Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Good SMS Popup app?

    Can anyone recommend a good SMS popup style app besides SMS Popup?

    I have SMS Popup and Gingerbread on my DX and I dont think SMS Popup is GB friendly.. it eventually stops working and my device slows to a crawl until I reboot.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  2. #2  
    Tone_Capone's Avatar

    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy

    Default

    I use go sms pro, which is free, and has popup sms. It is a complete replacement of the stock sms app. I absolutely love go sms and you should def try it out!
  3. #3  
    jerseyboy357's Avatar

    Posts
    1,464 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,465 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

    Default

    Handcent
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    I dont want a complete sms replacement if I can get away with it.. I want just something that pops up an sms but leaves the stock messaging app.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  5. #5  
    jerseyboy357's Avatar

    Posts
    1,464 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,465 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

    Default

    Then the stock SMS app would have to have a pop up option which it doesn't in GB. You had asked for a pop up styled app which means you would have to go 3rd party. I also wish the stock had pop-up so I wouldnt need to go 3rd party and who knows maybe someday it will.
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    SMS Popup does exactly what I need, but it's just not for GB.. I've had nothing but problems. I uninstalled it and my issues went away. =(
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Just get handcent and make that your default texting app. Works great!
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    SMS Popup does exactly what I need, but it's just not for GB.. I've had nothing but problems. I uninstalled it and my issues went away. =(
    Try SMS Missed Call Popup Notifier at https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  9. #9  

    Default

    Go SMS Pro. I think it's better than Handcent. Use it instead of the stock app and turn off notifications with the stock app.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    SMS Popup does exactly what I need, but it's just not for GB.. I've had nothing but problems. I uninstalled it and my issues went away. =(
    What issue are you experiencing because SMS Popup has worked fine on my device..
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  11. #11  
    gordol's Avatar

    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    803 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock GB 2.3.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Go SMS Pro. I think it's better than Handcent. Use it instead of the stock app and turn off notifications with the stock app.
    Can you provide a comparison between the two? I'm currently giving Handcent a trial, but the ads are annoying me and I cannot locate a "Pro" (aka paid-for/no-ads) version.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    What issue are you experiencing because SMS Popup has worked fine on my device..
    It works for a day or 2, and then suddenly it no longer will pop up messages.. it's like the app hangs. I still get texts, just it's not notifiying me.. and when it hangs, it causes my device to slow to a crawl.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    It works for a day or 2, and then suddenly it no longer will pop up messages.. it's like the app hangs. I still get texts, just it's not notifiying me.. and when it hangs, it causes my device to slow to a crawl.
    You are not by chance using a task killer app of some kind that may be closing the app because I haven't seen that issue.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Nope.. I am using the leaked GB .595 though..
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  15. #15  

    Default

    I am to so I dont think that is the issue...
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    I am to so I dont think that is the issue...
    What I didn't do is wipe my phone before installing the .595 update

    I went from the original .588 update to the .595 update and just rebooted. Everything works great, no crashes except for the slow down so I don't see how wiping would fix it.

    another thing I noticed, on FroYo, the simifolder widget was super responsive and fast. in GB, it seems I click it and wait 5 seconds fo the widget to open..and using widgetlocker.. when unlocking the phone it takes like a good 1 second before the homescreen appears after I unlock.. on FroYo, it was instant.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    What I didn't do is wipe my phone before installing the .595 update

    I went from the original .588 update to the .595 update and just rebooted. Everything works great, no crashes except for the slow down so I don't see how wiping would fix it.

    another thing I noticed, on FroYo, the simifolder widget was super responsive and fast. in GB, it seems I click it and wait 5 seconds fo the widget to open..and using widgetlocker.. when unlocking the phone it takes like a good 1 second before the homescreen appears after I unlock.. on FroYo, it was instant.
    Actually if you loaded over a full customized device I can see how this could cause issues, try Clearing System Cache and uninstall and reinstall SMS Popup and see if that helps.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  18. #18  
    mhans311's Avatar

    Posts
    478 Posts
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

    Default

    +1 for Go SMS
  19. #19  
    gordol's Avatar

    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    803 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock GB 2.3.4

    Default

    I was giving Handcent a try, now I'm giving GO SMS a try. And I gotta say, they appear to be almost identical where it counts. Even the Preferences are virtually identical. But no ads in GO.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Good SMS Popup app?

Posting Permissions