Good SMS Popup app?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good SMS popup style app besides SMS Popup?

I have SMS Popup and Gingerbread on my DX and I dont think SMS Popup is GB friendly.. it eventually stops working and my device slows to a crawl until I reboot.

Tone_Capone

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I use go sms pro, which is free, and has popup sms. It is a complete replacement of the stock sms app. I absolutely love go sms and you should def try it out!

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I dont want a complete sms replacement if I can get away with it.. I want just something that pops up an sms but leaves the stock messaging app.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Then the stock SMS app would have to have a pop up option which it doesn't in GB. You had asked for a pop up styled app which means you would have to go 3rd party. I also wish the stock had pop-up so I wouldnt need to go 3rd party and who knows maybe someday it will.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
SMS Popup does exactly what I need, but it's just not for GB.. I've had nothing but problems. I uninstalled it and my issues went away. =(

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Go SMS Pro. I think it's better than Handcent. Use it instead of the stock app and turn off notifications with the stock app.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Go SMS Pro. I think it's better than Handcent. Use it instead of the stock app and turn off notifications with the stock app.

Can you provide a comparison between the two? I'm currently giving Handcent a trial, but the ads are annoying me and I cannot locate a "Pro" (aka paid-for/no-ads) version.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What issue are you experiencing because SMS Popup has worked fine on my device..

It works for a day or 2, and then suddenly it no longer will pop up messages.. it's like the app hangs. I still get texts, just it's not notifiying me.. and when it hangs, it causes my device to slow to a crawl.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It works for a day or 2, and then suddenly it no longer will pop up messages.. it's like the app hangs. I still get texts, just it's not notifiying me.. and when it hangs, it causes my device to slow to a crawl.

You are not by chance using a task killer app of some kind that may be closing the app because I haven't seen that issue.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I am to so I dont think that is the issue...

What I didn't do is wipe my phone before installing the .595 update

I went from the original .588 update to the .595 update and just rebooted. Everything works great, no crashes except for the slow down so I don't see how wiping would fix it.

another thing I noticed, on FroYo, the simifolder widget was super responsive and fast. in GB, it seems I click it and wait 5 seconds fo the widget to open..and using widgetlocker.. when unlocking the phone it takes like a good 1 second before the homescreen appears after I unlock.. on FroYo, it was instant.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
What I didn't do is wipe my phone before installing the .595 update

I went from the original .588 update to the .595 update and just rebooted. Everything works great, no crashes except for the slow down so I don't see how wiping would fix it.

another thing I noticed, on FroYo, the simifolder widget was super responsive and fast. in GB, it seems I click it and wait 5 seconds fo the widget to open..and using widgetlocker.. when unlocking the phone it takes like a good 1 second before the homescreen appears after I unlock.. on FroYo, it was instant.

Actually if you loaded over a full customized device I can see how this could cause issues, try Clearing System Cache and uninstall and reinstall SMS Popup and see if that helps.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I was giving Handcent a try, now I'm giving GO SMS a try. And I gotta say, they appear to be almost identical where it counts. Even the Preferences are virtually identical. But no ads in GO.

mvysata

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Try Smart Notify - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kuma.smartnotify

sn1en.jpg
sn2en.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2