bricked my droid x but verizon replaced

luster71

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
i tried to put simply stunning over darkslide 4.2 i wiped data and cache but it aborted, so in haste i said install hateraid from zip without wiping. got stuck in motorolla m logo the reboot loop, tried battery pulls. wiped data and cache in recovery mode nothing helped couldnt get hooked to pc to sbf, tried alot. well last resort called verizon they tried to troubleshoot but only got to recovery and they sent me another droid x . am i going to hear from them when they receive my phone or am i safe?

kirblar#AC

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
You receive an email from when they send out the replacement. Whenever i had a phone switched out by Verizon i never got a notification when it arrived, only when the replacement was shipped.

ndwatkins

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm just warning you, everyone is really getting crabby over doing stuff like that right now. The forums are here so you can ask people like us for help when something like this happens. People are starting to get really angry over people bricking their phones due to their own lack of knowledge and then asking Verizon for a replacement. I'm not going to give you a lecture, but I'm warning you that other people are going to.

I'm also going to warn you that Verizon is starting to check more carefully for evidence of rooting/tampering on warranty claims, because they lose money when you screw up. To be honest, doing this gives the rooting community a bad name and this is what is going to get you into trouble. Personally, I don't care about Verizon losing money in the least, but I DO CARE about this community, and things like this are bad for us.

Anyway, please try to be more careful in the future. Remember, if something like this happens, post your problem, and we can help you troubleshoot.

Reactions: Ricky Babalu

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
i tried to put simply stunning over darkslide 4.2 i wiped data and cache but it aborted, so in haste i said install hateraid from zip without wiping. got stuck in motorolla m logo the reboot loop, tried battery pulls. wiped data and cache in recovery mode nothing helped couldnt get hooked to pc to sbf, tried alot. well last resort called verizon they tried to troubleshoot but only got to recovery and they sent me another droid x . am i going to hear from them when they receive my phone or am i safe?

Someone did post about Verizon finding out and billing him full retail later on. Next time start a post and we would have saved it. Manually downloading the x drivers would have had your phone recognized and the sbf would have fixed it.

sent by CyanogenMod X

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You will probably be back-billed full price for the replacement phone.

Not...You'll be fine, but you should try harder. There are threads here that could have helped you get your X back up and running. Besides, what they're going to ship you is a refurb. I'd prefer my own device.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Not...You'll be fine, but you should try harder. There are threads here that could have helped you get your X back up and running. Besides, what they're going to ship you is a refurb. I'd prefer my own device.

Yes, he probably will. Verizon started adding full price phone costs to people's bills this month for returning rooted phones. Go read any of the threads or existing news stories on Android sites from this week.

hillbilliegreg

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, he probably will. Verizon started adding full price phone costs to people's bills this month for returning rooted phones. Go read any of the threads or existing news stories on Android sites from this week.

sorry to bust your bubble friend, but that's just YOUR opinion, based on one post from a guy in fla. who ALLEGEDLY sent back a rooted phone. here is what verizon says about the story, from "driodlife"

"Our friends at Verizon saw this post and wanted to reach out to clarify everything immediately. First up, is the fact that their policy says absolutely nothing about checking for root on devices. When a phone is received, a phone is checked for three things and that definitely isn?t one of them. They check to see if the box that the device was sent in is damaged, if the outside of the phone looks awful, and if it powers on ? satisfy all of those and they move on to the next phone. So basically, these reports of being charged for a rooted phone simply mean that these people were sending in garbage phone with defects."

so you can stop spreading the FUD

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
sorry to bust your bubble friend, but that's just YOUR opinion, based on one post from a guy in fla. who ALLEGEDLY sent back a rooted phone. here is what verizon says about the story, from "driodlife"

"Our friends at Verizon saw this post and wanted to reach out to clarify everything immediately. First up, is the fact that their policy says absolutely nothing about checking for root on devices. When a phone is received, a phone is checked for three things and that definitely isn?t one of them. They check to see if the box that the device was sent in is damaged, if the outside of the phone looks awful, and if it powers on ? satisfy all of those and they move on to the next phone. So basically, these reports of being charged for a rooted phone simply mean that these people were sending in garbage phone with defects."

so you can stop spreading the FUD

Agreed. I doubt the OP will see any type of bill for the full price.