Can you seriously NOT link contacts anymore with Gingerbread?!?!?!

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm going insane here. I want to link a few facebook contacts with my regular phone contacts, some work fine while others DON'T! I used to just click "link contacts" you can't do that anymore?!?! You also used to be able to use Facebook as a picture source, I see you can't do that either???

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Select the contact, select edit contact, hit the menu button, select join.

Thank You. Man I was ripping my hair out, between UI crashes (Finally figured out it was the Slacker Widget along with the Weather.com widget... I guess they need to get an update to work properly) and contacts I wish wishing I didn't upgrade. Things seem to be running smooth now.

Thanks guys for the help!!

Janmcward2

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can you seriously NOT link contacts anymore with Gingerbread?

Nope...just bought the phone and asked if I could link with facebook contacts and of course they said YES...found this online today...from GOOGLE...

“We believe it is very important that users are able to control their data. So in the over-the-air update for Nexus S, we have a small change to how Facebook contacts appear on the device. For Nexus S users who downloaded the Facebook app from Android Market, Facebook contacts will no longer appear to be integrated with the Android Contacts app. Since Facebook contacts cannot be exported from the device, the appearance of integration created a false sense of data portability. Facebook contact data will continue to appear within the Facebook app. Like all developers on Android, Facebook is free to use the Android contacts API to truly integrate contacts on the device, which would allow users to have more control over their data. We are removing the special-case handling of Facebook contacts on Nexus S and future lead devices. We continue to believe that reciprocity (the expectation that if information can be imported into a service it should be able to be exported) is an important step toward creating a world of true data liberation — and encourage other websites and app developers to allow users to export their contacts as well.” Google statement:mad:

Janmcward2

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can you seriously NOT link contacts anymore with Gingerbread?

“We believe it is very important that users are able to control their data. So in the over-the-air update for Nexus S, we have a small change to how Facebook contacts appear on the device. For Nexus S users who downloaded the Facebook app from Android Market, Facebook contacts will no longer appear to be integrated with the Android Contacts app. Since Facebook contacts cannot be exported from the device, the appearance of integration created a false sense of data portability. Facebook contact data will continue to appear within the Facebook app. Like all developers on Android, Facebook is free to use the Android contacts API to truly integrate contacts on the device, which would allow users to have more control over their data. We are removing the special-case handling of Facebook contacts on Nexus S and future lead devices. We continue to believe that reciprocity (the expectation that if information can be imported into a service it should be able to be exported) is an important step toward creating a world of true data liberation — and encourage other websites and app developers to allow users to export their contacts as well.” Google statement