[OFFICIAL] Droid X Gingerbread Impressions and Issues

LFD153#AC

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Red M of death

did manual update.zip, the appropriate one for non-rooted device. Install seemed fine but now will not reboot past the red Motorola logo. Will not even let me use the reboot key combo (power, home). Nothing. Any ideas?

randynbarb

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
stock update.

updated no problem.Gingerbread seems to be a large improvement over froyo.Even got rid of some
of my enhancement apps to try it all out.Interface and new app drawer and dock are nice.much smoother scrolling.You will definitely like this better than 2.2,I haven't ran across any problems yet.after twelve hours off charger battery still 90 percent.Havent played with it a lot today but still impressive.wifi good
3g signal seems better also.I think this is a great step forward for the x.

Last edited:

mandyed66

May 29, 2011
Visit site
My yahoo mail isn't automatically notifying me since I upgraded. I restarted my phone twice and checked all the settings. Anyone else having this problem? I also have the backup assistant refresh arrows on my blue bar on the top the has not gone away since the upgrade....anyone else with these problems?????

Besides that im in love!!

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Trying to pull up a number in the dialer (from maps or even contacts) causes the dialer to close every time....

Ignat64

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
My yahoo mail isn't automatically notifying me since I upgraded. I restarted my phone twice and checked all the settings. Anyone else having this problem? I also have the backup assistant refresh arrows on my blue bar on the top the has not gone away since the upgrade....anyone else with these problems?????

I'm having the same issue with my Yahoo Mail. I also had that problem with .588. Everything else seems to be working just fine. Well, at least they got rid of that sync icon. I'm also very happy that the stock music player no longer plays album tracks in alphabetical order. YAY!!! I guess the improvements are good enough that I can learn to live with manually checking my Yahoo Mail until I get my new Droid Bionic!

By the way, I'm just a simple unrooted newbie whose most daring feat was sbf'ing back to stock Froyo 2.3.340 from 4.5.588 two weeks ago.

rsxtcy4me

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I seem to be having an issue with picassa. It has has asked me for user name and password two days in a row, and all I end up doing is confirming the information that it already has.

On the plus side my battery life seems to be a lot better thus far on my extended battery.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jmlivingston

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had my DX for about a month now, and knowing Gingerbread was just around the corner I've kept it stock rather than spending a lot of time customizing Froyo. Got tired of waiting for the OTA so I downloaded the full non-rooted update last night. LOVE IT!

• One thing I immediately noticed is that WiFi is much more stable for me than it used to be.
  • Really liking the App drawer groups, but it will take a (little) bit of getting used to the icon for the drawer no longer being in the center of the screen.
  • New VPN capabilities supporting IPSEC. Wohoo!!! Can't wait to try it out, this is huge for me.
  • Generally seems to be visually smoother than stock.
John

wabadroid

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had my DX for about a month now, and knowing Gingerbread was just around the corner I've kept it stock rather than spending a lot of time customizing Froyo. Got tired of waiting for the OTA so I downloaded the full non-rooted update last night. LOVE IT!

• One thing I immediately noticed is that WiFi is much more stable for me than it used to be.
  • Really liking the App drawer groups, but it will take a (little) bit of getting used to the icon for the drawer no longer being in the center of the screen.
  • New VPN capabilities supporting IPSEC. Wohoo!!! Can't wait to try it out, this is huge for me.
  • Generally seems to be visually smoother than stock.
John

What are VPN capabilities and IPSEC? Sorry, not all of us are savvy with all the tech language.
I'm in the SOAK and loving the new GB, trying to understand all the new capabilities. Just installed Netflix!

jmlivingston

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
What are VPN capabilities and IPSEC? Sorry, not all of us are savvy with all the tech language.
I'm in the SOAK and loving the new GB, trying to understand all the new capabilities. Just installed Netflix!

It allows setting up an encrypted tunnel across the internet to allow secure access to servers sitting behind a firewall. Frequently used to get access to corporate servers when not physically onsite.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the rooted GB that p3 just released and am running LPP.

The dialer is awesome now, there is no need to have a separate icon to search for contacts anymore.

I was having issues with my dialer force closing but it was because I froze all of the new authenticators (yahoo, facebook, myspace, okrut, etc.), once I unfroze them everything was good again.

My gmail search works perfectly.

Maps work very quickly so far for me, no freezing yet (fingers crossed)

I love all of the new icons in the notification bar (3g, gps, etc.)

I dont like that when I have an alarm set for 3 days from now it leaves an icon in the notification bar.

Netflix works on my phone now, I got the .apk from Droidlife

phone is definitely much faster and smoother.

sparhawke2000

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I really like this upgrade. I was on .595 before, and there are a number of improvements. I'm really glad they fixed the issue with the bottom keys, when using the dock...the bright lights were annoying at night. Overall the phone seems much smoother.

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
found a fix for my search not working, i was using the Gmail widget from LPP, with that on the home screen the search didnt work, when i removed it the search worked in case anyone else winds up with the same problem.

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Hrmm..... This is taking a while to reboot after patch... Damn this is awesome.... This is what Android shoulda been from the start. Finallly a polished GUI.

Last edited:

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Found a problem, when using yellow book, you used to be able to touch the phjone number and it would launch in the dialer, now the dialer launches, but the number is not in it, you have to put it in manually

rsxtcy4me

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Found a problem, when using yellow book, you used to be able to touch the phjone number and it would launch in the dialer, now the dialer launches, but the number is not in it, you have to put it in manually

That sounds like an issue with the app more than anything.

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that you can no longer choose to show only fb or twitter contacts or what have you when choosing contacts to show updates from in a moto social networking widget, so you are forced to create groups...which can only contain 100 contacts each.

I have to say, though... blur has come a long way. I think the new tweaks are awesome. I can't believe how much better it is than 2.1, much less older moto devices. I now prefer it to sense, just a personal preference.

I am easily pulling down 1800+ quadrant scores, and everything feels snappier than ever.

Oh yeah and dark status bar is a nice thing to have out of the box. Now we are going to have to do white status bar mods!

bbEvolution

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
For the X2?

Two Questions:

1- Can this update be applied to the X2?

2- If so, Why does the power/home combo not get me into recovery?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks:confused:

Ignat64

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

mandyed66,
I think I've found a solution to our little Yahoo Mail issue! Download and install the Yahoo! Mail app from the market. Open up the app and add your Yahoo email account(s). Remove the Yahoo accounts from your Messaging app so you can receive your Yahoo emails through the Yahoo Mail app only. The Yahoo mail app will cause your LED indicator to flash purple when new Yahoo emails come in. Then, if you like, you may place a Yahoo Mail shortcut on your home screen for your convenience. After trying this, I really love this app because it behaves like the desktop Yahoo email web page by sending your junk emails directly to the spam and trash folders instead of your inbox. Now my Gingerbread is PERFECT since that was my only issue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21