper right. The new icons/coloration of the status bar at the top is great as well.

Couple screens of the UI and colors:

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything DIFFERENT from this and the two previous leaks? Can anyone confirm this?

I would myself, but my phone refuses to go into recovery.

Do you have DX Boostrap or D2? ...if you have DX make sure usb debugging is disabled and then it may take a reboot after disabling for it to actually go into recovery.... at least it did for me.

...oh wait... are you trying to go into Stock recovery or CW?

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I got the update zip and i am getting file not signed, install aborted..

B][/B]
Got the official update - installed on a non rooted phone.

Copied the Update file to the SD card - powdered off - held power and home - pressed the search key when the android guy came up . used the volume button to select install update. I got the file from a post at droid world.

- The blue bar at the top is elegant - I like the new 3G symbol.
- sliding between screens is very smooth.
- Social Networking Widget - now your get "cards" that flip (ala album covers on a ipod)
- 4 soft buttons at the bottom -
1) Phone
2) Contacts
3) Text Messaging
4) is the app drawer. You can have folders for your apps in the drawer now. I made one called "default" and selected all but the bloatware so I never have to scroll through them again.

The trash can is now a bar at the top that appears when you need it.

Under settings you have 3 profiles - Each one gives you the seven screens - effectively giving you 21 screens and 3 wallpapers to play with
1) Home
2) Work
3) Weekend

In contacts click the picture to bring up a short cut to text, call, email, fb

I am sure there is more to discover - those were the first things I noticed

rsxtcy4me

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded to the new gingerbread os and can say that I am extremely happy with the new update. Everything seems a bit more refined. Some things particularly that I noticed is that I can finally put my contacts in last name first order( being in the military the fact i couldn't has always been a weak point about the x to me.

Every transition seems to be just a bit smoother and just nice touches everywhere.

And even some of the apps seem to have benefited from the update. Facebook and youtube seem worlds faster. And the phone seems alot faster over wi-fi in general now.

These are the things that I've noticed in just the first hour. Im sure more will pop up as time goes on. Of course this is just coming from froyo to gingerbread.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

vudugan

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Looking good, played with Blur then ran back to Launcherpro Plus! and made app drawer shortcut to Blur Apps!
wish they added zoom to camcorder
tons of new options in all settings
Corp Exchange works great and have better options
Yes it is faster and smoother, apps opening at record speeds
GPS always worked for me but I see it finding me faster

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
ok, found the problem, others may be doing this also.

I was downloading the update.zip with my xoom, then dropboxing it to my X, then running it...was not working, I just downloaded with my computer, then copied it to my X with windoes explorer and it worked fine.

Get Update.zip on Wupload.com

Is the update I used to flash from stock unrooted Froyo to Gingerbread. Not sure if maybe you got a bunk update.zip or not but I can confirm that file works.

edit: To be clear this is .596 the OTA update and can upgrade from froyo to GB

sleekgt

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I just updated my phone to GB. (.596, stock). I like it so far but it seems that the colors in photos don't look right. It's really noticeable in grey-scale pictures and almost looks like banding.

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
search feature inside of stock gmail app does not work. Did not work on .588, flashed back to froyo, it worked, does not work again back on stock .596... cant search for specific emails, just hangs at searching.

vudugan

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
search feature inside of stock gmail app does not work. Did not work on .588, flashed back to froyo, it worked, does not work again back on stock .596... cant search for specific emails, just hangs at searching.

SBF'd to stock from Darkslide ROM and installed GB from TBH, gmail search is working for me.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

It works just fine for me. Perhaps there's an app conflict with your phone.