[OFFICIAL] Droid X Gingerbread Impressions and Issues

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Found another issue on my rooted .596 X. The "Battery and Data Manager" immediately closes when I try to open it. I didn't freeze that app, so is there something else I froze that could be causing this issue or is this something others are experiencing?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jamison75

May 24, 2010
Visit site
ok so well was told on Friday that im getting the gingerbread OTA for my Droid X here it is Tuesday going on Wed and still nothing it keeps telling me im currently up to date ..so how long do i wait ?or am I going to get it if so when so i know not to check my phone every 5 min ...just very frustrating here ...love my droid but would love to try out the new software ...

Reactions: griff7774

borgdog

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
stock un-rooted Froyo updated with posted update.zip.

Only issue I've found so far is with e-mail accounts. I had 3 setup on the phone, and they all show up when I go into Messaging and can get in and read the e-mails fine. The problem is i can't get to or see any of the settings except for the gmail account, nor can I delete them as they don't show up in Accounts.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
OTA Available now!

Just installed!

Issues off hand...

- Widgetsoid controls not working in Notification area (shame, it was a nice feature).
- Some app notification icons don't look as good on the blue bar (I guess apps will have to update).

Last edited:

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
dont be too excited, everyone else has had it for several days now :)

:)

Sure. Been looking here for what to expect. I may've built up too high an expectation. :)

Some things certainly seem faster. The text input. The Voice Commands (actually usable now).

Notif per/item dismiss is nice. I think clock no longer wastes room on AM/PM.

But, other things are a step backward, I think:

- Text selection seemed better before. Before, double-tap word, it's selected with the start/end controls. Now, tap word, tap-hold, chose 'Select Word', only then get the start/end controls.

- Dragging lists past their end, used to "stretch/bounce" nicely off the top/bottom. Now. only get a faint blue shadow at list ends.

- Still no way to disable lock screen (NoLock app is not same, since all buttons and BT unlock screen then).

Default Home screen is definitely an improvement, but ADW is still way better.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Rooted DX and GB is now available, what now?

Verizon just pushed the GB update to me, and I have a rooted DX.

When I rooted my phone originally, I used an easy method to do it that did not involve any complicated steps.

Can someone point me to a link with instructions on how to get GB and root my phone again? I would prefer to have a rooted version of what Verizon pushed out to me this morning.

Thank you,

Elizabeth

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
ETA: Found the instructions p3droid provided elsewhere with copies of files for phones in different states. I do not understand what sbf means and going back to stock Froyo. When I rooted previously, I used z4root and it couldn't have been easier. Guess I will have to read up on what sbf is.

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Definitely do your research as you can damage your phone if you don't follow the instructions to the letter. The current OTA release of GB (.596) is not rootable at the moment. You have to follow p3droid's instructions and install their pre-rooted GB, which is identical to the OTA release.

My recommendation would be to wait a week or so to see in they come up with a one click root method like Z4Root. If they don't crack it within a week, go ahead and SBF back to Froyo and use p3droid's method 2.

borgdog

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
stock un-rooted Froyo updated with posted update.zip.

Only issue I've found so far is with e-mail accounts. I had 3 setup on the phone, and they all show up when I go into Messaging and can get in and read the e-mails fine. The problem is i can't get to or see any of the settings except for the gmail account, nor can I delete them as they don't show up in Accounts.

OK, found a "fix" on another forum somewhere, if you change your account password the the phone will error and pop up a dialog to change the settings then you can hit the Remove button and get rid of the account, then re-set it up again.

Reactions: scottabutler

StorminDT

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
OK, found a "fix" on another forum somewhere, if you change your account password the the phone will error and pop up a dialog to change the settings then you can hit the Remove button and get rid of the account, then re-set it up again.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I am having the same problem.

It also does not show my calendar from my exchange account (or allow me to select it). It only shows the gmail calendar.

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting "DOWNLOAD UNSUCCESSFUL, PLEASE TRY AGAIN" when trying to download from the market after the GB update.. anyone know how to fix? I have done factory reset.. Clear data, clear cache.. Nothing works. Anyone else having this issue with GB?

Side note.. Its just the Android Market... I can download from Amazon app store just fine..

ellendemova

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Did the OTA update this morning. My first impressions:

Does anyone else think that Facebook on Gingerbread looks absolutely atrocious? The news feed is now dark blue and only turns white when you are scrolling. Also, there are big grey areas at the end of comments on statuses and links. It just looks ugly. Glad they're working on a new build.

I think the blue/white GB theme clashes with some apps (ie: Tweetdeck). Would be nice if we could customize the color scheme.

I'm liking the new cursor in the text box. WAY easier to use. Sad that Swype removed the emoticon button.

I'm also having trouble getting the physical buttons below the screen to light up. They light up during the lock screen but seem to stay dark during actual use of the phone.

The shortcuts for phone contacts on the main screen have changed a little. The picture is now smaller and the phone or message button is now larger. (I liked the larger picture.)

I don't like the new text messaging layout. The square, boxy look isn't appealing to me. It is, however, quite the opposite of iOS. Maybe that's what they were going for.

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Did the OTA update this morning. My first impressions:

Does anyone else think that Facebook on Gingerbread looks absolutely atrocious? The news feed is now dark blue and only turns white when you are scrolling. Also, there are big grey areas at the end of comments on statuses and links. It just looks ugly. Glad they're working on a new build.

New build better be nice...

I think the blue/white GB theme clashes with some apps (ie: Tweetdeck). Would be nice if we could customize the color scheme. Im with you on this

I'm liking the new cursor in the text box. WAY easier to use. Sad that Swype removed the emoticon button. :)

I'm also having trouble getting the physical buttons below the screen to light up. They light up during the lock screen but seem to stay dark during actual use of the phone. They run on the light sensor now.. When it is bright out or in light they do not come on. In the dark or low light they will work.. Kinda cool i think..

The shortcuts for phone contacts on the main screen have changed a little. The picture is now smaller and the phone or message button is now larger. (I liked the larger picture.)Bigger is better!

I don't like the new text messaging layout. The square, boxy look isn't appealing to me. It is, however, quite the opposite of iOS. Maybe that's what they were going for.Have not seen this yet as i have no txt..

See RED!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney