droid x2 rooted

DJORDAN

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
DX2 Rooted using GingerBreak, working Netflix also.
aefe35d4-dbb1-6123.jpg
aefe35d4-dbd1-7f65.jpg
aefe35d4-dbed-4820.jpg
aefe35d4-dc00-d2ba.jpg
aefe35d4-dc13-9e67.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

BTSee

May 6, 2010
Visit site
This is my 2nd Android phone (had the htc Incredible for a year) and don't know much about rooting.

I think the only reason I would do it would be to get rid of the VZW apps I don't use. Is that a worthwhile reason to do it?

Is there a good tutorial someone could point me to so I don't screw anything up?

Reactions: aseercte

tdavis823

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
No tutorial required. Easiest rooting experience I've ever had, I thought there had to be more to it, but nope.

Download the gingerbreak .apk and put it on your SD card. Use Astro to install it, voila!

Reactions: oldschoolbrian

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I had an Original Droid, but never rooted it. I have a Droid X2, and rooted it this morning using the simple instructions posted on the other thread.

My question now is, how do I use it? I saw the SuperUser app, but am not quite sure what it does. I have an empty App tab, no log files, and a settings screen that isn't very helpful.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SoCoolAZ

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have not yet rooted, this will be my first foray into the android world as I just dumped my BB Storm for X2. My research seems to have all paths leading back to rooting the device. Here is what I am looking to accomplish using the X2:

MP4 playback - getting error, file will not display
Bloatware removal - I'm surprisingly unimpressed by the speed...5 sec delay in loading apps menu
apk files - Both File Manager and ASTRO seem blind to the files that I have dropped into an "app" folder on the SD
Wireless or tethered hot spot - my understanding is Verizon wants me to pay an additional 30/mo for this function...seems ridiculous when I am trying to get internet through my laptop on the train

My concerns, pre-root are as follows:

Will I lose what I understand to be my "skin", motoblur ?
I'm not concerned about "bricking" the phone, but can I un-root it for warranty purposes?
Will I still have my 7 home screens and will the app links I have setup be wiped?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stagger0

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have not yet rooted, this will be my first foray into the android world as I just dumped my BB Storm for X2. My research seems to have all paths leading back to rooting the device. Here is what I am looking to accomplish using the X2:

MP4 playback - getting error, file will not display
Bloatware removal - I'm surprisingly unimpressed by the speed...5 sec delay in loading apps menu
apk files - Both File Manager and ASTRO seem blind to the files that I have dropped into an "app" folder on the SD
Wireless or tethered hot spot - my understanding is Verizon wants me to pay an additional 30/mo for this function...seems ridiculous when I am trying to get internet through my laptop on the train

My concerns, pre-root are as follows:

Will I lose what I understand to be my "skin", motoblur ?
I'm not concerned about "bricking" the phone, but can I un-root it for warranty purposes?
Will I still have my 7 home screens and will the app links I have setup be wiped?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

1.) No, and currently not possible to remove it anyway
2.) Once you root, it's voided. There used to be scripts to unroot, but once you root, you rarely go back. And if you really needed the warranty, you'd be unable to unroot anyway
3.) No wiping. Thats only for Roms.

andrewp3481

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
gingerbreak works confirmed :p v1.2

download astro file manager from market
then go here to download apk and install
http://forum.androidcentral.com/att...ot-droid-x2-shipped-rom-gingerbreak-v1.20.apk
anyone want to start a list of system apps that can be safely removed? I'll start with the obvious ones...

Amazon
Blockbuster
City ID
DLNA
Emergency Alerts
FM Player
Music (I use Google Music)
Help Center
IM
News
News + Weather
Tasks
V Cast Apps
V Cast Music
V Cast Videos
Visual Voice Mail
VZ Navigator

Thats probably the most obvious list, but let me know if there's more we can get rid of.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Can we still get updates if we are rooted?

it's getting harder and harder to do that. you rooted using gingerbreak. soon there will be ROMs coming out that are like having gingerbread on steroids. you're going to love it. when you try and get updates OTA, it scans your phones for certain system apps before letting the update go through. So just because you're rooted doesn't mean you can't update. if you root and delete all of the bloat, then no, you can't get official updates.

Updates always leak and ROMs are built off of updates. So while you can't get official updates (unless of course you unroot and go back to stock, which takes about 10 minutes), you can still get updates, albeit a few days after they're made official.

the act of rooting doesn't do anything. what you do after you have root is what will dictate your future of updating.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I was rooted with gingerbreak, titanium backup, and froze bloatware. I started having issues with my phone. I could not access my contacts. I wiped phone and went back to stock. I think I will wait for official gingerbread or a new phone.

andrewp3481

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted with gingerbreak, titanium backup, and froze bloatware. I started having issues with my phone. I could not access my contacts. I wiped phone and went back to stock. I think I will wait for official gingerbread or a new phone.
sounds like you froze back up assistant. you should stick to my list. Note: if you delete the stock texting app and replace it with handcent or something else you wont be able to recieve MMS's. just FYI.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad