anyone own a DX2 and a D3?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I cant decide between the D3 and the DX2.... anyone here own both and can offer some insight?

I dont use the keyboard....... but really like the front facing camera of the D3.

Like bigger screen size of DX2 but want Front facing camera........

I'm torn!!

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: anyone own a DX2 and a D3???

I went to Verizon yesterday and played with the D3 for a little while, nice phone.
Glad they increased the overall size, reminded a little of the DX2. I do not care one way or another about a front facing camera or physical keyboard. The dual core and GB were obvious, fast and smooth. Hopefully this will be the case with the DX2 very soon. That being said I found no reason to consider the D3. But if I owned the D3 I would not change for a DX2.
If the front facing is that important I would go with D3.

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm kinda in the same boat. Trying to decide wich one to get. I first narrowed my choices down to the DX2, D3 and the Droid Bionic (supposedly coming out on Aug. 4) . Just recently picked up a DX2 for wife. It was by accident though . We went in to buy a X, we were told they had in stock, then found out they were out so they offered us a DX2 for same price $49. Couldn't pass that up! So with my choices narrowed down to the 3 phones I've decided I probably wont wait for the Bionic(not to mention it would probably cost a ton more than the other 2 phones) . I like the X2 , but no gingerbread on it yet. It feels nice, looks nice and seems to run ok. The D3 has the keyboard, camera and gingerbread and seems to run quite smooth from what I've seen. So I'm more than likely going to go with the D3 myself. Hope any of this helps.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Played with the d3 at verizon. Great phone. The design reminds me more of the OG Droid with a bit more polish. The gingerbread blur 3d is very seamless and smooth. I'm sticking with the dx2, cuz I can't shake the 4.3in screen lol. The D3 did have some heft to it tho. Oh, and there were two reps from moto at the store. They told me to expect gingerbread and the new blur within 4-6 weeks. I trust moto reps more than verizon reps, but I'm still taking this with a grain of salt. But yea, the choice should be clear. If you want camera and keyboard, get the D3. If you want large screen and a tegra over a TI OMAP, get the d3.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I posted this on another forum for someone asking a similar question. Do note that I have an X2 and have not yet been able to get any hands-on time with the D3 (just going by vids/reviews online)

Droid 3 Pros:
-Global GSM capable
-Directional arrows & keyboard could be better for playing games/emulators
-1080p video recording
-Overall better/improved 8Mp camera stills
-Front-facing cam
-Comes with Gingerbread out of the box
-Newer/better/faster Gingerblur 3D UI
-Better/newer camera app
-Available inductive charging battery door
-16Gb internal storage
-A bit better assortment of bloatware

Droid X2 Pros:
-Thinner/sleeker
-FM Radio
-Physical buttons below the screen
-.3" bigger screen
-More/better THD games due to Tegra2
-Can utilize wide variety of (now affordable) DX accessories
-DX2 speakerphone volume could be better than D3 (according to some complaints I've read of the D3's speaker)

Personally? I'd definitely go with the D3, just based on how much better it is RIGHT now due to Gingerbread etc.

John Araki

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I use a DX2 and just got the wife a D3 because she needed a keyboard.

The D3 feels a whole lot faster and the blur is a lot better. (I changed my Dx2 to go launcher). Within moments, I was jealous of what she'd had vs. mine.

Sitting side to side though, the D3 makes the DX2 seem sleek by comparison.

skwoodwiva

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I cancelled my x2 fulfillment when I heard the 3 was out.I got the D3 but I could not stand the "bluetooth call termination beep" . It occurs on the d2 d2g and the d3. I wear my headset for many hours a day. I went to a store and found the x2 and the pro are quite. The d3 IS a great phone otherwise. I have the x2 now. WHY THIS TONE IS THERE I DO NOT KNOW. I is rather weak on speaker but over my ("HiFi" voyager pro+) headset it is very loud.

I would like the d3 but I would have to hack the tone. Could it be done with files from the x2?

Skwoo

Last edited:

JettaStorm97

May 10, 2010
Visit site
For thouse of you who have upgraded from the X to the X2... Have you noticed a difference in the volume of the alarm and speaker? Is it better or worse?

jenntas

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Droid 3 for 3 weeks (upgraded from a Droid X). Mine just keeps on rebooting over and over. I did a master reset 2 times already!! I didn't have these issues with my Droid X...I'm ready to exchange my Droid 3 for a Droid X 2! Any thoughts about whether this is a good idea? I actually miss my Droid X but it is nice having a keyboard...

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't do it. The D3's keyboard is awesome and it has a more efficent SoC and is likely to be better suported going forward. On top of that, it's got a nicer Blur than the DX2 and the front camera and 1080p video recording, if you care about such things.

My DX2 still reboots at random several times per week, even after the Gingerbread update. It appears to be more frequent if I am doing a lot of text messaging and/or camera usage or photo viewing (perhaps a memory leak?)

If you still have your old X around, you could try to install the latest GB update for it which reportedly is quite stable. Hopefully the D3 will see a nice bugfix update in the near future.

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded to a D3 from the original Dx. Two days later I had to return the D3 for another because the camera would force close and crash my phone. I returned the second D3 yesterday because all pics taken were blue. This time I went with the Droidx2. I haven't had the problems that plagued the two D3s I had earlier this week. Go with the Dx2.

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I posted this on another forum for someone asking a similar question. Do note that I have an X2 and have not yet been able to get any hands-on time with the D3 (just going by vids/reviews online)

Droid 3 Pros:
-Global GSM capable
-Directional arrows & keyboard could be better for playing games/emulators
-1080p video recording
-Overall better/improved 8Mp camera stills
-Front-facing cam
-Comes with Gingerbread out of the box
-Newer/better/faster Gingerblur 3D UI
-Better/newer camera app
-Available inductive charging battery door
-16Gb internal storage
-A bit better assortment of bloatware

Droid X2 Pros:
-Thinner/sleeker
-FM Radio
-Physical buttons below the screen
-.3" bigger screen
-More/better THD games due to Tegra2
-Can utilize wide variety of (now affordable) DX accessories
-DX2 speakerphone volume could be better than D3 (according to some complaints I've read of the D3's speaker)

Personally? I'd definitely go with the D3, just based on how much better it is RIGHT now due to Gingerbread etc.

My Dx2 also has gingerbread. The version I downloaded is smoother than the one that came with the two D3s I had, and subsequently returned for camera problems. If you don't need the keyboard and can live without the front facing camera, go with the Dx2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech