How to root motorola milestone x2 (2.3.6)

cmkpro81

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have just bought a Milestone X2 from Cspire about 2 weeks ago. And for the past week I have been searching for a way to root my device. And every method has brought me up short I mean try after try no success. Could someone please point me in the rite direction as to where I mite find a way to root my device please. Your efforts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

cmkpro81

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's works!!!!!! I figured it all out. It was a simple error on my part in the directions that I was following. That method does work but there are 2 versions of that process.

cmkpro81

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
The method that works is listed above by Rusty. And when you get to that page at the bottom of the last step listed in the root process, there are 2 more links. The one that is marked breifmoblie is the one that did not work for me I may have been doing it wrong I'm not sure. But the one that I used has a few more commands to type in that's the one that I used. Make sure though when you start to follow all the steps to the T. I mean type exactly what you see and press enter after every command. And it will say fail a few times but don't worry just follow the steps. And make for sure that you have yur screen set to not go off. Because that was one of my problems I had cause when it reboots and the screen goes off you will not see the superuser prompt on yur phone and you will miss it and not get root. And make sure when you do start, the files that you do have to download for this need to be saved together and extracted to yur computers OS or on my desktop it was Win7/os. I hope that my trial and error has helped you out I take no credit for the root process itself. It belongs to someone else's hard work and effort.

cmkpro81

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Try just googleing the 2 downloads that you need. And then go back to the process listed. Im sure there still somewhere on the internet.

Sketch83-54

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have tried that method and I followed all the steps. I didn't see the other commands until i read on into the forum. When i type the last command " PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk" it says installation failed file already exists. In the directions it says you NEED super user installed from the market and it FAILS. Either im not doing something right or my phone is a stubborn one. My phone is also the X2 from C spire. Running 2.3.6

Last edited:

Sketch83-54

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
could you please explain to me the EXACT steps you used? I would really like to get my phone rooted. (Motorola Milestone X2 from C Spire running2.3.6)

cmkpro81

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I had the same problem with typing errors I was getting the zeros mixed up with the oo's........ but congrats on yur success and enjoy yur root...

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Android Central Forums

hightechnoob

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
heres a good walk through on rooting x2's BIG thx to XDA!

Originally Posted by DarkFalconX
This method works! There are only 2 differences in the commands (indicated in red):

Obtain the necessary files from the Atrix 2.3.6 link above
Extract the ADB-Fastboot package and root image to your C:\ Drive under a new folder titled ?root?
Put your device into Fastboot mode: ? Turn off your device. ? Hold down the power button and downward volume button until you see ?Fastboot? on your screen ? Push the upward volume button
Connect your phone via USB cable. Allow Windows to install the new hardware if this is the first time you have used Fastboot mode.
Open your command prompt (Start >> run ?cmd? >> enter)
Type the following commands
cd C:/root
fastboot flash preinstall root.img
fastboot reboot
Enable USB debugging (Settings >> Applications >> Debugging)
adb shell
/preinstall/su
Allow Superuser access on the phone when prompted
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk

Congratulations! You are rooted!
This worked me also but I had to download superuser from the market first then follow the steps, and finally rooted

Sketch83-54

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Now if only i could find a good ROM that will be performance enhancing and works on mx2 v. 2.3.6

Sketch83-54

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I heard cyanogen 7 will flash in mx2 2.3.6 but the wifi wont even turn on. I think i heard it on xda or android police. I dont remember. Anywho i just want a nice rom that will STOP THIS PHONE FROM LAGGING. Even WITH setCPU installed running MAX speed, the phone still lags sometimes.......fudge......

cmkpro81

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
To get rid of lag you need to delete all the apps that CSpire has on the phone. You know all those sorry apps that nobody wants or uses. And that will free up a lot of space and help with lag.