[OFFICIAL] Droid X Gingerbread Impressions and Issues
The Gingerbread OTA for the Droid X is finally right around the corner. If you have received the OTA, let us know what you think about it! This is also the place to talk about any issues anyone is experiencing with the new update.
Please don't offer impressions until you have used the official OTA update (4.5.596). If you are running any of the leaked builds (.588, .591, .595), there are several other threads discussing those builds
Last edited by terpitude71; 05-27-2011 at 11:15 PM.
- 05-28-2011, 01:02 AM #2
- 05-28-2011, 01:08 AM #3
- 05-28-2011, 02:01 AM #4
- 05-28-2011, 03:07 AM #5
- 05-28-2011, 06:52 AM #6
- 05-28-2011, 09:42 AM #7
I could not find the file.
I am probably wrong, but I think MOTO has hidden the file so that it does not get out there. I used Root Explorer and could not find a thing.
- 05-28-2011, 09:49 AM #8
- 05-28-2011, 09:51 AM #9
- 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM #10
- 05-28-2011, 10:54 AM #11
- 05-28-2011, 11:41 AM #12
- 05-28-2011, 12:16 PM #13
- 05-28-2011, 01:13 PM #14
- 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM #15
- 17 Posts
I would like to see maps improved. It constantly locks up on my stock froyo dx. All they ever update is that check in crap. I would just like to be able to get a current location of my kids phone when i hit reload. The sprint locator was amazing compaired to latitude. Well worth 5 bucks a month
- 05-28-2011, 02:26 PM #16
- 05-28-2011, 02:30 PM #17So .596 also doesnt solve the google maps compass mode problem where east-west are reversed.This happens on both of my droidX but doesnt happen in 2.3.340.
This only happens when you are stationary or moving at slow speed. At fast speed its corrects itself but reverts back to the wrong as soon as you go on slow speed (somewhere < 2mph i guess). This bug affects only google products. Mytrack or any other app that uses compass show everything correctly n correct direction. Hell the compass calibrate in DX also shows the correct direction. Its damn google framework.
- 05-28-2011, 04:37 PM #18
Got the official update - installed on a non rooted phone.
Copied the Update file to the SD card - powdered off - held power and home - pressed the search key when the android guy came up . used the volume button to select install update. I got the file from a post at droid world.
- The blue bar at the top is elegant - I like the new 3G symbol.
- sliding between screens is very smooth.
- Social Networking Widget - now your get "cards" that flip (ala album covers on a ipod)
- 4 soft buttons at the bottom -
3) Text Messaging
4) is the app drawer. You can have folders for your apps in the drawer now. I made one called "default" and selected all but the bloatware so I never have to scroll through them again.
The trash can is now a bar at the top that appears when you need it.
Under settings you have 3 profiles - Each one gives you the seven screens - effectively giving you 21 screens and 3 wallpapers to play with
In contacts click the picture to bring up a short cut to text, call, email, fb
I am sure there is more to discover - those were the first things I noticedDyslectics of the World UNTIE!
- 05-28-2011, 06:02 PM #19MacGyver Wannabe
- 612 Posts
I love the visual tweaks - blue notification bar, better line items in the notification bar, the rotating "working" icon.
There is a low-power sleep mode now. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a nice option when you don't need to use the phone for a while, but want it to power up quickly.
The phone shutdown is waaaaaaaaaaaay faster now.
The app drawer seems as fast as Launcher Pro used to be in the pre-Froyo days.
- 05-28-2011, 06:28 PM #20
Is there anything DIFFERENT from this and the two previous leaks? Can anyone confirm this?
I would myself, but my phone refuses to go into recovery.
EDIT: Recovery is different in GB.
1. Power phone off
2. Hold Home button and Power button until you see the Android guy
3. Press Vol Up & Vol Down keys at the same time (instead of search button)
4. Use Power button instead of camera button to accept
Last edited by Genericmessage00; 05-28-2011 at 06:43 PM.Droid--->Droid----->Droid-------->Droid2----->DroidX---->DroidX---->DroidX------>iPhone4
I am seeing a pattern here................
- 05-28-2011, 06:43 PM #21
- 14 Posts
I am really liking the GB release so far. The Launcher is fast and responsive with scrolling the app drawer scrolls smoothly and the shortcut to the market is handy. in the upper right. The new icons/coloration of the status bar at the top is great as well.
Couple screens of the UI and colors:
- 05-28-2011, 06:43 PM #22Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle
- 05-28-2011, 07:25 PM #23
- 05-28-2011, 07:29 PM #24Droid--->Droid----->Droid-------->Droid2----->DroidX---->DroidX---->DroidX------>iPhone4
I am seeing a pattern here................
- 05-28-2011, 07:36 PM #25